1. What do you find most helpful? Give us your feedback on the 2019 SDN Member Survey to help further the SDN mission (and win prizes!)
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice

So sick of Noise!!!

Discussion in 'Medical Students - MD' started by likesquiet, Dec 1, 2008.

  1. likesquiet

    Joined:
    Dec 1, 2008
    Messages:
    2
    Likes Received:
    0
    Status:
    Medical Student
    Need to vent...

    I'm so sick of people holding full on conversations in our med school library and our allegedly dead silent basement study carrell room. Talking and potato chips during lecture are getting pretty old too. (crinkle crinkle crunch crunch crunch):mad:

    The worst part is that some of us have asked faculty to get the class to shut up during lectures, and nothing happened. No one shuts up the library people. Even one professor comes into the library to chat and laugh with the librarians every afternoon. And the library keeps taking out book shelves because "everythings online!" so we lose any sound barracade or reminder to people that this is a library. We have 32 stinking group study rooms in this building. TALK THERE!

    Earplugs help some. Some passive aggression and "oops my pen slipped and flew across the room and hit you in the head" are going to start soon. GRRRR!!!!
     
  2. MilkmanAl

    MilkmanAl Al the Ass Mod
    Physician 7+ Year Member

    Joined:
    Mar 23, 2008
    Messages:
    12,032
    Likes Received:
    60
    MDApps:
    Status:
    Resident [Any Field]
    Ever considered doing something crazy like asking the offending people to be quiet? That might help.
     
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. ACSurgeon

    ACSurgeon Acute Care Surgeon
    Verified Account 10+ Year Member

    Joined:
    Jun 8, 2008
    Messages:
    1,886
    Likes Received:
    1,921
    Status:
    Attending Physician
    You need to calm down a little. If the library is too loud for you, find somewhere else or study at home. Stop being so edgy!
     
  4. OP
    OP
    likesquiet

    Joined:
    Dec 1, 2008
    Messages:
    2
    Likes Received:
    0
    Status:
    Medical Student
    Yah, I know. It's exam week- I'm all hopped up on Pepsi Max.

    Unfortunately, asking people nicely works for a bit, but then it usually starts up again. I'm friends with a lot of the people that talk during lecture, and I don't even think they notice themselves do it- it just happens- starts quietly and then builds to full volume speaking. I just wish I didn't have to hear 20 minutes about someone's hot date or salsa dancing lesson through class. (Required class attendance=evil)

    I guess I'm just really frustrated that the construction in the library finally finished (no more jackhammer saw thingies!) and it still isn't back to the quiet wonderful study place that it used to be. Last week I had the awkward conversation of (politely) asking the night work-study library chaperone person to use his IPod headphones instead of the speakers he brought in.

    I guess I'll search for a new study place over break...
     
  5. WellWornLad

    10+ Year Member

    Joined:
    Feb 5, 2008
    Messages:
    1,090
    Likes Received:
    31
    Status:
    Resident [Any Field]
    That may work once, but if you bottle up all your anger and let it fester until it explodes in a torrent of caustic rage, then you're guaranteed silence for at least a couple weeks.
     
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    #5 WellWornLad, Dec 1, 2008
    Last edited: Dec 1, 2008
  6. MilkmanAl

    MilkmanAl Al the Ass Mod
    Physician 7+ Year Member

    Joined:
    Mar 23, 2008
    Messages:
    12,032
    Likes Received:
    60
    MDApps:
    Status:
    Resident [Any Field]
    I like your style.
     
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  7. peerie

    7+ Year Member

    Joined:
    Sep 18, 2008
    Messages:
    187
    Likes Received:
    6
    Dude, I am totally feeling you on this one. Big time. :(

    I used to just get up and ask them to stop talking because this is a LIBRARY. Didn't usually work too long and people would hate me but at least I tried. Sometimes, in class I also would ask people to stop talking because this is A CLASS. They would get really mad at me for interupting them. I'm sorry, but I had never ever seen people talking in a class that was actually tolerated until I came to med school. Sometimes, a prof would ask them to stop talking because it was impolite.

