So I got puked on yesterday...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MindOverMatter

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Guy walked in to the pharmacy fresh from his surgery (bracelet still on, bandages around his neck). He hands me a script for Percocet, we fill it, and I ring him up. I'm telling him that he should take it with food when all of a sudden I see the look on his face change from "Whoah, this is awesome, I'm still in an anesthesia haze" to "Hey, this chap looks like he would like some of my last meal all over him". Since I have the instincts of a ninja, I am able to dive for cover, and keep the vast majority of it from touching me. However, the counter and floor at my window didn't fare so well.

The guy was super apologetic and embarrassed, explaining that the anesthesia is to blame, which is fine. I call for clean up, and amazingly every single grocery clerk in the store miraculously disappeared. There must have been a ton of carts in the parking lot that needed to be collected or something.

In my 5 years of working in a pharmacy, this was a first for me. Might be time to rethink my career choice. :)

Members don't see this ad.

I was told there would be no puke.

How did he get to the grocery store in the first place- his discharge instructions should have included something about NOT DRIVING. And where was this guy's wife/parent/adult child?

Regarding the barf, he should have been npo leading up to the procedure, so you probably weren't showered with anything more than crackers and ginger ale. (Not that it makes a world of difference.)

Has work offered to pay for laundry costs? I am legitimately curious.

Members don't see this ad :)
His brother drove him to the pharmacy, but somehow decided to let him come in instead of sitting in the car.

Without getting too graphic, it was very watery with a light green color with little chunks of light brown solid bits in it :)eek:), so most likely he was NPO beforehand.

No laundry services were offered.

How did he get to the grocery store in the first place- his discharge instructions should have included something about NOT DRIVING. And where was this guy's wife/parent/adult child?

Regarding the barf, he should have been npo leading up to the procedure, so you probably weren't showered with anything more than crackers and ginger ale. (Not that it makes a world of difference.)

Has work offered to pay for laundry costs? I am legitimately curious.

Don't forget the beef consomme!

Seems like they should have held him in the PACU just a little bit longer...

His brother drove him to the pharmacy, but somehow decided to let him come in instead of sitting in the car.

Without getting too graphic, it was very watery with a light green color with little chunks of light brown solid bits in it :)eek:), so most likely he was NPO beforehand.

No laundry services were offered.

Pretty graphic, IMO.:barf::smuggrin:

More than once, when I worked retail, we would allow customers into our bathroom for that reason.

I actually encountered more :barf: when I was a Target cashier in my late teens than I ever did as a pharmacist. It was usually either small children or someone who was visibly drunk.

More than once, when I worked retail, we would allow customers into our bathroom for that reason.

I actually encountered more :barf: when I was a Target cashier in my late teens than I ever did as a pharmacist. It was usually either small children or someone who was visibly drunk.
Within a week of my being hired as a tech at a major retail grocery/pharmacy chain, we had someone "streak" the store with feces. There was literally a trail from the front door to the back bathroom where they found him.

Surprisingly slow day at the pharmacy that day. :smuggrin:

Within a week of my being hired as a tech at a major retail grocery/pharmacy chain, we had someone "streak" the store with feces. There was literally a trail from the front door to the back bathroom where they found him.

That happened at my pharmacy before, too... that and the drug overdose in the bathroom... and the guy with scabies asking to get his BG checked.... and the baby with worms literally coming out of its nose being held to my face....

I feel sorry for these patients but some of that stuff is difficult for me to stomach. I have gotten more used to these types of things at the hospital though-- I have now smelled a C diff GI bleed, had blood splattered on me when I went to a code with a pharmacist, caught someone's vomit on a tray, and much more.

My perspective on pharmacy has changed so much since I have worked in the hospital and started school, though...for the better.

We were having a discussion on another board earlier today that started with a woman who had once worked at an upscale department store in the women's department, and the main reason she quit was because so many women would use the dressing rooms for a bathroom instead of walking across the store to the actual restrooms! :eek: :wow: It happened far too often for this to be due to illness, stress incontinence, or a small child who couldn't wait.

Seems like they should have held him in the PACU just a little bit longer...

I swear it's a contest to see how quickly a facility can discharge someone. Five years ago I had major surgery and was under full anesthesia for over four hours. Less than 50 minutes after I woke up, I was getting wheeled out the front door.

LOL. I almost got puked on today. Thankfully I got to the lady with a garbage can just in time, but there was some drippage/splatter on the counter and computer :/

I don't even know why she threw up (she puked before we could even get to her). The first aid people came, then paramedics. I had to get back to work, so I didn't find out what the cause may have been.

We were having a discussion on another board earlier today that started with a woman who had once worked at an upscale department store in the women's department, and the main reason she quit was because so many women would use the dressing rooms for a bathroom instead of walking across the store to the actual restrooms! :eek: :wow: It happened far too often for this to be due to illness, stress incontinence, or a small child who couldn't wait.

That sounds like remnants of my former life as a dressing room attendant. My favorite was finding sperm after couples used the joint rooms we had.

I've barfed in a Walgreen's before. :-x

I was really effing sick. Sorry y'all. At least it was just on the floor...

That sounds like remnants of my former life as a dressing room attendant. My favorite was finding sperm after couples used the joint rooms we had.
A friend of mine worked at Kohl's and this happened several times. Have some restraint people; how long does it take you to go home? :barf: