So what is everyone doing about the timer issue??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PayingMyDues

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
i was wondering what everyone was doing about the no timer policy???? Still going to take one? using a watch? etc???

Members don't see this ad.

there is a watch, made for deaf people, that has a timer that will vibrate gently.. if you are so desperate for a timer you might want to look into this

I'm still going to bring in my timer and use it if they don't mind. But also I'm going to get a digital watch, and probably practice using that when I take my exams. So get both. I just prefer a handheld timer I can put on my desk, so I'll use it if possible (some proctors will likely allow it).

hey i took the one in april and they said no timers... so i just wore my watch. just as easy, and i just took it off and laid it on the table like a timer anyway. and, in the first two seconds of the test i figured when the end time was and jotted it down in the front of my question packet, cause our proctors wouldnt write it down. it really shouldnt be that big a problem having a watch vs a timer.

Members don't see this ad :)
I ran into the same problem this April. Here's a quick solution if you have a digital/sports watch:

The metallic back plate is the part of the watch that acts as the "speaker" when your watch beeps. Thus, you can interrupt the beeping by removing the back cover and placing a piece of tape on it (folded over a few times). This cuts the circuit between the innards of the watch and the back plate. Set an alarm to make sure that the watch is fully silenced (just to make sure), and you should be good to go. The screws on the back plate can be removed with a screwdriver similar to those used to repair glasses. After test day, you can remove the tape and your watch will work just the same as it did before! Hope that helps you guys. Good luck!

They is a silent timer at www.silenttimer.com. It costs 25 bucks though, so if you think this is worth it, go for it. It does other things as well. However, I use Quickread's method when I take timed tests.

confewshz

Hey, thanks for that watch trick. I tried it and it worked! My watch is now silent.

Originally posted by Rx Bandit952
... The metallic back plate is the part of the watch that acts as the "speaker" when your watch beeps. Thus, you can interrupt the beeping by removing the back cover and placing a piece of tape on it ...