SOAP 2015

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Sure, but during SOAP it's considered a Match violation if anyone contacts programs on your behalf.

Even knowing this, crunching the numbers from 2014 and 2013, 82.3% and 85.6% of US grads get spots in SOAP respectively. The stats aren't great for FMGs/US IMG's.

It's only a violation if someone contacts the program on your behalf before the program contacts you. Once a program contacts you, you can offer to have them speak with someone who can vouch for you...

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
well no calls today. With the work day coming to a close, I think I'm done for teh first cycle. This sucks, someone hold me.

One of our administrators told me programs will even contact people through tomorrow morning. Don't give up yet

Did you not match for PMR/prelim or both?

Absolutely...but I was thinking don't people who applied super competitive specialities like Derm, Optho, etc. apply to different specialties all the time in SOAP? Wouldn't it be hard for them to get LOR's so last minute from the specialty they're applying to??

Sorry if I'm being repetitive, just trying to figure this whole process out =/

They apply with the PS and LORs that they already have. They don't go get new ones. The programs know that they weren't their first choice.

It's only a violation if someone contacts the program on your behalf before the program contacts you. Once a program contacts you, you can offer to have them speak with someone who can vouch for you...
IDK, my dean just told me they can't contact them on my behalf, even though they contacted me first.

well no calls today. With the work day coming to a close, I think I'm done for teh first cycle. This sucks, someone hold me.

One of our administrators told me programs will even contact people through tomorrow morning. Don't give up yet

Word. Do not give up yet.

upperclassmen are texting us telling us they were calling them up until 8pm eastern time and from 7 am the next day

however, i still cannot confirm (firsthand) if someone actually got offered something without at least a phone call or something

IDK, my dean just told me they can't contact them on my behalf, even though they contacted me first.

You might be right, but I don't think its a violation for you to offer up contact info so a program can make contact if they so choose, which is what I was trying to get across.

Sorry to repost... but I'm wondering if anyone has any insight into my previous post:

Logistical question/worry:
For programs that you applied to during the regular Match, but didn't get in... are they on your ADTS list of 35 programs?? I thought that I applied to them but now I'm worried that I didn't because they are not showing up there.... However, they do show up as updated in my original list of programs that I'm interested in...

Mine are...I reapplied about 9 of the same places. There's like a separate distinction for them though...at the bottom it says programs reapplied to during SOAP

Hi everyone, AMG here but a non-traditional applicant. Like everyone else, shocked and dismayed to be in this position. Got calls from 3 places yesterday, dead silence today. Trying to hold on to hope and to fight off thoughts for now of 'what the hell do I do with my life if nothing happens before Friday.'

Sorry to repost... but I'm wondering if anyone has any insight into my previous post:

Logistical question/worry:
For programs that you applied to during the regular Match, but didn't get in... are they on your ADTS list of 35 programs?? I thought that I applied to them but now I'm worried that I didn't because they are not showing up there.... However, they do show up as updated in my original list of programs that I'm interested in...

As the poster above said, they will show up on ADTS at the bottom in their own section.

Last edited:
Can you add programs this late in the game? If you have space? I meant to reapply by don't think I actually did:( :(

It is only a violation if you are caught.

I would heavily suspect there is behind the scenes communication going on between the medical schools and the programs that have open spots.

Honestly I agree with you on this one. It's human nature to go out and bat for people you trust and think are a good fit for a program. I would also go as far to assume that programs and schools keep in contact throughout the match process and communicate with each other which students they are ranking, so that the faculty can then advise students which programs to apply to.

You might be right, but I don't think its a violation for you to offer up contact info so a program can make contact if they so choose, which is what I was trying to get across.

The 2015 SOAP schedule has a clear written statement "Program-initiated communication between applicants and programs may begin, but no offers or commitments allowed" for Monday, and "Applicants and programs communicate by program-initiated communication" (emphasis mine) for Tuesday.

It's clear that it is a Match/SOAP violation, but that definitely doesn't mean it doesn't happen.

Can you add programs this late in the game? If you have space? I meant to reapply by don't think I actually did:( :(

It couldn't hurt right? the 35 applications of round 1 do not roll over into round 2, so I don't know that you would have anything to lose at this point. From the ERAS SOAP FAQ:

Can I apply to programs previously applied to during the regular ERAS season?
Yes, you may apply to programs previously applied to prior to SOAP by doing the following:
1. Log into your MyERAS account
2. Select the Programs tab -> Click on the Reapply to Programs sub-tab
3. Select the programs you would like to re-apply to
4. Click on the Reapply to Programs button
Programs you have re-applied to will have a reapplied notation next to them under the Programs Applied To section.

It couldn't hurt right? the 35 applications of round 1 do not roll over into round 2, so I don't know that you would have anything to lose at this point.

