so. with this new bill optometry goin down?

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

blueLuxen

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
not a good time for optometry? because im seriously thinking about optometry

Members don't see this ad.

Originally posted by blueLuxen:
•not a good time for optometry? because im seriously thinking about optometry•

nah, there will always be a market for optometrists because people will always need eyeglasses and contact lenses. If you want it, come and get it, for crying out loud...

:D

Optometry is evolving and already encroaching on ophthalmology, an MD specialty. In many states now optometrists can write prescriptions for some of the commoner eye problems.

Optometrists are not trained only to write prescriptions for eyeglasses. They are able to diagnose many systemic diseases such as diabetes by an eye examination. (Diabetes is also frequently first recognized by podiatrists). I suggest that before you consider opting out of optometry, a doctoral health profession, you either speak with an optometrist (especially a relatively recent grad) and/or arrange a visit to an optometry college if there is one not to distant from you. Certainly, request a catalog.

You can make a good living without all the sturm und drang and the high malpractice cost of being an MD, while entitled to be called "doctor" and having the ability to lead a normal family life.

Members don't see this ad :)
Originally posted by gower:

You can make a good living without all the sturm und drang and the high malpractice cost of being an MD, while entitled to be called "doctor" and having the ability to lead a normal family life.•

This was one of major reasons why ten :eek: of my friends are going into optometry.

I think this also the reason why the field is made up of mostly females. Another thing, ophhalmology malpractice insurance is among the lowest of all the medical specialties. Ophthalmology offers a wonderful lifestyle. You can definitely have a family life. Therefore, get your facts straight before you post. One thing you said in your post struck me. Optometrists are trained to treat and diagnose SYSTEMIC disease. Oh really?? How much does an optometris know about the effects of diabetes has on the heart, lungs, kidneys, vasculature, nerves, skin, urinary, and so on. Tell me, why don't cardiologists just go to heart school?? Why don't otolaryngologists just go to ear school?? Why don't dermatologists just go to skin school?? Why don't neurologists and neurosurgeons just go to brain school?? Why don't orthopedic surgeons just go to bone school?? Why don't pulmonologists just go to lung school?? Why don't nephrologists just go to kidney school?? I could go on...but do you see what I'm getting at??

The bill being discussed in the other thread is in the state of Florida only. All other states allow optometrists (as well as P.A.'s and other qualified health professionals) to co-manage surgery patients with ophthalmologists. There is plenty of work for optometrists and the field is expected to grow. There are certainly some areas that have an over-abundance of optometrists (e.g., Philadelphia, Los Angeles County, San Francisco, etc.) but there are many areas of the country where the job outlook is great. What kundun says is not true -- there are more male optometrists than female optometrists. As with many professions there is a larger percentage of females then males in optometry schools right now.

Most of the people I know with glasses are planning to get that laser correction done.
I think that might affect the op people in the future.

Actually there are TONS of people who CAN'T do LASIK.. (myself included). OD's can co-manage LASIK patients with eyeMD's .. and there are many people who won't or can't do lasik. It's NOT going to end the profession. Lasik/PRK and whatever's in the pike to come down the road next have been around about ten years. I still OD's EVERYWHERE!! Most of the one's I know are still booked up two weeks in advance. I don't think there's any shortage of patients. Even people who have had lasik surgery still need glasses for presbyopia when they age.
Optometry is here to stay. And if you don't have any CONSTRUCTIVE comments.. please refrain from posting. We're all supposedly professionals here.. right??!

I'm glad you aggree with me that the laser treatment will affect the future of op.
The poster of this thread is looking for pros and cons about op so that he/she can make an informed decision about whether or not to choose this particular profession. So I have been constuctive in answering his question.
I didn't realize the purpose of this forum was to give people the hard sell and railroad them in one direction. We are not paid recruiters you know.
I have no disrespect for optometrists, I am just pointing out that lasik is going to be taking a fair chunk of their bussiness in the future, especially when it is improved upon. Not to concider this would be kind of dumb.
I suggest you relax and work on bolstering your fragile ego.

