SOAP 2015

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

seap3

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I thought I'd make a new post for those of us going through this. Never thought I'd have to do this, but we can make it through. Post how it's going for you. And good luck everyone.

So far 2 phone calls with an official interview scheduled for tomorrow. I wonder how late they will be making calls tonight.

Members don't see this ad.

I applied Neuro, but didn't take USMLE so I should have thought better about that. I initially went into med school thinking FM, so that's what I'm trying for now. I would be happy with that and I don't think it's settling. I enjoy primary care. I'm wishing I had just stuck with that now. Everyone I know who applied FM matched and doesn't have to go through this #@$@$#$. But at least there are still some good FM programs out there in the SOAP.

I applied FM with good scores, grades, and letters and am still SOAP'ing.

Have had like 12 phone interviews already today, some of these programs are sounding better than the ones I ranked at the top of my list initially though.

So stressful.

Reactions: 1 user

Have had like 12 phone interviews already today, some of these programs are sounding better than the ones I ranked at the top of my list initially though.

So stressful.

I dont want to pry, but this kind of doesnt make sense to me. Is there any reason you can think of that you didnt match?

I dont want to pry, but this kind of doesnt make sense to me. Is there any reason you can think of that you didnt match?

I got a lot of good feedback from my interviews. Felt confident. But I mainly applied out west and it was ultra competitive this year. Only 11 of the 176 or so positions left for SOAP are out west.

I think I should have spread it out a bit more. Most of my calls today have been from the east coast.

good luck SLC, I would try to ask someone to practice interview before program call you. Just to be safe.

I applied Neuro, but didn't take USMLE so I should have thought better about that. I initially went into med school thinking FM, so that's what I'm trying for now. I would be happy with that and I don't think it's settling. I enjoy primary care. I'm wishing I had just stuck with that now. Everyone I know who applied FM matched and doesn't have to go through this #@$@$#$. But at least there are still some good FM programs out there in the SOAP.

Surely there are some neuro spots in the SOAP you can apply for as well.

I applied IM. Hate to blame others but my school offers no help or guidance on the matching process whatsoever. I was pretty naive about the process and basically did not apply enough places and thus I did not have enough interviews or places to rank. Now I have to SOAP. :-(

I haven't received any calls yet but sent out apps in ERAS a bit later in day.

good luck SLC, I would try to ask someone to practice interview before program call you. Just to be safe.

Thanks, I appreciate it. They seem to be going well again this round.

What's so unnerving is programs making "soft promises" little things like "don't worry, we're trying to convince you to come here" or "we're putting a star by your name". This was the stuff I heard before and I don't trust it.

Good thing is it seems like I may have the potential for multiple offers to choose from, and all the programs I talked to today seemed pretty dang solid. In a way it would be nice to hand pick from multiple offers rather than be stuck with what the match gives me. I was a little worried about going to some of my lower ranked places, perhaps I dodged a bullet this morning?

I got a lot of good feedback from my interviews. Felt confident. But I mainly applied out west and it was ultra competitive this year. Only 11 of the 176 or so positions left for SOAP are out west.

I think I should have spread it out a bit more. Most of my calls today have been from the east coast.
I remember prepping for step 1 at the same time you did.

I'm pulling for you, you deserve a spot. Good luck.

Good luck all! I remember last year being in this spot and feeling that combination of nerves and shock and that feeling of detachment.
Take a deep breath and keep your head up

Reactions: 3 users
Thanks, I appreciate it. They seem to be going well again this round.

What's so unnerving is programs making "soft promises" little things like "don't worry, we're trying to convince you to come here" or "we're putting a star by your name". This was the stuff I heard before and I don't trust it.

Good thing is it seems like I may have the potential for multiple offers to choose from, and all the programs I talked to today seemed pretty dang solid. In a way it would be nice to hand pick from multiple offers rather than be stuck with what the match gives me. I was a little worried about going to some of my lower ranked places, perhaps I dodged a bullet this morning?
what are some of the programs available in the SOAP IM?

Just curious

So stressful.
If you dont mind me asking, what r the iv questions like, and how long would a call last?
Good luck!

If you dont mind me asking, what r the iv questions like, and how long would a call last?
Good luck!

Mainly a lot of programs were asking why I think I didn't match. Which when I asked my advisor (who's a DO Family Med PD) why they were asking that and how I should handle it, seems to be a response to seeing my app unmatched. Basically they don't understand why, and are trying to probe for red-flags.

My last interviewer was so flabbergasted that I was unmatched, he assured me I would be snatched up quickly. Basically said "horrible for you, but fortunate for us"

Reactions: 1 users
4 phone calls so far. questions are pretty basic with lots of discussions about the program. This is a strange process.

Matched to a top tier rads program, SOAPing for prelim. I'm kind of a wreck. Was hoping to only move my family once, but no dice. Only one call so far. My dean said not all programs do interviews, only some. Have you guys heard this also? It seems an awful lot of people are getting interviews for this to be true.