You actually hurt yourself by NOT applying. You lose any of the possible applications that you don't use and you only get 10 applications for the second round.

Reactions: 1 users
The 2015 SOAP schedule has a clear written statement "Program-initiated communication between applicants and programs may begin, but no offers or commitments allowed" for Monday, and "Applicants and programs communicate by program-initiated communication" (emphasis mine) for Tuesday.

It's clear that it is a Match/SOAP violation, but that definitely doesn't mean it doesn't happen.

It's not a SOAP violation to offer contact info for a mentor or faculty member after you have already been contacted by a program.

It's a match violation for you or anyone else to initiate contact with a program.

It couldn't hurt right? the 35 applications of round 1 do not roll over into round 2, so I don't know that you would have anything to lose at this point. From the ERAS SOAP FAQ:

Can I apply to programs previously applied to during the regular ERAS season?
Yes, you may apply to programs previously applied to prior to SOAP by doing the following:
1. Log into your MyERAS account
2. Select the Programs tab -> Click on the Reapply to Programs sub-tab
3. Select the programs you would like to re-apply to
4. Click on the Reapply to Programs button
Programs you have re-applied to will have a reapplied notation next to them under the Programs Applied To section.

Just to clarify, the actual 35 applications submitted for round 1 will still be used in consideration for any remaining unfilled spots from the initial 35 spots you applied to for round 2 and beyond, correct? The 10 additional applications are to be used solely for new programs that you did not previously apply to in round 1.

EDIT: And also, will an updated version of the remaining unfilled spots after the conclusion of Round 1 be provided after the first set of offers have gone out and been accepted/rejected? Any input from those who have previously gone through this process as to what percentage of positions remain after the conclusion of round 1?

Just to clarify, the actual 35 applications submitted for round 1 will still be used in consideration for any remaining unfilled spots from the initial 35 spots you applied to for round 2 and beyond, correct? The 10 additional applications are to be used solely for new programs that you did not previously apply to in round 1.

EDIT: And also, will an updated version of the remaining unfilled spots after the conclusion of Round 1 be provided after the first set of offers have gone out and been accepted/rejected? Any input from those who have previously gone through this process as to what percentage of positions remain after the conclusion of round 1?

Yes, they will still consider you. You do not need to reapply to them.

Yes to both. As long as you applied to them for round 1 and they didn't fill, they have your info and you are still available for consideration. The 10 for round 2 are for places you have not applied to, SOAP or otherwise. At the end of round 1, the list will be updated so you know which programs you have a chance/don't have a chance with anymore.

Only one email and resultant phone interview in FM, but it went REALLY well -- lasted over thirty min. And several email exchanges afterward. PD kept asking me if she could do anything for me to let her know and I so desperately wanted to say "yeah, give me a job ;)!"

Reactions: 6 users
I figure it will not hurt to join this thread. I am glad that we are able to support each other through this SOAPing process. I also did not match this year (OB-GYN). I was both shocked and disappointed. I applied to all of the OBGYN prelim spots and a combo of gen surg and IM. I haven't received an email or phone call for any program. I am anxiously awaiting tomorrow morning and am hoping that just because I have not heard anything, programs are actually interested in me.

no idea what's going to happen now. i haven't heard anything from the past 2 days. i sent in all 35 apps at 2 pm on monday. i know someone that got an interview wednesday afternoon (2nd round) of last year so maybe it'll work out.

i applied to EM this year and thought for sure that i was going to match based on my audition rotations. i'm still holding out for hope though. all i need is a prelim surgery spot.

After the program contacts you, go for it! The dean, your letter writers, any reliable person needs to be available to vouch for you.

Joining in the fun, 2nd time for me to go through SOAP. Applied for categorical gen surg last year, SOAPed into a surgery prelim spot. FYI, last time I ended up at a program that did not contact me prior to making an offer.

So far only 1 phone interview.

Reactions: 1 users
After the program contacts you, go for it! The dean, your letter writers, any reliable person needs to be available to vouch for you.

Can I get a clarification here?

You're saying that after a program contacts you, you can tell your dean/letter writers/reliable persons to contact the program on your behalf?

Can I get a clarification here?

You're saying that after a program contacts you, you can tell your dean/letter writers/reliable persons to contact the program on your behalf?
Absolutely!
As soon as you talk to them, offer to have these folks get back to them (or speak with them as soon as you are through talking to them). Chairmen of the department in question are particularly helpful, student affairs deans are good too.

Absolutely!
As soon as you talk to them, offer to have these folks get back to them (or speak with them as soon as you are through talking to them). Chairmen of the department in question are particularly helpful, student affairs deans are good too.
Thanks for your information.

The SOAP schedule is misleading when it says that the contact can only be program-initiated.

Thanks for your information.

