So who has applied so far and got an interview and where?

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

duracell

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm about to send in my applications and i hope i'm not too late! My GPA isn't that high and OAT score is averageish (what is the avg. OAT?). So i am wondering if anyone has applied yet and got an interview from any schools. I noticed someone from ICO has already!

Members don't see this ad.

Average OAT is 300, because it means you score in the 50th percentile. I think, on average, people have higher OATs than that entering optometry school...

Members don't see this ad :)
The only place I have applied is UMSL and I just got an interview invitation for September 16.

I have applied so far to ICO. I'm still in the process of preparing applications for PCO and Pacific. (Darn community college is very slow in processing transcript requests!!! ) I'm wondering how fast people are hearing back from each school once they have sent in their completed application. Any thoughts?

prettygreeneyes said:
I have applied so far to ICO. I'm still in the process of preparing applications for PCO and Pacific. (Darn community college is very slow in processing transcript requests!!! ) I'm wondering how fast people are hearing back from each school once they have sent in their completed application. Any thoughts?

I applied to ICO, PCO. Where is Pacific? Is that Puerto Rico?

duracell said:
I'm about to send in my applications and i hope i'm not too late! My GPA isn't that high and OAT score is averageish (what is the avg. OAT?). So i am wondering if anyone has applied yet and got an interview from any schools. I noticed someone from ICO has already!

i applied to ico, neco, suny and houston in early august and scco last week...one more to go, ucb...gluck everyone :D

RLK said:
I applied to ICO, PCO. Where is Pacific? Is that Puerto Rico?

Pacific is in Forest Grove, Oregon. An optometrist I work with just graduated this May and has nothing but fantastic things to say about it! It is 20 minutes from the Oregon Coast, and 45 minutes from Portland (or so I've been told!) Best of luck to you! :luck:

Did you get interviews yet?

prettygreeneyes said:
Pacific is in Forest Grove, Oregon. An optometrist I work with just graduated this May and has nothing but fantastic things to say about it! It is 20 minutes from the Oregon Coast, and 45 minutes from Portland (or so I've been told!) Best of luck to you! :luck:

Ahh I see. I've never been to Oregon, but I wouldn't mind going there someday. I always seem to go north, south, or east but never west for some reason.

prettygreeneyes said:

For ICO I sent my application in the first week of August and just heard back this week. I sent in my application to PCO and just got a letter today telling me they are missing one of my reference letters...I sent in my app the first week of Sept.

pre_opt_sku said:
For ICO I sent my application in the first week of August and just heard back this week. I sent in my application to PCO and just got a letter today telling me they are missing one of my reference letters...I sent in my app the first week of Sept.

Okay... I don't feel so panicked now. I sent in my app to ICO mid-August, but they did not receive all of my transcripts until the end of August. So I've been freaking out that I haven't heard anything... but that is my style I suppose. Have you scheduled your interview yet?

Members don't see this ad :)
prettygreeneyes said:
Okay... I don't feel so panicked now. I sent in my app to ICO mid-August, but they did not receive all of my transcripts until the end of August. So I've been freaking out that I haven't heard anything... but that is my style I suppose. Have you scheduled your interview yet?

No, not yet. They aren't starting to schedule them until next week. Good luck with all you applications!

prettygreeneyes said:

Just FYI, it's much farther than 20 mins from Pacific U to the Oregon Coast. It's more like 90mins. But the drive is nice!

HYCW said:
Just FYI, it's much farther than 20 mins from Pacific U to the Oregon Coast. It's more like 90mins. But the drive is nice!

I stand corrected! Oh well... I live in NV, so living 90 minutes to the ocean would be a big improvement! Are you/ have you attending Pacific?

prettygreeneyes said:
I stand corrected! Oh well... I live in NV, so living 90 minutes to the ocean would be a big improvement! Are you/ have you attending Pacific?

Actually, I'm a first year at Berkeley and loving it so far!

I interviewed at and was accepted to Pacific. It's a great school, just not for me. The interview was on Friday so I stayed the weekend at my aunt's house (she lives in the suburbs of Portland.) Borrowed her car and did some sight seeing, including the drive out to the coast (and got a speeding ticket, but that's another story...) The drives takes you through forest areas. Since my interview was in Nov, the trees were all orange and brown--it was so pretty! If you visit Pacific, I highly recommend doing the trip to the coast as well as going to Multnomah Falls and having brunch at the lodge there.

