geddy

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Oct 12, 2004
479
0
Status
After the drunkenness, dancing, and suicidal ideation subsides, what happens? I mean, will the programs contact us, and when will they do that? Stupid question, but do all programs begin residency on the same date, or is it program-dependent? Not to look ahead too much or anything, but it helps take my mind off the big elephant in the room. :)
 

b&ierstiefel

Guest
10+ Year Member
Jul 9, 2004
11,787
1
In a van down by the river.
Status
Non-Student
geddy said:
After the drunkenness, dancing, and suicidal ideation subsides, what happens? I mean, will the programs contact us, and when will they do that? Stupid question, but do all programs begin residency on the same date, or is it program-dependent? Not to look ahead too much or anything, but it helps take my mind off the big elephant in the room. :)
Well I think program directors found out who will be coming to their programs today. They'll probably start mailing out letters to us letting us know more about the program and where/when to report for the start of residency.

As for start date, I think this really is program dependent. But I think the majority of them start somewhere around the beginning of July. How this figures in with July 4th, I have no clue.
 

cytoborg

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Aug 11, 2004
770
2
In a fog
Status
Fellow [Any Field]
Yeah, the PDs and our deans found out today. Everyone knows but us! A friend of mine a couple years ago found out the day before the match because the PD emailed him. He was pissed that the surprise was ruined.

Anyway, yeah, I think they will be mailing us a packet of stuff within the week. Lots of papers to sign. Then I think most residency orientations are in late June.
 

LoaLoa

Member
10+ Year Member
Mar 3, 2005
170
49
Status
Attending Physician
That is one hellacious puke. However, as a future pathologist, I will have you know that I am unaffected by such things as poop, puke, butt, or fetid, bilious garp of any kind.
 

b&ierstiefel

Guest
10+ Year Member
Jul 9, 2004
11,787
1
In a van down by the river.
Status
Non-Student
LoaLoa said:
That is one hellacious puke. However, as a future pathologist, I will have you know that I am unaffected by such things as poop, puke, butt, or fetid, bilious garp of any kind.
:laugh: I know. I hope this is me tomorrow night or Friday morning. Nah scratch that. I don't like puking. I like pooping.
 
OP
G

geddy

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Oct 12, 2004
479
0
Status
AndyMilonakis said:
Dude, resize your pictures before posting! Mad Photoshop skillz, my ass...
 

b&ierstiefel

Guest
10+ Year Member
Jul 9, 2004
11,787
1
In a van down by the river.
Status
Non-Student
geddy said:
AndyMilonakis said:
Dude, resize your pictures before posting! Mad Photoshop skillz, my ass...
are you getting cranky on me geddy? is this how you get when you start feeling a little jittery and nervous? :laugh:

the jitters are coming back on this end. i dunno if i got the jitters or the shakes. i'm going out for drinks tonight.

btw, there was no photoshopping involved.
 
OP
G

geddy

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Oct 12, 2004
479
0
Status
AndyMilonakis said:
are you getting cranky on me geddy? is this how you get when you start feeling a little jittery and nervous? :laugh:.
Nah, I'm just razzing you (do people still say that?).

AndyMilonakis said:
the jitters are coming back on this end. i dunno if i got the jitters or the shakes. i'm going out for drinks tonight.
Yeah, I've cracked open the Johnny Walker for tonight :)

AndyMilonakis said:
btw, there was no photoshopping involved.
Exactly! A little courtesy Photoshopping on your part, and you colud have saved me all that tedious scrolling :)
 
OP
G

geddy

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Oct 12, 2004
479
0
Status
But, I am a little jittery... Today, I stopped by the office of the lady who does all the match stuff. She was busy all day stuffing the envelopes - I was going to ask her to tell me the region, the state, something! But, she had a big sign on her door that says "Leave Me Alone" :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
 

b&ierstiefel

Guest
10+ Year Member
Jul 9, 2004
11,787
1
In a van down by the river.
Status
Non-Student
geddy said:
Nah, I'm just razzing you (do people still say that?).
No no, it's ok. I'll fix it. Just because geddy got his panties in a bunch. And yes, "razzing" is so yesterday. :D

geddy said:
Yeah, I've cracked open the Johnny Walker for tonight :)
Nice nice. I'm so tempted to open just one bottle of champagne but they must stay in the fridge until I bring it into the lab tomorrow! Must resist!
 
OP
G

geddy

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Oct 12, 2004
479
0
Status
AndyMilonakis said:
there geddy. i fixed it. can i have some of your johnny walker?
There now, was that so hard? Help yourself... you've earned it:

 
OP
G

geddy

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Oct 12, 2004
479
0
Status
AndyMilonakis said:
thank you thank you.

seriously, i wanna be hungover tomorrow so that if the news is less than what i desired, i won't know what hit me :D
That post-match bender you're scheduled for shouldn't hurt, either. But, methinks you'll be celebrating as you down the complimentary booze in Vegas.
 

b&ierstiefel

Guest
10+ Year Member
Jul 9, 2004
11,787
1
In a van down by the river.
Status
Non-Student
geddy said:
That post-match bender you're scheduled for shouldn't hurt, either. But, methinks you'll be celebrating as you down the complimentary booze in Vegas.
it's unfortunate that most of the NCAA games will be over though by the time I land in Vegas (I think).

Drinks in the airport.
Drinks on the airplane.
Drinks in the airport.
Drinks at the casino.
Drinks at the bar.
Drinks at the tittybar.
Drinks everywhere!
 

beary

Pancytopenic
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Sep 21, 2004
9,508
4
counting a bone marrow somewhere near you
Status
Resident [Any Field]
deschutes said:

Now we're talking.
I'm totally with you on that, deschutes! I'm not even matching like you folks, and I still went to the store for some Ben and Jerry's (and some donuts, and some Reese's Peanut Butter Eggs!!) :thumbup:
 

deschutes

Thing
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Jul 24, 2004
4,703
1
On location
Status
Attending Physician
I have this very odd but extremely strong craving for a dill scone with cheddar cheese melted over top.
 

beary

Pancytopenic
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Sep 21, 2004
9,508
4
counting a bone marrow somewhere near you
Status
Resident [Any Field]
deschutes said:
I have this very odd but extremely strong craving for a dill scone with cheddar cheese melted over top.
Despite our fellowship of madwimmen, I do not share this particular craving.

OK now I'm going to eat some Ben and Jerry's and donuts to get the thought of a dill scone out of my head. :D
 

deschutes

Thing
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Jul 24, 2004
4,703
1
On location
Status
Attending Physician
A dill scone layered with smoked salmon, and cheddar melted over top.

Oooooh....
 

PathOne

Derminatrix
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
May 10, 2004
833
2
Skin City
Status
Attending Physician
AndyMilonakis said:
:laugh: :laugh:

mmm....dohhhhh-nuts.
yes! Did somebody call for me? Wazzup? huh? huh?

*jumping up and down*
 

beary

Pancytopenic
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Sep 21, 2004
9,508
4
counting a bone marrow somewhere near you
Status
Resident [Any Field]
AndyMilonakis said:
she craves this...she could make this...yet she continues to type away on SDN.
I have never had such a craving (I mainly crave processed foods :laugh: ) but I would not know how to make such a thing no matter how badly I wanted it.
 

PathOne

Derminatrix
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
May 10, 2004
833
2
Skin City
Status
Attending Physician
AndyMilonakis said:
wasup Donut. good to see ya again? you have a kickass fun night planned for tonight?
Nahhh, gonna Go Green tomorrow, tho' wit parades and real irishmen and irishwimmen..... Frightfully thankful that I will not have to have Match-jitters. Best of luck 2all tho.
 

b&ierstiefel

Guest
10+ Year Member
Jul 9, 2004
11,787
1
In a van down by the river.
Status
Non-Student
PathOne said:
Nahhh, gonna Go Green tomorrow, tho' wit parades and real irishmen and irishwimmen..... Frightfully thankful that I will not have to have Match-jitters. Best of luck 2all tho.
yeah, i'm gonna try convincing some folks to head out drinking early tomorrow mornign tomorrow, show up at the match ceremony drunk, and run off with our envelopes into the bright noon sun.
 

PathOne

Derminatrix
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
May 10, 2004
833
2
Skin City
Status
Attending Physician
ATTABOY!!!!


you could put them in your suitcase!

yahooooooooooo
 

deschutes

Thing
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Jul 24, 2004
4,703
1
On location
Status
Attending Physician
AndyMilonakis said:
yeah, i'm gonna try convincing some folks to head out drinking early tomorrow mornign tomorrow, show up at the match ceremony drunk, and run off with our envelopes into the bright noon sun.
I hope they run screaming into the bright noon sun. Otherwise why run drunk?
 

b&ierstiefel

Guest
10+ Year Member
Jul 9, 2004
11,787
1
In a van down by the river.
Status
Non-Student
Chris Rock says: Then you got people who want credit for sh!t they supposed to do. "I stay outta jail." You're supposed to stay outta jail you no expectation having mother****er.
 

yaah

Boring
Staff member
Administrator
15+ Year Member
Aug 15, 2003
27,969
351
Fixing in 10% neutral buffered formalin
Status
Attending Physician
Basically, to answer the original question - they will contact you and you will have to sign your contract accepting your position. Then, towards the end of spring you should start getting information in the mail about important info (some related to health care, housing, parking, etc, other stuff related to your specific program). Start date will be in there. You may have to start before July 1 for orientation type festivities. I did not. :) But plan on your first day (whether for full duty or for an introductory day) to be around the 1st.
 

DasN

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
May 25, 2004
179
1
Status
geddy said:
There now, was that so hard? Help yourself... you've earned it:


Nicotine gum and Lidocane ointment for everyone!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
pArTy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
 

Gut Shot

15+ Year Member
Sep 7, 2003
6,526
106
Status
Attending Physician
beary said:
I'm totally with you on that, deschutes! I'm not even matching like you folks, and I still went to the store for some Ben and Jerry's (and some donuts, and some Reese's Peanut Butter Eggs!!) :thumbup:
Were they jelly donuts, by chance? [snicker]
 

Harbster

Who cares?
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jul 11, 2004
299
0
North of the border
Status
geddy said:
There now, was that so hard? Help yourself... you've earned it:

Comeon now, bring the good stuff!