So sad

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Fakesmile

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm starting this thread because I feel like venting.. I did a summer undergrad research in a lab in 2008 summer, then volunteered in the same lab for two months. Now I want to do an honors research course in the same lab. I emailed the PI asking about it but he said the lab is short of funding so he can't take any more people for now. Something was strange, so I made a fake email account and emailed him asking about the same thing. He said he's looking forward to meeting the fake person and discussing about possible projects for the honors research course. Throughout my undergrad research and volunteering in 2008, the PI was nice and didn't give me any hint that he hated me. He even wrote several reference letters for me which won me awards/scholarships. But wow... :( So sad..

Members don't see this ad.

wow that's hardcore. what made you think something was strange?

Members don't see this ad :)
just try talking to him again. that's super clingy ex-girlfriend type behavior you're displaying and usually when people act like that it only makes things worse.

just try talking to him again. that's super clingy ex-girlfriend type behavior you're displaying and usually when people act like that it only makes things worse.

To tell you the whole story, I actually emailed him about this last summer (June) of 2009, asking if I could do honors research in his lab in 2010 summer or fall. At that time, he said the same thing as now, that the lab is short of funding so he can't take any more people "for now". He also said that he applied for funding and the process would take 12 months or more. Now almost 12 months have passed since last summer of 2009, so that's why I've emailed him again wondering if he received funding yet.

OP, it's a bit sick and disturbing that you believe it's okay to behave in such an obsessive and deceitful manner. Whatever this PI doesn't like about you may have something to do with his detection of the same character which you're now displaying for us. If you continue to do this sort of thing, you may be caught eventually and could pay severely for it. Please grow up before you're admitted to medical school and begin seeing patients.

save face and maintain a positive relationship with this prof.

get over it and go work in another lab that interests you. it's undergrad research, it's not going to make or break you.... stop whining please!!!

save face and maintain a positive relationship with this prof.

get over it and go work in another lab that interests you. it's undergrad research, it's not going to make or break you.... stop whining please!!!

I wanted to stay in one lab my entire undergrad career... :(

I made a fake email account and emailed him asking about the same thing. He said he's looking forward to meeting the fake person and discussing about possible projects for the honors research course.

set up a meeting from the fake email account. get a disguise (not one where he'll recognize you) and go. then casually mention the real you, like, "oh yeah, Fakesmile recommended your lab so I thought I'd email you"...that way you can gauge how he REALLY feels.

OP, it's a bit sick and disturbing that you believe it's okay to behave in such an obsessive and deceitful manner. Whatever this PI doesn't like about you may have something to do with his detection of the same character which you're now displaying for us. If you continue to do this sort of thing, you may be caught eventually and could pay severely for it. Please grow up before you're admitted to medical school and begin seeing patients.

It's sick and disturbing that you assume that I believe that it's okay to behave in such an obsessive and deceitful manner. I understand what I did was not right, but what he did to me wasn't fair either. An eye for an eye.

Members don't see this ad :)
set up a meeting from the fake email account. get a disguise (not one where he'll recognize you) and go. then casually mention the real you, like, "oh yeah, Fakesmile recommended your lab so I thought I'd email you"...that way you can gauge how he REALLY feels.

I would never do that because that's just not right. But doing so might give him a shock attack.

I would never do that because that's just not right. But doing so might give him a shock attack.

i think you should do it just to show perseverance and sticktoitiveness. that way when you pull off the disguise the professor will have no choice but recognize your awesomeness and give you your rightful spot in the lab.

He was trying to spare your feelings, and I doubt you would've liked it any better if he'd outright told you he didn't want you working for him any more. It's more than a little weird that you're trying to justify stalker-ish behavior by claiming some wrong on your PI's part. You should've known what was up without any deception when people you knew started getting jobs at his lab while you got the cold shoulder. With the scholarships and whatnot, it sounds like this guy has really gone out of his way to not screw you over despite apparently not wanting you around. It's not him. It's you. Move on.

i think you should do it just to show perseverance and sticktoitiveness. that way when you pull off the disguise the professor will have no choice but recognize your awesomeness and give you your rightful spot in the lab.

LOL.. Stop making fun of my situation.....

I say that you put sugar in his gas tank and a potato in his exhaust pipe....or is it the other way around?

:laugh:

But on a serious note, tell him you'll work for free, and see what he says? I once had to leave a lab because they ran out of funding, but my PI would have preferred that I stay...

It's sick and disturbing that you assume that I believe that it's okay to behave in such an obsessive and deceitful manner. I understand what I did was not right, but what he did to me wasn't fair either. An eye for an eye.

I would argue that because it was his lab, fair gets thrown out the window. Oh, and my mom always used to say, "Life isn't fair. Get over it."

What makes you think you two are on level ground? He's a PI. His job is important. The lab needs him, the school needs him. You are one of many pre-meds - worthless, a dime a dozen. If he let you work there, he'd be doing you a favor. No one has to let you work in their lab.

However, if you do continue to pursue this and break the news to him about how you made a fake email account, please come back and let us know what he says.

Yeah, offer to volunteer again if you're so hard up for keeping your resume short and need a little confrontation in your life. That should be just the trick to sidestep all of his hints and finally put him in the tough spot of deciding whether he's willing to put up with you one last time or if he truly can't stand being around you he'll make up a last ditch excuse like he's going to be busy drying his hair in the summer and fall of 2010. Be prepared for a bitter pill if you put him on the spot and he's candid with you. You can always save face by letting well enough alone but if you continue in this childish pursuit just remember you can never get those eggs and toiletpaper back.

not to pile on here too much OP, but a) refer to avatar b) move on c) ask PI what you can work on in the future

I say you just let it go. Find research elsewhere and do something big! Then your old PI would probably regret not using you :thumbup:

And then you laugh in his face.