Good luck with your applications this year!

Has anyone applied to Nova ,and if yes have you heard anything back yet?

good luck you guys !! guess I'll have to start the class of 2010 sticky pretty soon !! Damn, it scared me to type 2010. :scared:

wow...i feel really behind... :( i've sent in my primary application to ICO and got an interview invite by email last week. i haven't finished all my applications stuff yet so I haven't sent out my applications for all the schools. yikez, so much to do! :scared: is it considered late if i try sending out everything by the end of Sept.?

kiseki said:
wow...i feel really behind... :( i've sent in my primary application to ICO and got an interview invite by email last week. i haven't finished all my applications stuff yet so I haven't sent out my applications for all the schools. yikez, so much to do! :scared: is it considered late if i try sending out everything by the end of Sept.?

If you don't mind my asking, when did you send ICO your application? Did they already have the transcripts as well? I don't believe you are considered "late" if you send out an application by the end of Sept. but others are starting to get interviews... so those spots may start disappearing one by one! I'm in the same boat as you though. I've sent in my ICO app, but haven't heard back yet. I'm still working on others... the observation hours for Pacific and letters of recommendation are what's holding me back. I'll be so glad when this is over! Good luck!

wassup yall...JUST GOT AN INTERVIEW INVITE TO SUNY!!! YAY!!!

gluck to everyone =)

Dr4eyes said:

gluck to everyone =)

congrats! knock them dead!

Dr4eyes said:

gluck to everyone =)

I GOT AN INTERVIEW INVITE TO SUNY ALSO!!!!!! :) :D :thumbup:

o man i am nervous already

Wow, I can't believe it has been a year since all that excitement of applying and such.

prettygreeneyes said:
If you don't mind my asking, when did you send ICO your application? Did they already have the transcripts as well? I don't believe you are considered "late" if you send out an application by the end of Sept. but others are starting to get interviews... so those spots may start disappearing one by one! I'm in the same boat as you though. I've sent in my ICO app, but haven't heard back yet. I'm still working on others... the observation hours for Pacific and letters of recommendation are what's holding me back. I'll be so glad when this is over! Good luck!

Hi! Well I sent in the ICO application on August 1st, because it was the easiest application to do...I went to my school's registrar's office around Aug 17th or so and sent out my transcripts then. And yeah, letters of recommendations are holding me back too >.< as well as answering questions and writing the PS. I'm really hoping i'll be able to get everything together asap. i'm gonna be soOo happy once this whole process is over (including interviews... :scared: hehee) good luck to you too! :D

kiseki said:
Hi! Well I sent in the ICO application on August 1st, because it was the easiest application to do...I went to my school's registrar's office around Aug 17th or so and sent out my transcripts then. And yeah, letters of recommendations are holding me back too >.< as well as answering questions and writing the PS. I'm really hoping i'll be able to get everything together asap. i'm gonna be soOo happy once this whole process is over (including interviews... :scared: hehee) good luck to you too! :D

ICO's app was easy, but then later on if they're interested in you, you'll have to fill out another application.

NECO called me today and told me that they lost the essay that I wrote. I guess they didn't technically lose it, but they have a problem with their IT dept or something and no longer have it.

Rusunn said:
o man i am nervous already

hehe no reason to be, when i interviewed for them last summer, they were hilarious and very easy going. we spent a good 10 minutes talking about the mets vs yankees! oh and if you are lucky they tell you right after your chances, a lady that interviewed with me was accepted on the spot! i was told i needed to visit some optometrist :mad: but it was all good in the end!

good luck!

mthomas2 said:

I applied to NOVA, SCCO, ICO, and SUNY (in the middle of Berkeley's app) and I got an invitation for an interview from NOVA and SCCO.

I plan to apply to UCBSO around late October/early November because I want to hear from SCCO first. Is that too late???

