So I haven't gotten into medical school with a 38 MCAT, need advice please.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Yikes, TUCOM is one of the best DO schools out there, usually appearing in the top 30 for PC in the US News and World Report. The residency opportunity out of there would not have been bad if you had done well on the USMLE, and it looks like you are an awesome test taker. However, if you don't like the DO philosophy then it was better that you didn't go and end up resenting it later.

From what I know the Texas system sounds very limiting (I'd like someone to explain to me how it works if they have time). You'll prbably have better chances in applying nationaly, since you can access more schools. Just make sure you're productive this year w/ classes, research, volunteering, or clinical experience, so that you can show during interviews that your doing something that expands your horizens and stregnthens your experience. Good luck next round!

I think you mean TCOM. :) TUCOM is Touro.

Members don't see this ad.

Sad story. I have a 3.4 GPA and a 38 on the MCAT, and last year I matched to TCOM in Texas as part of the Texas match program. I decided I didn't want to go to a DO school since residency's are harder to match to, and with my 38 (14,13,11,O), that the only reason I matched there is I was disadvantaged by the fact that my MCAT score came out October 14th, the last day to submit the application. So, I declined, deciding to reapply next (this) year earlier in the cycle to gain acceptance to a better, namely MD, school.

So here I am this year, with no acceptances, and two dean's of admission telling me I was basically blacklisted for being accepted to TCOM and declining, and that it would be difficult for me to ever gain acceptance after committing such a heinous crime. They said it made me look like I care more about the degree than medicine, somehow making me unfit to be a doctor because I didn't want a DO degree.

I am tremendously bothered by not being in med school and on my way to becoming a doctor, which is a great deal important to me as I'm sure it is to many of you. I am left with a few options. In a rush to get into med school this year, either I can to apply to a carribean school, or TUCOM in Las Vegas where deadlines haven't passed and I still have time to gain acceptance. Can anyone give me any perspective or advice?

You're in a bit of trouble since you mentioned that your gpa is even lower (I think you mentioned it was in the 3.2- 3.3 range or something around there. As the ever-wise njbmd pointed out, your excellent mcat score is not going to make up for your low gpa and thus you need to apply super early next cycle and very broadly. Do not make the same mistakes a third time. Make sure you hit the "lower tier" allopathic schools extremely hard-- apply to most if not all in the country. If you want an allopathic acceptance (and there is no certainty, particularly in your case) you cannot be picky on location; apply to Temple, Drexel, EVMS, Tulane, etc. I think that it's pretty fair to say that you can forget about the upper tier schools and that the middle tier schools could be considered reaches. Do not spare money in this application cycle, especially if your mcat is going to expire (and since this is your third cycle, I'm assuming that it will after this year). I'll say it again; apply early and apply broadly!

DO schools would have been a great alternative, in my very humble opinion they are equal to MD schools and far superior to the Caribbean (let the flame wars ensue!) but I think that you may have shut that door when you decided that TCOM wasn't good enough for you. Therefore, you might want to apply to Caribbean schools next year as a backup just in case.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I'm really wondering what's seriously going on here. Over the course of the thread we seem to be getting trickles of information. Suddenly, we come to find the OP applied late a second time around. We still don't really know what schools outside of the Texas the OP applied to. Then we find that they may have been "reach" schools, without any research experience. Then we find that the already marginal GPA is actually lower, at a 3.2 or so (although AMCAS counts pluses and minuses, so I don't know what he's referring to). OP, let us know what schools you had applied to, which may give another "clue" to the mystery. Also, are there any more suprises you're holding out on us?

Also, I'd love to somehow bookmark this thread for when people start to ask if they should turn down an acceptance to reapply to a "better" school.

LOL, I have a 3.4 GPA w/ a 38MCAT as well with no med school acceptances.

Out of curiousity, why do so many premeds choose screen names incorporating "Dr", "Doctor", or "MD"?

Out of curiousity, why do so many premeds choose screen names incorporating "Dr", "Doctor", or "MD"?

Wishful thinking? For about half of all applicants (and a much smaller percentage of premeds before that stage), it's going to be the closest they ever come to having Dr in the name.

Wishful thinking? For about half of all applicants (and a much smaller percentage of premeds before that stage), it's going to be the closest they ever come to having Dr in the name.

Ouch, "truth burns" are the worst. :)

I only put it in my screenname because I was extremely unoriginal and couldn't think of anything else at the time. When there's a sn change wave again if you have other ideas I'm willing to listen. ;)

But I guess when I get used to having a screenname I just don't change it because I'm bad at coming up with screennames.

I have it because of the dr funk commercial way back from high school with VC in it. Back then I was going to either become a video game tester or a food critic.

Ouch, "truth burns" are the worst. :)
In Dr. Bagel's case, i think the name Dr. Bagel came only after she'd been admitted to med school. Since she's an MS I now at least she's on the road o becoming a doctor. Her previous username was something else which I always got the spelling wrong for.

If I don't make it to medical school the MD can always stand for "Mighty Demigod" or "McDonald's" or "Mr. Dunderhead."

Members don't see this ad :)
This is a sad thread. This process is so wierd. I am a pre-med who got into a top 10 med school (UW) and USUHS with a sub-30 MCAT and a 3.6/3.6 GPA with one publication and 100+ of ER volunteer work. I see all these MCAT "rock stars" and just think to myself, can you write an essay? Do you know how to have a mature conversation about medicine with your interviewers? I do not mean to be condescending. Good luck next year.

In Dr. Bagel's case, i think the name Dr. Bagel came only after she'd been admitted to med school. Since she's an MS I now at least she's on the road o becoming a doctor. Her previous username was something else which I always got the spelling wrong for.

Also, it's my cat's nickname -- the one in the avatar. She, too, went to Evil Medical School. ;) Considering I'm not a bagel nor have I ever had bagel as a nickname, I don't think it'd be a good description of me. :)

This is a sad thread. This process is so wierd. I am a pre-med who got into a top 10 med school (UW) and USUHS with a sub-30 MCAT and a 3.6/3.6 GPA with one publication and 100+ of ER volunteer work. I see all these MCAT "rock stars" and just think to myself, can you write an essay? Do you know how to have a mature conversation about medicine with your interviewers? I do not mean to be condescending. Good luck next year.

Well, great for you. It's not exactly helpful advice here. :rolleyes:

What is your science gpa? Your gpa is a little low for your score.

Second, proof read that personal statement. Make sure there is nothing but humbly told stories that strengthen you as a canidate. I have heard of many canidates with great scores that were not interviewed because of some statement/comment that came across as arrogent in a ps. Remember it is a priviledge not a right to practice medicine esp when you are still premed.

I am not really sure of all the details of admissions, so I have no idea how much declining the TCOM spot will hurt you with other TX schools...and it very may well hurt you. Residency is a match just like TX med school admissions. People want to know you honor you committments.

Slow down there Chuck. Before your head explodes, recall that UW is probably the most protectionistic of their in-staters. And, pray tell, what box did you check on the application?

Slow down there Chuck. Before your head explodes, recall that UW is probably the most protectionistic of their in-staters. And, pray tell, what box did you check on the application?

I totally agree with the bolded portion of the above statement :thumbup:

seriously, 20% acceptance rate?

It kind of helps when 80% of the country can't apply in the first place. :cool:

UW is the polar opposite of, well, every California school.

hold on everyone.....I did not post this to come off like I am the bomb (I am very lucky and feel like I won the lottery). I posted it to show how random this process is and a freakin high MCAT in reality is only a part of the application. If you can get an interview your discussion with your future medical peers I feel will have a more profound effect on your app. than your knowledge of titrations.

P.S. Yes, UW is very much an in-state only institution but your kidding yourself is this state isn't filled with medical rock stars all gunning for the same instiution. If you haven't applied to UW as a Washington State resident then shut your pie hole please.

