So my girlfriends dad thinks he can do better than us on the MCAT...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted74029

My girlfriend, who is also premed, was discussing the MCAT with her father and he started claiming he could do better than her and myself on the exam. So I just so happen to have a few diagnostics laying around here and I'll see how he does....he works for southwest airlines and has probably never taken a science class in his life.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
My girlfriend, who is also premed, was discussing the MCAT with her father and he started claiming he could do better than her and myself on the exam. So I just so happen to have a few diagnostics laying around here and I'll see how he does....he works for southwest airlines and has probably never taken a science class in his life.

did u also make a bet with him that if he doesn't do as well as you , you get to tax her in front of him?

Watch him get a 42.

he was probably just giving you youngins shiet. older people do that sometimes. even i do it. i told a buddy that i could out do him on the gmat, knowind darn well that id get owned by that thing.

Iono, word on the street is that you need at least a 35 on your MCAT before they will interview you at southwest airlines. :)

*EDIT*

Wait.. or am I confusing that with IQ... well it's one of those numbers :D

Iono, word on the street is that you need at least a 35 on your MCAT before they will interview you at southwest airlines. :)

*EDIT*

Wait.. or am I confusing that with IQ... well it's one of those numbers :smile:
and a Z in writing, with no section under 11

give the guy a break, he was just probably trying to shoot the sh1t with his daughter and her bf best he could.

Members don't see this ad :)
I wonder how good you have to be to get a 3 total. Ofcoures it is still easier than getting a 45, but is it easier than a 40? 35? 30? it's very difficult to always pick the wrong answer

I wonder how good you have to be to get a 3 total. Ofcoures it is still easier than getting a 45, but is it easier than a 40? 35? 30? it's very difficult to always pick the wrong answer

In order to get a 3, you would have to know the right answer to almost every question and then select the wrong answer.

Who knows.. He could be right.. For all you know he's an MD who chose to work for Southwest Airlines because he was getting old and wanted to travel the world.. rofl

In order to get a 3, you would have to know the right answer to almost every question and then select the wrong answer.

no becuase you can say to get a 3, you would have to know at least one wrong answer to every question. Thus it's not as difficult as a 45.

ahh... maybe he just said southwest and you thought he meant the airline. But in reality he meant Southwestern :D

Or you could leave the exam completely blank.

ahh... maybe he just said southwest and you thought he meant the airline. But in reality he meant Southwestern :D

haha that would be excellent

Yeah he was probably fornicating with you.

I think the most likely score would be ~13-17...

that's like getting 20-25% of the PS + BS sections right totally guessing, then getting like an 8 on VR.

no becuase you can say to get a 3, you would have to know at least one wrong answer to every question. Thus it's not as difficult as a 45.

Exactly. Knowing one wrong answer out of four is easier than knowing the one right answer (you have 3/4 wrong on every question).

I second the 15-20, since he may get around a 8 on the VR and then just guess on the other two. If he has been an avid reader for most of his life, then he may get a very high score on the VR (12+) and then he may get close to 20. It's very hard to see him break 20 though, unless there is something in his background that we aren't aware of.

I think the most important question here is how will he do on the writing?

I think the most important question here is how will he do on the writing?

Actually I was more worried about how much Ochem he remembers from his last flight

wait, what time is it? is he done yet? is he taking the diagnostic today?
i just got back from class... this is exciting. :corny: i'm betting 13. is he doing essay questions too? you can get all those example prompts from AAMC.

here's my official breakdown... 3 BS 2 PS 8 VR (that seems to be the going thought). and if he does the prompts... an M .

boom.:thumbup:

He may do decent on verbal....ill give h im a 7...bio-2 and PS-2 for a whopping 11

Or you could leave the exam completely blank.

actually you can't because there is penalty for guessing if you are wrong. Thus if he leaves it all blank he would score more than the person who got every question wrong.

actually you can't because there is penalty for guessing if you are wrong. Thus if he leaves it all blank he would score more than the person who got every question wrong.

i wasn't aware of any penalty for guessing. what is this you speak of? are points subtracted for wrong answers? can it truly be?

there's no penalty for guessing. that's the first thing you learn about the MCAT. it is NOT scored like the SAT.

there's no penalty for guessing. that's the first thing you learn about the MCAT. it is NOT scored like the SAT.

thank you. i thought that was right, and i have re-read the MCATessentials pdf file just to make sure... page 15 if you're interested.

Are we doing side bets? Cause $5 he's really got the joke on you if you're actually preparing to do this.

Uh... things must have changed since my day becuase I was sure I was told that there was penalty for guessing... is this some new computer testing munbo jumbo?

I took the written and there was no guessing penalty.

Okay I have to go back and check now cuz I swear I thought there was penalty. Cuz otherwise why did they used to tell me it's better to read 80% of the passages and get all the answer correct and leaving the rest answers blank than to randomly guess on the un-read passages? Their test strat must have worked cuz I know I didn't get into the 99 percentile by luck?

Okay I have to go back and check now cuz I swear I thought there was penalty. Cuz otherwise why did they used to tell me it's better to read 80% of the passages and get all the answer correct and leaving the rest answers blank than to randomly guess on the un-read passages? Their test strat must have worked cuz I know I didn't get into the 99 percentile by luck?
I guessed on all of them and got a 99%ile.

see for yourself...http://www.aamc.org/students/mcat/mcatessentials.pdf

page 15, "• There is no penalty for guessing."

maybe the ones you left blank are explained by this, "Please note that each multiple-choice section will include some experimental items that do not
count toward your score." p.4

if they were discreet q's, otherwise maybe everyone sucked hard on the same questions you left blank too, and so it was all curved in your flavor.

Last edited:
see for yourself...http://www.aamc.org/students/mcat/mcatessentials.pdf

page 15, "• There is no penalty for guessing."

maybe the ones you left blank are explained by this, "Please note that each multiple-choice section will include some experimental items that do not
count toward your score." p.4

if they were discreet q's, otherwise maybe everyone sucked hard on the same questions you left blank too, and so it was all curved in your flavor.

I must be getting old becuase I swear I remember differently... *sigh* time to take my meds for alzheimer's

i seriously want to know what this guy scores...i hate it when egotistical elders think they can outsmart students who have been studying their butts off for the past 15-16 years of their life...

I'm betting 10 PS, 10 BS, 13 VR

watch him do it

I think her Dad just wants to fit in, cut him some slack.

Fail.

This is a test. It has nothing to do with the MCAT or intelligence or whatever. It has to do with the fact that you have a relationship with this man's daughter.

You are failing.

NEVER EVER challenge your girlfriend's father to anything.

I think her Dad just wants to fit in, cut him some slack.

bingo .. if he said that, you should've just laughed and said, "i'll bet, I never really cared about that thing anyways. Do you like science?" Of course you poured your soul into it, but who was watching? Certainly not him.

I just hope that when it happened you didn't say something like, "zOMG you n00b! You're not even worthy to see the awesomna powa that is the l33t MCAT!"

Fail.

This is a test. It has nothing to do with the MCAT or intelligence or whatever. It has to do with the fact that you have a relationship with this man's daughter.

You are failing.

NEVER EVER challenge your girlfriend's father to anything.

What is the rationale behind this statement?

I just hope that when it happened you didn't say something like, "zOMG you n00b! You're not even worthy to see the awesomna powa that is the l33t MCAT!"

LOL!!!!!!!!!! :laugh:

two hours later, you talley up his score and is shocked to see that he has scored 38 with a 15 in Biological Sciences section. He turns to you with a smug grin and says to you in an even tone, "Pwned"