So what's the deal with the GRE?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

shamrock2006

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone know the deal? I've come to find out the GRE is required(!!!!) by the military for many of the specialties. Personally I think that it's unnecessary..but that's neither here nor there. My question is, how strongly do they look at that test? I mean, you figure to get in to a program you've got the grades, NBDE 1 scores, LORS, experience...and now you need the GRE? I've taken a couple of kaplan practice tests and am barely breaking 1000 here. I'm particularly concerned with the Air Force side of things, but I'm assuming it's the same for all branches, no? Any opinions will be appreciated. Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Anyone know the deal? I've come to find out the GRE is required(!!!!) by the military for many of the specialties. Personally I think that it's unnecessary..but that's neither here nor there. My question is, how strongly do they look at that test? I mean, you figure to get in to a program you've got the grades, NBDE 1 scores, LORS, experience...and now you need the GRE? I've taken a couple of kaplan practice tests and am barely breaking 1000 here. I'm particularly concerned with the Air Force side of things, but I'm assuming it's the same for all branches, no? Any opinions will be appreciated. Thanks

generally 1200 is considered a good grade for typical graduate programs...(unless you're going for a phD in psych, you'd need 700 verbal). for army, gre is not required for any PG programs (yet). i had a chance to speak w/ the PG director there just last summer, and he told me they're not planning on it (yet). for AF, from what i gather gre is required for all PG programs except AEGD 1 and 2 yr... wait, i'm not sure about the 2 yr, so please check. you can surf the web a minute to find out.

i too think it is completely unnecessary and waste of $150 plus books and other preps, and a huge chunk of time memorizing vocabs you'd never use; i'd rather do 1 more amalgam if i have that much wasteful time in hand. having said, the rumors have it that the boards would soon be pass/fail, so i guess gre is one way to gauge your candidacy, no matter how irrelevant it is. some schools started not long ago, b/c they figured since the program is conferring a MS degree upon graduation, which would make them like any other graduate masters program, and AF soon followed (i guess to make its programs more "comparable"/competitive). that's why it is not required for AEGD programs, since you get no degree after you're done. (which makes me wonder why it is required for OMFS, since it is only a 4 yr program and you'd get a certificate, not MD). also, the score is good for only 3 years (typically), which means you can't take it b/f d-school; you must take it while you're in d school! :laugh::laugh:

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Sorry to clarify, I believe only the AF requires the GRE for OMFS.
Not sure if this is true or not. I'm told many of the civilian programs we send people to require it since they offer a masters.

Our OMS program offers a masters. I'll do some more looking to see if we are the only ones.