    In the end, I had to study at home because life is short and I had to get my work done. It is insane that people can feel that their right to talk in a library is great than your right to actually use the library to study, read, etc.
     
  8. phospho

    phospho SDN Lifetime Donor
    Lifetime Donor Verified Account 10+ Year Member

    Joined:
    Jun 4, 2006
    Messages:
    2,177
    Likes Received:
    25
    Status:
    Medical Student
    hahaha...:laugh:
     
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  9. themudphud

    2+ Year Member

    Joined:
    Nov 30, 2008
    Messages:
    133
    Likes Received:
    1
    Status:
    MD/PhD Student
    Yeah, there are a lot of inconsiderate people *everywhere*. You can fight with them and let them drive you crazy but that's going to hurt you more than anyone else. I would just find somewhere else to study. If you are in the library because of particular resources, then that may be a problem. But one thing you could try is classrooms/lecture halls around your medical school after hours, which are deserted in our medical school, anyway. If you take a laptop with you, you can take advantage of your school's WiFi and network to access scientific papers as well as other online resources that are only available through your school's network.

    Your problem is representative of many other encounters you will have with inconsiderate people. Try not to let the stress of med school (and it is stressful) get you so worked up that you let those people irritate you.
     
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  10. cpants

    cpants Member
    10+ Year Member

    Joined:
    Sep 28, 2007
    Messages:
    2,634
    Likes Received:
    269
    Status:
    Attending Physician
    I've had a few profs point out who is talking in lecture and make them look like asses. It's so satisfying.
     
  11. PeepshowJohnny

    2+ Year Member

    Joined:
    Jun 28, 2007
    Messages:
    1,958
    Likes Received:
    7
    Status:
    Medical Student
    I had a teacher undergrad who was the nicest, funniest guy and a great teacher. He ran into a friend of mine (who was also in the class) on the street, recognized him and offered to buy him lunch so they could talk about how the class was going.

    However, he would go Dr. Jerkyl and Mr. Hyde on you if he say you having a side conversation in his class (sleeping was his other pet peeve). He would freaking DISSECT you with his rants about your behavior. The best part was, he didn't do the "shame the whole class because one person isn't paying attention" he would focus his ire DIRECTLY on the guy or girl responsible.
     
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  12. WellWornLad

    10+ Year Member

    Joined:
    Feb 5, 2008
    Messages:
    1,090
    Likes Received:
    31
    Status:
    Resident [Any Field]
    I don't mind the sleepers, as long as they don't snore. But yeah, I had an undergrad professor once who ran her class like a gulag - locking the classroom door the moment the clock struck our starting time, assigned seats for a class of 150 (so she could take attendance and drop a letter grade for every class missed)...the first time someone fell asleep in her class, she stopped lecturing, walked right up to the poor guy and screamed in his face, "AM I BORING YOU?!" before ejecting him from the class. Not a great way to wake up.

    You could hear a pin drop during her lectures, though.
     
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  13. vasca

    vasca En la era postpasambre
    5+ Year Member

    Joined:
    Nov 7, 2008
    Messages:
    1,155
    Likes Received:
    23
    Haha, those teachers are awesome. I want to become like that! It's even more humorous when the class takes place in a hospital. I had a teacher last semester who was insanely intense (we ended up giving him that name as his nickname as a sort of running gag). I swear, if that guy says he's showing up at 7 am with 0.000000001 seconds, he did it and he wouldn't let you in. I had a problem when he didn't let half of us enter the classroom for one of the partial exams (I arrived late because of the subway ¬¬). Luckily he softened up and let us do a re-take the following week but only because he was only an assistant teacher and was ordered to. A lot of my classmates think I'm going to end up all neurotic and intense like him because he knew his field of medicine and gave leactures nonstop like he was a cassette tape.

