So my last boss said I had "attendance issues"

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

crossurfingers

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I called her this morning to ask if it would be ok if I put her down for job references since she was my supervisor. She said that the company doesn't do references, but even if they did she would have to tell them about my "attendance problems". Gee, thanks for letting me know about these "attendance problems" after I voluntarily quit. I was on the payroll for 24 hrs/pay period but mostly worked 20 hrs/pay period because they couldn't fit me in the schedule. We give our availability to one of the nurses that makes up the schedules, and those schedules are supposed to be approved by her in the first place. And if someone wanted some extra hours, I'd give them mine. It was always ok'd by the charge nurse. I never once called in or cancelled and left them short a worker. I wasn't benefitted either so the schedulers told me it didn't matter if I was short hours. She only mentioned it was a problem after I gave my resignation. Shouldn't she have talked to me beforehand?

So now I have "attendance issues" on my record now for any future employers that contact her. :mad: Do you think this affects my future job hunts significantly? It was a hospital secretary job and I'm applying for pharmacy type jobs right now.

Members don't see this ad.

crossurfingers said:
I called her this morning to ask if it would be ok if I put her down for job references since she was my supervisor. She said that the company doesn't do references, but even if they did she would have to tell them about my "attendance problems". Gee, thanks for letting me know about these "attendance problems" after I voluntarily quit. I was on the payroll for 24 hrs/pay period but mostly worked 20 hrs/pay period because they couldn't fit me in the schedule. We give our availability to one of the nurses that makes up the schedules, and those schedules are supposed to be approved by her in the first place. And if someone wanted some extra hours, I'd give them mine. It was always ok'd by the charge nurse. I never once called in or cancelled and left them short a worker. I wasn't benefitted either so the schedulers told me it didn't matter if I was short hours. She only mentioned it was a problem after I gave my resignation. Shouldn't she have talked to me beforehand?

So now I have "attendance issues" on my record now for any future employers that contact her. :mad: Do you think this affects my future job hunts significantly? It was a hospital secretary job and I'm applying for pharmacy type jobs right now.

Since they don't give references it doesnt matter. They will just give the canned responses of what dates you were employed and if the informatin you provided on your application is correct. Most places of employment do not give out opinionated references anymore due to fears of potential lawsuits.

Attendance problem refers to someone who calls in sick and/or tardy often. If not, you should have asked why your ex supervisor felt that you have an "attendance problem."

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah, I'd have to agree(Not that it means much). All your supervisor is capable of doing is verifying your previous employment since company policy prevents them from giving references. So, you're good to go!

Here is the deal. Former employers sometimes do tattle on you to potential employers if they know and trust the pharmacist who is calling them for a reference. If you are applying in the same geographical region, I'd be wary.

Perhaps you could write a short polite note to your former boss explaining that you wanted to clarify that what she percieved as attendance problems were actually your attempts to accomodate the requests of other staff members and that all schedule changes were approved in advance and in accordance with staffing policies. Then note that on top of this accomodating behavior, you had never cancelled any of your scheduled shifts. Finish up by thanking her for taking the time to discuss the matter with you. It'll probably end up in your file there. Be careful not to burn any bridges you don't want burned.