So what exactly is POST-BACC?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MyNameIsAlex

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey,

I am a Canadian looking to get into a US school.

What exactly is a post-bacc? how long does it take? does it increase the chances for admission? I only have a 3.0 GPA and im trying to decide whether its worth for me doing another degree or go to the US and do a post-bacc.

Any info would be great

THanks

Members don't see this ad.

MyNameIsAlex said:
What exactly is a post-bacc?
As the name implies, it's a course of study (usually a 'certificate' or other non-degree option) that a person undertakes after they have completed a 4-year undergrad (baccalaureate) degree.
MyNameIsAlex said:
how long does it take?
Some can be done in one academic year; two years is common.
MyNameIsAlex said:
does it increase the chances for admission?
Depends. For those who have been out of school for a while, for those who are changing fields, and for others, a post-bac can be a good way to demonstrate important factors that may make a person a more attractive candidate to med school. Some people have excellent experiences in post-bac, get into med school on their first try, and feel they would not have been as competitive without it -- and some probably do post-bac when they might have done just as well going right for med school application. Still others might not be able to stack up terribly well in the application process, no matter what.
MyNameIsAlex said:
I only have a 3.0 GPA and im trying to decide whether its worth for me doing another degree or go to the US and do a post-bacc.
If you have interest enough to earn a second degree, and could benefit from it regardless of med school considerations, then do the second degree. If the purpose is strictly to get into med school, a second degree seems to be overkill (just my opinion).