In addition I am as white as they come and am a non-trad with a wife and two kids. My interview and essays made me competative. However having said that I would have no prayer at 90% of med schools across the nation. I realize I won the lottery.

Also where did you get 20% acceptance rate. try 6.4%

Peace

how random this process is

it's not random. If it were a lottery then it would be random. This is pretty straightforward: OP has a ****ty GPA and no research, why would any school want him?

P.S. Yes, UW is very much an in-state only institution
yes it is, and the four other states around it.

but your kidding yourself is this state isn't filled with medical rock stars all gunning for the same instiution.
You mean "you're" and still, I doubt there's something in the water up there making WA residents more apt at the MCAT and science courses.

If you haven't applied to UW as a Washington State resident then shut your pie hole please.

I see your UW and raise you ALL CALIFORNIA SCHOOLS.

20% in state acceptance rate, that's what you get. And the only out of state applicants you have to compete with are Wyoming, Alaska, Montana, and Idaho.
highest in state acceptance rate in california is 8.3% and face other applicants from every other state including, wait for it, Washington.

if you are honestly trying to argue that WA has more competitive applicants than California, well, have fun at your "top 10" school, I guess.

In addition I am as white as they come and am a non-trad with a wife and two kids. My interview and essays made me competative. However having said that I would have no prayer at 90% of med schools across the nation. I realize I won the lottery.

Peace

ok:

white: not helping you, but how many URMs you really think are there in Washington compared to California.

Non-trad: not hurting you, helping you, this is premed 101 stuff

you're right, you may not have a shot at 90% of other med schools, at UW, on the other hand, you have a great shot, because you're a WA resident. You didn't win the lottery, you won the game that UW makes the rules for.

20% in state acceptance rate, US News.

yup penny, we have one med school and you have how many to apply too......

so your argument is with me or with STATISTICS?

honestly? Rationalize your 20% acceptance rate. Go for it. While you're at it, explain to me how we have so many med schools with DRASTICALLY LOWER acceptance rates than your one med school.

go on, prove how you're not a UW charity case.

edit// and you meant "to apply to" you don't need that extra 'o'

No charity case here. UW weighs your interview as 50% and I stroked my interview. UW isn't all about numbers. Some people assume a high MCAT=Great Doctor. No offense to the high MCATers but personality is more important as almost anyone can go into med school and mass memorize. UW wants individuals who are great people who will be involved in many others areas of world citizenship etc... but I digress. Have you applied yet penny? You seem pretty pissy. I wish you the best if you haven't applied yet and if you are already a med student I hope I never have to work with you.

peace

No charity case here. UW weighs your interview as 50% and I stroked my interview. UW isn't all about numbers. Some people assume a high MCAT=Great Doctor. No offense to the high MCATers but personality is more important as almost anyone can go into med school and mass memorize. UW wants individuals who are great people who will be involved in many others areas of world citizenship etc... but I digress. Have you applied yet penny? You seem pretty pissy. I wish you the best if you haven't applied yet and if you are already a med student I hope I never have to work with you.

peace

I'm one of those california applicants who got in to a california school. And I share your sentiment, assuming you graduate, I don't think I'd like to work with doctors who don't understand simple statistics.

thanks for addressing the question though, I'm glad you didn't just sidestep it and make a self-righteous personality assessment. I hear that the main quality that all good doctors have is when they don't know the answer to a question they can always hug it out. Great work.

Ugh, I love all of these Washingtonians who don't understand how good they have it. Not everyone is blessed with a top 10 medical school in their backyard that is swatting away the out of state competition. I happen to be blessed with a top 10 med school that boasts it accepts no more than 50% in-state students.

This is such a premed, pre-allo myth. :rolleyes:
MDs and DOs pretty much treat hypertension, diabetes, etc.. the same way.
MDs and DOs pretty much perform the same ACL repair on the football player's blown out knee.
Take a look at match lists from some of the DO schools this year and last - you'll see them in every type of specialty there is.
Instead of perpetuating 'things you've heard' about DO philosophy and training, find out for yourself.
This would be a good idea for people (like the OP) who actually apply to DO schools, too, you would think.
This is why the motivation comes into question when someone turns down an acceptance - 'do they want to be a physician, or do they want the letters?'