Originally posted by kundun:
•I think this also the reason why the field is made up of mostly females. Another thing, ophhalmology malpractice insurance is among the lowest of all the medical specialties. Ophthalmology offers a wonderful lifestyle. You can definitely have a family life. Therefore, get your facts straight before you post. One thing you said in your post struck me. Optometrists are trained to treat and diagnose SYSTEMIC disease. Oh really?? How much does an optometris know about the effects of diabetes has on the heart, lungs, kidneys, vasculature, nerves, skin, urinary, and so on. Tell me, why don't cardiologists just go to heart school?? Why don't otolaryngologists just go to ear school?? Why don't dermatologists just go to skin school?? Why don't neurologists and neurosurgeons just go to brain school?? Why don't orthopedic surgeons just go to bone school?? Why don't pulmonologists just go to lung school?? Why don't nephrologists just go to kidney school?? I could go on...but do you see what I'm getting at??•

Kundum has really demonstrated his class by commenting on the whole female issue. Perhaps you should get your facts straight Kundum. Optometry happens to be a male dominated field at the moment if you actually look at the numbers. Oh, medical schools throughtout the U.S. are nearing the 50% for female attendence? HMM? Have you actually looked at an OD curriculum Kundum? Probably not.........

I happen to be a fourth year medical student who had intentions of attending optometry school but decided on medical school instead. My father happens to be an optometrist in a town with a population nearing 100,000. He has 20,000+ patients on file and treats all manifestations of ocular disease as well as co-managing surgical patients which obtain surgery (from a contracted ophthalmologist) in his office inside of his surgical center. Yes, he has even saved peoples lives through his practice of optometry. He has diagnosed brain tumors, M.S., Diabetes, Malignant hypertension etc. (Even systemic diseases!). He has a great reputation and many of the MD's not only refer him patients, but are his patients.

For those ophthalmologists or future ophthalmologists (Kundum), it would be wise to re-examine your bias because as an ophthalmologist you will be working side by side with these profesionals. If you are smart, you might befriend some of them because a lot of your surgical referals can be obtained via optometrists.

The fact of the matter is, is that optometry is here to stay and can be a rewarding career choice. I was not satisfied not being able to do surgery so I chose medical school. If you are looking at optometry school and are satisfied doing everything but surgery in the field of ocular medicine, then go for it and don't look back!

I'll play the game...but inside my opinions will never change

A good rule for life: Never say Never. And a good title for a James Bond flick.

hi everyone.. well as far as I've heard.. the optometry bill that started this post was shot down on the floor yesterday. (or recently i'm not sure exactly when) All the OD's owe some thanks to the FOA.. they were the ones that stopped it.
:D

You are correct...the Florida bill was defeated with help from the Florida Optometric Association.

A similar bill is being discussed in the Missouri legislature (full text at http://www.senate.state.mo.us/01info/billtext/intro/SB552.htm ). The Missouri bill is written more to prevent splitting of surgical fees for referrals although it does have a clause stating that an optometrist can co-manage ocular surgery patients only when a "qualified surgeon" is unavailable for the associated care. The rest of the bill seems pretty reasonable.

Most of the people I know with glasses are planning to get that laser correction done.
I think that might affect the op people in the future.

Have you met the millions of Americans with vision problems living on a McDonalds or Walmart wage? Can't wait to see how these people pay for Lasik when they can barely feed their children.

This may set a record for the oldest reborn thread. Does no one look at the dates before responding?

Seriously. I was wondering why I didn't recognize 99% of the usernames, then I looked at the date.

Why?? :confused:

how is it possible to do this? I can't even find posts that are older than 3 yrs let alone from 2001...

how is it possible to do this? I can't even find posts that are older than 3 yrs let alone from 2001...

there are some highly skilled grave diggers around here!:D