Matched to a top tier rads program, SOAPing for prelim. I'm kind of a wreck. Was hoping to only move my family once, but no dice. Only one call so far. My dean said not all programs do interviews, only some. Have you guys heard this also? It seems an awful lot of people are getting interviews for this to be true.
How do you know it's top tier? Were you able to find out the location from the NRMP?

How do you know it's top tier? Were you able to find out the location from the NRMP?

When you go partially unmatched, they tell you the city where you matched. This way you can target open programs in that area...and hopefully not have to move twice.

Thus one can a lot of times figure out the program for the part they did match.

Back in the day, I didn't match advanced and was told the city of my prelim match. I only interviewed at one program there so I knew the place before match day. I was the last year of the scramble and somehow scrambled into basically the only open advanced position in my chosen specialty that was left...and it is one of the most competitive specialties. So people can do it...just keep up the hope and morale.

Remember, programs that interview are seeing how you all handle stress (utter devastation), so try your best to project positivity.

Last edited:
If you partial match, your school tells you the city where your advanced program is. Considering there is only one program for my specialty in that city, I know where I matched. ;) However, if I don't SOAP into a prelim, it's not like I can go there anyway. So...I guess then my children and I will just be starving on the street with $200k loan debt. Fun.

If you partial match, your school tells you the city where your advanced program is. Considering there is only one program for my specialty in that city, I know where I matched. ;) However, if I don't SOAP into a prelim, it's not like I can go there anyway. So...I guess then my children and I will just be starving on the street with $200k loan debt. Fun.

so our deans know where everyone matched?

Yes, but it's a match violation to tell you, even if you partial match they can only tell you the city. However, many cities only have one program, or that person only interviewed at one program in the city.

I too applied FM had a ton of interviews, ranked 14 and did not match. Only applied out west too. Had decent scores, would not think i'm socially awkward, and never thought i would be in this position :(

No calls yet. Very stressed, so yeah SOAP not going okay for me.
Good luck to the others who got calls.

2 calls so far yesterday..hoping for a lot more today..they both asked me what happened..i wish i knew... :( could not sleep at all this night..horrible

My school said many programs won't do interviews and not to freak out today if I didn't get contacted by anyone. No phone calls for me.

My school said many programs won't do interviews and not to freak out today if I didn't get contacted by anyone. No phone calls for me.

This is reassuring. After what felt like an entire day on the phone yesterday (like 15 calls) I took stock last night and realized I only really heard from like 8 programs. It will be interesting to see what happens tomorrow!

Has anyone had any interviews using skype or has been surprisingly added as a contact?

This morning I got a different response from my dean, who told me it's highly unlikely to receive an offer in the SOAP unless you've interviewed with that program. I feel like everyone is just screwing with me now. lol

For those partially matched, you can call NRMP and ask what location you matched. Explain that you are trying to pair your location for intern year and advanced year in the same location so you do not have to move. The person was nice enough to me.

I found the NRMP phone number in the "Reminders for Match Week and SOAP" email.

Hi, if a few of the 35 programs that I applied are still unfilled after round 1, do we re-apply for round 2?

This is reassuring. After what felt like an entire day on the phone yesterday (like 15 calls) I took stock last night and realized I only really heard from like 8 programs. It will be interesting to see what happens tomorrow!
They told us different things depending on what we are trying to get into at this point. Highly competitive programs they seemed to feel likely would contact people for interviews. Other specialties they said not to worry as much. I just want a job for next year at this point.

Phone's been quiet for me too, I really don't know what that means or what to expect. Good luck everybody. This sucks but we'll get through it.

Also riding the SOAP wave. My dean also told me that in her experience SOAP positions have only been offered to students who were contacted by the program. Has anyone received any word from IM programs?

Phone's been quiet for me too, I really don't know what that means or what to expect. Good luck everybody. This sucks but we'll get through it.

Also riding the SOAP wave. My dean also told me that in her experience SOAP positions have only been offered to students who were contacted by the program. Has anyone received any word from IM programs?

doing 18 IM and 17 FM programs

no phone calls

AMG

shhitting my pants

I wish xanax was OTC

Reactions: 3 users
oh, and i ranked 12 FM spots all on the left coast... still can't believe i went unmatched... coming from big state school on the right coast

One more question, does anyone know if programs would contact us other than by phone? Email, etc?

any caribbean IMGs here?

I have good scores, but haven't received any calls. I know we have a lesser chance, but IDK.

this sucks

It's not true. The schools get the match results on Thursday AM:

http://www.nrmp.org/wp-content/uploads/2015/01/2015-SOAP-Schedule.pdf

For people who are partially matched, maybe the schools get info about their advanced spots, but I have never heard that before.

our dean yesterday told us that if we matched into an advanced program but not a prelim, he will tell those individual students only the locations they matched in (i didn't know if he meant city or state). I also couldn't tell from his words if he meant that he knew where they matched at exactly but refused to give them any details except for the location.

For prelim surgery positions, should I expect a lot of phone calls or do they usually not conduct phone interviews? I haven't received any phone calls