So I have some questions (for school).

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Inertially

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I need to do a research paper with a hypothesis/claim and then investigate/prove or disprove the claim I made for school (general ed english).
I just came to this forum because it's seems like a good place to ask.
Yeah, it's ghetto.

The topic I chose is:
The relation between near work and nearsightedness.

So, I really need a primary source. I'm thinking I could sort of get information here as some sort of survey or "interview"

What kind of information do you think would be relevant/i should put in this paper?

questions i have; they aren't very good, maybe you have better ideas to add:
1) what do you think causes nearsightedness?
2) statistics out there (in the news) shows that the percentage of people w/ nearsightedness has increased since... decades ago. Do you think that the increase in nearsightedness is related to technology/changing lifestyles?

Also, there's a study that claims lack of sunlight affects dopamine production which is the primary cause of myopia or something besides genetics and near work has nothing to do with it.

and also maybe include background on yourself like optom. student, optician, just some guy that is nearsighted, or anything else. that makes the information you provide more significant.

Members don't see this ad.

So I need to do a research paper with a hypothesis/claim and then investigate/prove or disprove the claim I made for school (general ed english).
Yeah, it's ghetto.

The topic I chose is:

So, I really need a primary source. I'm thinking I could sort of get information here as some sort of survey or "interview"

What kind of information do you think would be relevant/i should put in this paper?

2) statistics out there (in the news) shows that the percentage of people w/ nearsightedness has increased since... decades ago. Do you think that the increase in nearsightedness is related to technology/changing lifestyles?

Also, there's a study that claims lack of sunlight affects dopamine production which is the primary cause of myopia or something besides genetics and near work has nothing to do with it.

and also maybe include background on yourself like optom. student, optician, just some guy that is nearsighted, or anything else. that makes the information you provide more significant.

I don't mind answering your questions but honestly, I would suggest a different topic.

There has been so much written on this topic and it's so poorly understood and there's so many conflicting opinions on it that you can literally ask 100 different people and get 100 different answers. Thousands of eye doctors and scientists in the last 400 years have not been able to prove or disprove this hypothesis so a general ed English student probably isn't going to fare much better. lol

Yeah, it's ghetto.

The topic I chose is:

pretty much what KHE said, there is a lot of speculation and nothing is proven.

IMO, generally speaking "Inheritance loads the gun, environment pulls the trigger"