I don't know if it is such a "pre-med, pre-allo myth". I would tend to agree that there are distinct differences between MD and DO programs. While there are indeed DOs in every specialty, it is extremely disingenous to imply that they match into non-primary care specialties with the same ease or frequency as MD graduates--the vast majority of DO graduates go into primary care, which is logical since that is the focus of their education. The emphasis placed on osteopathic manipulation varies in different DO programs but is an important difference in DO v. MD education that students may or may not agree with and wish to invest time in learning. Notice I am not making any qualitative judgements about DO v. MD education, only pointing out that there are indeed significant differences between the two and it is not unfounded for someone to feel that one or the other may be better for them depending on healthcare philosophies and future specialty interests. I agree absolutely though that nobody should apply to a program, DO or MD, that they wouldn't actually attend, and therefore should research the differences and make a decision about which is best for them before applying.

Ugh, I love all of these Washingtonians who don't understand how good they have it. Not everyone is blessed with a top 10 medical school in their backyard that is swatting away the out of state competition. I happen to be blessed with a top 10 med school that boasts it accepts no more than 50% in-state students.

No one is blessed with that except us Texans, who also have a top 10 school (Baylor) in our backyard, who gives great preference to in-state students...I believe their class has to contain 90% in-state per rule.

hold on everyone.....I did not post this to come off like I am the bomb (I am very lucky and feel like I won the lottery). I posted it to show how random this process is and a freakin high MCAT in reality is only a part of the application. If you can get an interview your discussion with your future medical peers I feel will have a more profound effect on your app. than your knowledge of titrations.

P.S. Yes, UW is very much an in-state only institution but your kidding yourself is this state isn't filled with medical rock stars all gunning for the same instiution. If you haven't applied to UW as a Washington State resident then shut your pie hole please.

Peace

You implied very strongly in your first post that the op didn't get in because her personal statement sucked or because she couldn't talk to people, all traits that apparently you excel at since you got two acceptances. Go back and reread it to see where you might have come off as just a wee bit insulting.

No one is blessed with that except us Texans, who also have a top 10 school (Baylor) in our backyard, who gives great preference to in-state students...I believe their class has to contain 90% in-state per rule.

Wait, is Baylor really 90%? Seriously? I thought it was 75% max. Maybe I should be rethinking Baylor...

actually, if you assume the # of med school applicants is proportional to state population:

the population of CA is about 3.7x the population of WA+Alaska+Montana+Idaho+Wyoming

but there are only 3.1x as many seats in public medical schools in CA given to in-staters as at UW given to in-staters

and the average UW matriculating MCAT is less than that of any of the UCs (going on 2004 data, but probably hasn't changed) so there is obviously more competition

can't argue with the 20% in-state acceptance rate versus the lowly rate in CA schools

..and about the "can you write an essay?" question...
obviously spelling doesn't matter on these forums...but two common grammatical mistakes they teach you in middle school (not typos, but bad grammar):
i think everyone applying to medical school should know when to use too vs. to and you're vs. your

I don't know if it is such a "pre-med, pre-allo myth". I would tend to agree that there are distinct differences between MD and DO programs. While there are indeed DOs in every specialty, it is extremely disingenous to imply that they match into non-primary care specialties with the same ease or frequency as MD graduates--the vast majority of DO graduates go into primary care, which is logical since that is the focus of their education. The emphasis placed on osteopathic manipulation varies in different DO programs but is an important difference in DO v. MD education that students may or may not agree with and wish to invest time in learning. Notice I am not making any qualitative judgements about DO v. MD education, only pointing out that there are indeed significant differences between the two and it is not unfounded for someone to feel that one or the other may be better for them depending on healthcare philosophies and future specialty interests. I agree absolutely though that nobody should apply to a program, DO or MD, that they wouldn't actually attend, and therefore should research the differences and make a decision about which is best for them before applying.

