so many derm applicants post a residency?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

crys20

make it happen!
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a MS1 starting to do some research work with the derm dept at my school. A good number of the residents I've been talking to have already done a medicine or peds residency, some even post-fellowship. It's somewhat discouraging in that I wonder just how impossible that makes it for the fresh out of med people to even have a chance at matching? I want to try to do derm, but I wonder if it's even worth it to get my hopes up, you know? I'm doing research and will most likely get a few good derm pubs, and some non-derm pubs from some other research I have going on simultaneously this summer. I probably won't be AOA, but maybe, and if not AOA would probably be top 20%. Maybe I could get a 235 or 240 step (basing this off folks I know who scored in that range who I feel I'm equally capable as, plus willing to kill myself in prep)...This is all so speculative I know...I just don't know, I guess, if I should try to stop loving so many things about derm and start looking elsewhere for other nice fields. :)

Members don't see this ad.

I'm a MS1 starting to do some research work with the derm dept at my school. A good number of the residents I've been talking to have already done a medicine or peds residency, some even post-fellowship. It's somewhat discouraging in that I wonder just how impossible that makes it for the fresh out of med people to even have a chance at matching? I want to try to do derm, but I wonder if it's even worth it to get my hopes up, you know? I'm doing research and will most likely get a few good derm pubs, and some non-derm pubs from some other research I have going on simultaneously this summer. I probably won't be AOA, but maybe, and if not AOA would probably be top 20%. Maybe I could get a 235 or 240 step (basing this off folks I know who scored in that range who I feel I'm equally capable as, plus willing to kill myself in prep)...This is all so speculative I know...I just don't know, I guess, if I should try to stop loving so many things about derm and start looking elsewhere for other nice fields. :)
Most Derm residents match directly from med school and have not done another residency.And many are not AOA.So far you are doing all the right things.If you get to know the right people at your program and are well liked you will have good shot.Its still very early in your training so there is plenty of opportunity to investigate other specialties over the next several years.almost anything else will be an easier match if you change your mind.
People who get into derm have to be highly dedicated to it because it is such an uphill goal but its too early to give up if you are seriously interested.