    --

    In early semesters teachers punished us insanely for eating in class and stuff, but because at my uni once you become an M3 you spend half of the day travelling around the city's traffic getting to places without eating anything, they let you bring whatever food you feel like to the afternoon classes as long as you don't make too much noise. I started a sort of a running gag of bringing huge bags full of tangerines I bought downtown and eating all of them in class making the room smell like fresh fruit. Everyone was paying more attention to how I could eat so much acidic fruit without getting a peptic ulcer than the actual class. :laugh: On days I didn't buy fruit, people would be asking me why I didn't have any tangerines hiding in my backpack. Good times.


    As for the library issue, sounds like a general lack of respect. We have two libraries people use a lot. I use the one that has all of the med books and that is almost always quiet. If people are too noisy, just tell them to leave the library please. I also agree on the empty classroom part. Another viable option, especially if you wish to play music on your laptop.

    I personally like music in the library as long as it isn't too much like hip-hop (I like the genre, just not for studying). I have fond memories of one of the hospital libraries always having Alexander Acha music plsayed by one of the librarians while I crammed Pathology into my brain.
     
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  14. Random Anesthesiologist

    Random Anesthesiologist Random Anesthesiologist
    Gold Donor Verified Account 10+ Year Member

    Joined:
    Mar 16, 2008
    Messages:
    1,543
    Likes Received:
    303
    OP I hear you too. At our school there's plenty of places to go if you want to talk or collaborate besides the library. The classrooms are open and there are coffeeshops and other university buildings minutes from ours.

    The worst is being in the library when someone is eating baby carrots - a ziploc bag of them. Geez!

    Fortunately, I found a super quiet nook that's really out of the way and it's pretty much been mine during the semester because no one goes to that part of the library :)
     
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  15. zephyrhills123

    10+ Year Member

    Joined:
    Nov 9, 2006
    Messages:
    77
    Likes Received:
    11
    Status:
    Resident [Any Field]
    likesquiet... you wouldn't happen to go to a school in Florida, would you?
     
  16. teddybear

    teddybear "Teddy"
    2+ Year Member

    Joined:
    May 29, 2008
    Messages:
    2,638
    Likes Received:
    2
    Status:
    Pre-Medical
    You are wrong. I pay thousands of dollars to listen to the professor, not somebody jacking their stupid jaws about something that has nothing whatsoever to do with the lecture. I would like to hear my very expensive lecture if you don't mind. Thanks.
     
  17. han14tra

    7+ Year Member

    Joined:
    May 22, 2007
    Messages:
    627
    Likes Received:
    4
    Status:
    Medical Student
    I'm still pre-med and I totally feel your pain. I actually got a nose bleed for the first time ever because 2 idiots were in the library chatting right next to me when I was studying. I was so angry, I ruptured a blood vessel and started bleeding. :mad:

    They were standing about 1 ft away and I let out a big "SHHHHHHHHHH....This is a library people." This did not work at all. In fact, they found it funny. So, I said (under my breath but they heard it)..."Won't be so funny when you fail all of your finals, now will it?" Then, they shut up and walked away. :smuggrin:

    I absolutely have no tolerance for chit chat in the library. GET OUT! Part of the reason I chose Jefferson is because the school library hands out earplugs free, and really enforces the quiet rules. :D Hopefully, I won't be disappointed. Philadelphia better be quiet.
     
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  18. Isoprop

    Isoprop Fascinating, tell me more
    5+ Year Member

    Joined:
    Oct 15, 2007
    Messages:
    4,197
    Likes Received:
    34
    Status:
    Medical Student
    wow!
     
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  19. WellWornLad

    10+ Year Member

    Joined:
    Feb 5, 2008
    Messages:
    1,090
    Likes Received:
    31
    Status:
    Resident [Any Field]
    I think this statement requires a thread of its own.
     
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...

Share This Page