I agree that there are differences, probably the biggest being access to NIH funded research. If research is a huge thing for you, you probably should go allopathic. As for the primary care thing, some osteopathic schools really emphasize it and some don't. A good chunk of osteopathic schools have fewer than 50% of their grads going into primary care (based on USNews data), which is pretty much in line with most allopathic schools. Not wanting to do primary care might be a good reason to not go to one of those osteopathic schools that are ranked for putting the most students into primary care, but it's not a good reason to not go to schools like DMU, KCOM, KCUMB, etc., all of which place half or more of their students into specialties.

I agree, though, that matching in some fields in allopathic programs is harder for osteopathic grads. If the op were dead set on allopathic derm, she probably wouldn't get there from an osteopathic school. Of course, that's probably not the best angle for her to play up in a personal statement. :)

Wait, is Baylor really 90%? Seriously? I thought it was 75% max. Maybe I should be rethinking Baylor...

My apologies, I went way high in the %. According to their website 76% are Texas residents.

peace

One reason people are probably taking issue with you is in your first post on this thread, you implied that anyone with a high MCAT and no acceptances must not be able to write an essay or carry on a mature conversation. That's pretty condescending, and saying, "I don't mean to be condescending" doesn't make it any less so. Nobody is saying you didn't earn your acceptance, but you should consider that you got into your state school--one which accepts very few OOS students--with below average numbers, and these two things probably weren't entirely coincidental. A CA applicant with similar numbers and without your advantage of residency in a state with a med school that has a very high in-state acceptance rate would likely not have made it in, no matter how fantastic their personality may be. If you really don't want to be offensive, you should be more careful about assuming why you or anyone else did or didn't get accepted.

Originally Posted by psipsina
I remember there was a post on SDN a while ago about a school declaring that not pushing in chairs after yourself after a meeting was unproffessional and they were threatening disciplinary action about it.
I am surprised at the lack of courtesy that seems to be the rule with the majority of students. I notice people don't usually do things such as push chairs back when they leave the table, and I find it weird because I always thought it was the proper thing to do.

Same with not letting doors slam behind you, or being mindful of people in hallways (like when people are blocking a hallway and then they give you an annoyed look when you give them an "excuse me"....um...you're blocking the way).

I am kind of glad schools are doing this, if just because it should be common sense.

:laugh: Oh my god. If they did this at my school at least 50% (probably closer to 75%) of the students would have disciplinary action taken against them. People here are sooo rude. In my chem lecture the other day (300 person stadium lecture hall) the second the bell rang people from the next class stormed in. There are roughly 275 people trying to get out the classroom, while all of these people from the next class are pushing to get in. They even pushed their way into the rows of seats while people are trying to get out (Picture an older lecture hall - there is just barely enough room for one person to walk through each row). Then they start climbing over the chairs to go from one row to another. I couldn't believe it. You have ten minutes before class starts, what the hell is the rush? Have some respect people!! :mad:

I am surprised at the lack of courtesy that seems to be the rule with the majority of students. I notice people don't usually do things such as push chairs back when they leave the table, and I find it weird because I always thought it was the proper thing to do.

Same with not letting doors slam behind you, or being mindful of people in hallways (like when people are blocking a hallway and then they give you an annoyed look when you give them an "excuse me"....um...you're blocking the way).

I am kind of glad schools are doing this, if just because it should be common sense.

Yeah you know I can't believe I totally skipped over this post. I work in a computer lab and I swear to god it drives me up the wall a million times over because every single day that I'm there, there is not one person who has the common decency to push in their chairs when they leave. A lot of students even leave their garbage there for us to pick up.