The SOAP schedule is misleading when it says that the contact can only be program-initiated.
But once contacted, you can have anyone help you.
Tell the PD that the dean, chair... would be glad to speak to them. Ask for an appropriate time for them to call, or give them the number of the chair...

My dean insists this is not true. :( Whether it is or not, sucks to be me.
I'm so sorry. I would call and talk to them if I could.
Tell him to go onto the GSA listserve and post this as a question. I will respond myself.
Once the program has made contact, you and your designee are free to repond.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 2 users
Joining in the fun, 2nd time for me to go through SOAP. Applied for categorical gen surg last year, SOAPed into a surgery prelim spot. FYI, last time I ended up at a program that did not contact me prior to making an offer.

So far only 1 phone interview.

How often would you estimate that that's the case? Programs not contacting you but still offering...

Got word that I'm being offered a spot at a place that I passed over with my initial applications because I thought there was no way on earth they'd ever consider me. That may have been true for the main match but I am thrilled! Probably more excited than I would have been if I matched into my top programs on my match list!!!!

Such a relief!

Reactions: 28 users
Got word that I'm being offered a spot at a place that I passed over with my initial applications because I thought there was no way on earth they'd ever consider me. That may have been true for the main match but I am thrilled! Probably more excited than I would have been if I matched into my top programs on my match list!!!!

Such a relief!

now get some much needed sleep tonight!!

Such a relief!
Congrats!!

But once contacted, you can have anyone help you.
Tell the PD that the dean, chair... would be glad to speak to them. Ask for an appropriate time for them to call, or give them the number of the chair...

Thanks for sharing your knowledge! I have another question regarding getting work. If Match, fails, and SOAP fails, where can I find information on programs who are still hiring and unfilled? Do I just hit the phones/faxes and start sending my CV to every program one after another or is there some sort of resource that I don't know about?

Thanks again for your help.

Reactions: 3 users
I'm so sorry. I would call and talk to them if I could.
Tell him to go onto the GSA listserve and post this as a question. I will respond myself.
Once the program has made contact you and your designee are free to repond.

Cleared up. It seems I misunderstood part of our conversation yesterday, definitely not a match violation for them to call after an interview. They said if the school has contacts in the area of the program, they'll call. No idea what contacts they have or don't have, but at least I feel a little better about it.

i applied to EM this year and thought for sure that i was going to match based on my audition rotations. i'm still holding out for hope though. all i need is a prelim surgery spot.
Just curious, how many EM programs where there in the SOAP this year?

Thanks for sharing your knowledge! I have another question regarding getting work. If Match, fails, and SOAP fails, where can I find information on programs who are still hiring and unfilled? Do I just hit the phones/faxes and start sending my CV to every program one after another or is there some sort of resource that I don't know about?

Thanks again for your help.

The SOAP schedule from the NRMP (https://r3.nrmp.org/soap/) also says that Thursday 6pm (eastern), the updated unfilled list will be posted. That way you know who still has spots available.

Thank you ThoracicGuy! I was under the impression that if I complete a prelim PGY1 in IM, I will able to apply in the next match for PGY 2 IM only and not categorical IM.

If I can get only a prelim internal medicine position in SOAP, would that be helpful in applying next match for categorical internal medicine?
You are also eligible for openings in categorical programs if someone leaves during internship.

Sorry for joining thread so late. I just came out of my black cloud of despair. Pretty depressing. AMG who Ranked 10 general surgery programs and didn't match. Was told I had excellent letters, scores, and a strong applications. Had great interviews. No idea what happened. Everyone I know is in shock with me. But that's in the past. Applied to all cat surgery positions including vascular and plastics integrated. And 2 IM categorical programs back in my home state. Got a phone interview Mon for an IM spot which I thought was quick and interesting. Got one phone interview Tues for surgery prelim spot.

The only ppl I know who are getting >5 interviews are those who applied to FM spots. Everything else seems pretty quiet. Some are getting emails from prelim surgery programs.

Was also told that they might make an offer without contacting us. Which just seems cruel right?!?! Your school can definitely contact the program on your behalf only AFTER the program has contacted you. We have faculty on standby in every specialty who are willing to place a call for you. Anything can't hurt at this point right?

There are an overwhelming amount of applications for SOAP this year. Was told that some has more SOAP apps than apps during regular cycle!! Literally like 3000+ apps for some programs that they have to get through in 1.5 days. So I don't suspect every program to be calling and interviewing.

Hang in there everyone. I know this sucks really bad. My friend ranked 15 and canceled 10+ interviews also didn't match. We are both trying to recover from shock. Let's see what happens today. The 35 you originally apply to does carry over after the 2 offer rounds today. Then u get 10 more!

I feel bad for you guys not in surgery cuz who the hell wants to do a prelim surgery year. Seems so awful. This who system is awful. Make more residency spots already. At this point I don't even mind getting paid like $20,000 a year if it mean I had a residency!

Reactions: 2 users