So I think i bombed my calculus quiz...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Road2Success

Village drunk
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Basically got really nervous because I was getting stuck on some problems. Missed some steps and made some mistakes initially which came to me after i turned in the quiz. What can i do to improve in the future?

Members don't see this ad.

Basically got really nervous because I was getting stuck on some problems. Missed some steps and made some mistakes initially which came to me after i turned in the quiz. What can i do to improve in the future?
first of all, I need to ask, is calculus required for your major? If not, I would drop it like a bad habit. Most of the time the first test you take in the class is a good indicator of how well you will continue to do (provided the test was of equal difficulty to future exams). And if you're bombing now (especially in math course) it's probably because you lack foundation in the subject.
If you're only taking calculus because it's a requirement for some schools I would wait until the summer when you can focus solely on the class and probably do better.

first of all, I need to ask, is calculus required for your major? If not, I would drop it like a bad habit. Most of the time the first test you take in the class is a good indicator of how well you will continue to do (provided the test was of equal difficulty to future exams). And if you're bombing now (especially in math course) it's probably because you lack foundation in the subject.
If you're only taking calculus because it's a requirement for some schools I would wait until the summer when you can focus solely on the class and probably do better.

Yes its required for my major and I never seemed to have a good foundation in algebra. Fractions used too kill me. I need this class or I would drop it. What can I do too improve and get better at it?

Members don't see this ad :)
Practice makes perfect. Also if you've got a bad foundation in algebra then yes, calculus is going to be a pain. But for what it's worth if you do enough problems you'll learn the algebra you need.

Practice makes perfect. Also if you've got a bad foundation in algebra then yes, calculus is going to be a pain. But for what it's worth if you do enough problems you'll learn the algebra you need.
to add to this, I would get a personal tutor, someone really good at the subject. Also, try revisiting old algebraic concepts that trip you up, khan academy is a really good source of information.

Yes its required for my major and I never seemed to have a good foundation in algebra. Fractions used too kill me. I need this class or I would drop it. What can I do too improve and get better at it?

So calc is required for your major, but is this class required? I assume it is, but several schools offer different levels of intro calculus.

That being said, if the semester just started and you are already having problems, you need to either 1) go to math tutoring EVERY day, go to office hours, and do lots of extra practice problems or 2) drop the class. If you aren't good at math, even intro calc will get out of hand VERY quickly.

Good luck!

Don't get nervous, don't make mistakes, get the right answer?

When did this become the "baw I got a bad grade on my quiz and now I feel poopy" forum?

Weak username to thread title ratio.

Listen to the man!! If calculus isnt required for your major then drop it! I would of done it! That D on my transcript isn't making it look pretty. Might have to retake it to get rid of it before applying to medical school. Any suggestions?

first time I took calculus ever

had a couple people doing repeats anyway

just do as many problems as possible come with questions if your teacher permits like mine did , ask him/her to help you out explaining

but the best way is to do as many problems as you can, math can't really be memorized per se just some tricks methodologies for derivatives etc

note...........IF you're required of this ........

Should i keep doing problems over and over again or is it okay too study my class notes?

Should i keep doing problems over and over again or is it okay too study my class notes?
for the most part, I find that notes for math aren't very useful for studying, If this was something like Biology or Psychology then I would go about that approach. Practicing the problems is perhaps the only way to truly master the material. Practice until your hands cramp, practice until it becomes second nature.

i think class notes are good for supplements like how did I come to that solution

but I found with like everyone else said repetition is key

also i've found khanacademy helps

http://www.khanacademy.org/#browse

sometimes visually seeing things how he explains and clarifies things alot helps alot

go watch, only 7-10 chunks VERY helpful

Most of the time, the problems I got in class were exactly from my textbook. And the problems in my textbook liked to skip assumed steps that I thought were important in learning the concept. So... what I ended up doing was just doing a basic problem and manipulating as many different things as possible. This is pretty much what I do for every class though.

If you're nervous about a calculus quiz then how are you going to handle a patient bleeding out?

Success only comes before work in the dictionary bro! Find old exams, go to office hours, read the textbook, and do the things you gotta do to get where you want to be!

I have yet to take Calculus and it is a pre-req for Pharmacy so I'm trying to get all the help that I can get.

I would recommend these:

Khan Academy and PatrickJMT.