I have an interview on Oct. 3 for ICO and have also been invited for an interview at PCO!

alferec said:
I applied to NOVA, SCCO, ICO, and SUNY (in the middle of Berkeley's app) and I got an invitation for an interview from NOVA and SCCO.

I plan to apply to UCBSO around late October/early November because I want to hear from SCCO first. Is that too late???

hi, just wondering when you turned in your scco application, and the date of your interview there. thanks!

optopt said:
hi, just wondering when you turned in your scco application, and the date of your interview there. thanks!

No problem. I turned in my SCCO app in the middle of August. Interview dates are yet to be scheduled so I don't have an appointment yet.

Oh, and since this thread is about interviews...on top of SCCO and NOVA as previously mentioned, I also got interviews from ICO and SUNY...yipeeeee! :cool:

alferec said:
No problem. I turned in my SCCO app in the middle of August. Interview dates are yet to be scheduled so I don't have an appointment yet.

Oh, and since this thread is about interviews...on top of SCCO and NOVA as previously mentioned, I also got interviews from ICO and SUNY...yipeeeee! :cool:

thanks! and congratulations on your interview invitations. :laugh:

Hey everyone! I just a letter in the mail today and I got an interview at PCO. :) Any words of wisdom?

iris_84 said:
Hey everyone! I just a letter in the mail today and I got an interview at PCO. :) Any words of wisdom?

I just got an interivew invite in the mail from PCO too!

Any words of wisdom would be great!

Rusunn said:
I just got an interivew invite in the mail from PCO too!

Any words of wisdom would be great!

Congrats!!!!

alferec said:

Hey I was just curious...didn't SCCO start accepting applications beginning September 1st?? I know they had their online application program working as of August 1st so that you could get started but all of their published deadlines and Dawn Bunch said September 1st was the day they would begin accepting apps for Fall 2006. The reason I am wondering is because SCCO is the only school I am applying to and I sent my app about a week ago and am anxiously waiting to hear back from them...and i had thought i had sent in my app early as possible, lol...thanks for any asisstance you can provide me with!

beachbum82 said:
Hey I was just curious...didn't SCCO start accepting applications beginning September 1st?? I know they had their online application program working as of August 1st so that you could get started but all of their published deadlines and Dawn Bunch said September 1st was the day they would begin accepting apps for Fall 2006. The reason I am wondering is because SCCO is the only school I am applying to and I sent my app about a week ago and am anxiously waiting to hear back from them...and i had thought i had sent in my app early as possible, lol...thanks for any asisstance you can provide me with!

True, SCCO did not accept applications until September 1, but I sent it mid August. I just wanted to be the early bird you know?

alferec said:
True, SCCO did not accept applications until September 1, but I sent it mid August. I just wanted to be the early bird you know?

Oh I understand. Thanks and congrats!! How long did it take for you to hear back from SCCO?? Did they just send you a letter saying that they wanted an interview with you and that they would contact you or what?? I am just really curious because I sent in my app a few weeks ago, and I sent them my AR back as well and I'm in agony trying to figure out when i will hear about an interview! Thanks again!

I got offered an interview at NECO about a week and a half ago!!

beachbum82 said:
Oh I understand. Thanks and congrats!! How long did it take for you to hear back from SCCO?? Did they just send you a letter saying that they wanted an interview with you and that they would contact you or what?? I am just really curious because I sent in my app a few weeks ago, and I sent them my AR back as well and I'm in agony trying to figure out when i will hear about an interview! Thanks again!

I called SCCO and asked them myself, and I believe they're working on sending the interview invitation letters right now (if they haven't sent it already). It took almost three weeks I think? Don't worry, you'll hear from them soon enough! I know that once you have all your app materials in, they submit your packet for review pretty quickly (they looked at my app the day after my app materials were complete!).

Invited for an interview at ICO, PCO, & NECO

Sent my application for SCO on Aug. 31 and today got an interview invite.

mthomas2 said:

I applied to Nova about 3 weeks ago, they contacted me today. I have an interview the end of October.

ODMAYBE said:
I applied to Nova about 3 weeks ago, they contacted me today. I have an interview the end of October.

Congrats! If you have the time please let me know how it goes b/c I will be applying there next year for 2007. That's the only school I will be applying to.