And yeah I know what you mean about people blocking halls. Same with parking lots and driving lanes in the parking lots. I was at Publix the other day and a woman nearly ran me over when I was crossing on the proper side walk so I got pissed and she saw me as I was exiting publix (the grocery store for those of you who don't know what Publix is) and was getting in my face. She was acting as if her being handicapped gave her some sort of special treatment. Then when I went to a different Publix just 2 days ago, this old man in a mercedes first gets too close when he sees me backing up a bit because I couldn't make the turn and needed to reverse so I got a bit pissed. Then he got angry and first he overtakes me in a dangerous way in a parking lot of all places and then he gets out of his car to curse me out and thenwhen I tried to get to the other side of the lane he started acting like he was going to block off the lane again. I swear some people are soooooooooooo ******ed.

Common decency, common sense, and down right maturity lack in a lot of people. When you are a kid you'd hope people would grow up and grow out of it. But when you become an adult you learn that there are often some kids who are more mature then many adults.

Yeah and then another top 20 school in the form of UTSW, your future school.

Not to mention that Texas schools outside of Baylor and UTSW are easier to get into then many other states like Cali.

AND not only do you get preferred acceptance, you also have one of the cheapest in-state tuition rates you can find. If I ever get in out there I'm so living off campus to declare residency to save some money (unless its Baylor of course, cuz instate=out of state)

Not that this is really a significant issue, nor is it germane to the OP, but does anyone have a good source for the ratio of total number of California applicants to in-state acceptances at all California schools? Each school in California has a lowish individual acceptance rate, but a Californian posted somewhere before that when all in-state applicants and all in-state acceptance offers are taken into consideration, it turns out that ~25% of California residents are accepted to at least one California school each year. Unfortunately I'm not having any luck finding that thread with the search function. Does someone else here remember it? More importantly, can someone point me to some good, hard numbers (not from SDN) that show whether this is true? Unfortunately you can't simply add up the number of applicants to each school as listed in the MSAR or the US-News guide, because most people apply to multiple schools.

In the interest of transparency, I will say that I'm going to UW in the fall as an in-state student, so my question is not entirely disinterested. I'm genuinely curious, however, and not just trying to stir up a row. I do readily acknowledge that the laws of probability have worked in my favor at UW, and I'm grateful for that.

AND not only do you get preferred acceptance, you also have one of the cheapest in-state tuition rates you can find. If I ever get in out there I'm so living off campus to declare residency to save some money (unless its Baylor of course, cuz instate=out of state)

False! Baylor has a hugely discounted in-state tuition rate, by like 20 grand or so. It's enough that I would purchase a condo to declare residency, and pay for it in the savings of the newly afforded in-state tuition...

False! Baylor has a hugely discounted in-state tuition rate, by like 20 grand or so. It's enough that I would purchase a condo to declare residency, and pay for it in the savings of the newly afforded in-state tuition...

Isn't Baylor in state tuition about 11k or so?? I don't know about out of state, but I recall Anastasis mentioning it in the random thread on the MCAT forum.

Let me clarify, that what I recall Ana stating was in reference to in state tuition. :p

Isn't Baylor in state tuition about 11k or so?? I don't know about out of state, but I recall Anastasis mentioning it in the random thread on the MCAT forum.

Let me clarify, that what I recall Ana stating was in reference to in state tuition. :p

I thought it was nearer to 7. Either way, OOS is in the thirties.

Trueee!!! Yeah them Texans got it sweet!!! Not even Fl. people have it that good for in state.

From the 2006-2007 MSAR (sorry it's old)...

Resident: $6,550
Non-Resident: $19,650
Fees (either): $3,008

Curriculum/Living Cost/Facilities: Priceless

It's about time people stop assuming that anyone who scores 36+ MCAT is automatically a socially inept dork who's never read a book besides textbooks and is forced into medicine by his/her family.

It's about time people stop assuming that anyone who scores 36+ MCAT is automatically a socially inept dork who's never read a book besides textbooks and is forced into medicine by his/her family.

Heresy!

Everyone knows standardized test scores are inversely proportional to how good of a doctor you will become

damn US news for being completely inept...

:thumbup: