So unsure

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted947789

I'm a not-traditional RN applying for my 2nd time. My stats aren't good and I'm currently scheduled to take the MCAT on Sept. 19, but I'm not sure if I should. The last time I took the test was in Jan 2015 with a score of 26 ( Phy - 7, Verb - 10, Bio - 9). I’ve been doing bare minimum studying and my test is coming up. IDK if it’s a good idea for me to take it and do mediocre or worse than my previous score or actually put in a few hours a day and take it in January and hope some schools will accept the score? I would like to apply again this year, but I know without an updated score I won't get any responses. I have so many other questions about my particular case, but right now I just don't' know if I should take the MCAT now or later. Any help?

Members don't see this ad.

I haven't begun to apply yet, so I may not be qualified to answer, but personally I would just take more time to study and apply next cycle. Waiting sucks, but so does rushing and producing sub-par results.

Reactions: 1 user
Have you already submitted your primaries? If you haven’t, I would suggest just taking it in January and apply the next cycle. If you don’t feel confident and you weren’t able to put in the time, you probably won’t miraculously pull out a great score in time for you to apply this cycle.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm a not-traditional RN applying for my 2nd time. My stats aren't good and I'm currently scheduled to take the MCAT on Sept. 19, but I'm not sure if I should. The last time I took the test was in Jan 2015 with a score of 26 ( Phy - 7, Verb - 10, Bio - 9). I’ve been doing bare minimum studying and my test is coming up. IDK if it’s a good idea for me to take it and do mediocre or worse than my previous score or actually put in a few hours a day and take it in January and hope some schools will accept the score? I would like to apply again this year, but I know without an updated score I won't get any responses. I have so many other questions about my particular case, but right now I just don't' know if I should take the MCAT now or later. Any help?

Do you really want to be a doctor? If yes, then why are you taking a career deciding, high stakes exam when you're self-sabotaging????????

The MCAT is not merely a competency exam, it's also assesses judgement.

Do NOT take the exam until you are 100% ready for it. Med schools aren't going anywhere.

Put in the serious effort to kill the exam in January (or later if you still aren't prepared), then apply for next cycle. It's better to do it right the first time around because you're going to waste time and money.

Retake in January and apply next year! It’s already September, you’d be awfully late in applying with an MCAT that doesn’t come through until October...

Do not apply this cycle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk