so whats up with the 2015 mcat

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

OSUkid

Membership Revoked
Removed
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So whats on the 2015 mcat now and hows it organized. Include the following words, physics, biochem, biology, genchem, ochem, please and danke

Members don't see this ad.

The quick and dirty:

4 sections, each scored 118-132.

1. Bio/Biochem
2. Chem/Phys
3. Psych/Soc
4. Crit Analysis/Reasoning

More Biochem, less o-chem than the old one, though people have reported this being variable. Way longer than the old one.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
The quick and dirty:

1. Bio/Biochem
2. Chem/Phys
3. Psych/Soc

More Biochem, less o-chem than the old one, though people have reported this being variable. Way longer than the old one.
I like the quick and dirty, hows physics more/same/less?

Seriously?

Google man google!

Reactions: 1 users
When I saw this thread, I imagined a guy walking into a party late saying "ayyyyyyyyy! Jimmy! What's up with the new MCAT?" followed by silence.

Reactions: 6 users
The quick and dirty:

1. Bio/Biochem
2. Chem/Phys
3. Psych/Soc

Almost....
These sections, in order:

1. General Chemistry, O-Chem, Physics and Biochem
2. CARS
3. Bio, Biochem
4. Psych, Soc (maybe 1-2 bio questions)

The difference is that the sections are much longer and more application of material than the old test. You won't really see straight physics questions, but physics questions in the context of medicine (pressure may be tested through blood pressure, for example). I thought the physics was way easier on the new test than the old.

Reactions: 2 users
Read the MCAT 2015 FAQ in my signature.

Members don't see this ad :)
For what it's worth...I found it easier than the previous MCAT (probably due to my biochem background). But even the way the questions are posed...they are all asked under the context of medicine..which for me made it much easier to assess, plan, and attack questions. (I got 67 % old MCAT, 91% new MCAT). But it is a much longer test with more content..so don't take my opinion as advice for not preparing thoroughly for MCAT2015.

@OSUkid , that owl avatar is super cool, imo.

As to the length of this sommbit, it's about 7.5 hours if you use all the allotted time. It's not really as bad as it sounds once you've worked through a few full-length practice exams. I always had a good bit of time left over in each section, even on the real deal.

Last edited by a moderator:
https://www.aamc.org/students/download/377882/data/mcat2015-content.pdf
Is this all I need, it includes all the topics, should I try to make a study guide off each topic?

This is exactly how I approached studying for it and I was successful. I kept it organized by section which was really helpful for review of weak areas.
Obvi, the AAMC question packs were tremendously helpful. I used Khan Academy and the MedPortal for supplementing material.
I did this over 4-5 months (while working 70+hours/week) with the last month of intense review and LOTS OF VACATION TIME USED.

Looking back, I would have spent more time practicing the four question types and coming up with a way to apply them within each section.
Best of luck to you!

hahah so casual...so whats up with the new MCAT fam?

For more detailed differences, the Bio/Biochem section is not like the old Biology section in that it asks more content based questions. Instead, this section has a lot of questions based on research journal-style passages. The Chem/Phys section actually somewhat deemphasizes raw physics and instead tends to apply physics to more biology-related concepts (but still know your physics as it makes it much easier).

Almost....
These sections, in order:

1. General Chemistry, O-Chem, Physics and Biochem
2. CARS
3. Bio, Biochem
4. Psych, Soc (maybe 1-2 bio questions)

The difference is that the sections are much longer and more application of material than the old test. You won't really see straight physics questions, but physics questions in the context of medicine (pressure may be tested through blood pressure, for example). I thought the physics was way easier on the new test than the old.
thats good so no physic type exam questions, but knowing conceptual stuff which relates to human body?

thats good so no physic type exam questions, but knowing conceptual stuff which relates to human body?
There are definitely general physics questions on the exam. Or maybe not lol! I didn't get any, while others got tons. It depends, but you def. need a foundational understanding of physics if you intend to do well on the C/P section. While most of them will somehow relate to biology, it's not uncommon to see a classic box on a ramp problem.

I had a lot of straight up physics questions, not related to medicine at all on my test. So know all of it!

1) Be good at reading.
2) Understand science.
3) Take some Adderall.

You should be fine. Actually, take 10mg one hour before you start, then 10 more mg at the mid-way point.

Reactions: 1 user
OP as a physician: So, what's up with [insert disease/problem here] ?