SOAP 2018 Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Batman's Underwear

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Lets get this started!

And please do not violate match policy.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
You are going to be ashamed of panicking like this as soon as tomorrow at 11 am, and even more so at noon on Friday.

Reactions: 2 users
6814CB06-6DDA-4DE2-A33E-A92365260FC1.gif

;)

few more hours till insanity. I wish you all the best

Just want to say that I matched this year. I was in a thread like this last year and I thought there was no light at the end of the tunnel. I didn't get a position in the SOAP last year.

To everyone who is SOAPing, I'll just say there is a light at the end of the tunnel and there is a plan that God/nature/whatever you want to call it has for you. One of my friends last year had 3 step failures and got into a top tier program in his desired specialty in the SOAP.

Godspeed to everyone here! :)

Last edited:
Reactions: 17 users
Completed submitting my application. Waiting for a miracle. 20 IM/20 FM

Reactions: 3 users
i am going to wait for second rounds. Let hope and pray. Waiting for phone calls to ring.

i am going to wait for second rounds. Let hope and pray. Waiting for phone calls to ring.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think you should use them all now. From what I understand anyway.

Reactions: 1 users
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think you should use them all now. From what I understand anyway.
It's OK for most people to hold a few in reserve for the 2nd round. There are good reasons to do it either way. 5 is the most I'd hold onto though.

It's OK for most people to hold a few in reserve for the 2nd round. There are good reasons to do it either way. 5 is the most I'd hold onto though.

Just want to ask. What's the reasoning behind keeping a few in reserve?

people use them in surgery prelim/ Its better get something rather then nothing.

just out of curiosity, are there many unfilled FM spots in so cal?

Throwaway account for a longtime SDN member. All through med school I'd read the SOAP threads and wonder if I was going to end up in one, and now here I am. I failed Step I, got a low score on the retake, and did okay but not great on Step II. I also failed surgery. I applied for anesthesiology, which was a reach but was the only field of medicine I could stand. I ended up with three interviews, two of which were from places I rotated at. I'm splitting my SOAP applications into roughly equal parts anesthesia, transitional year, prelim medicine and prelim surgery. We'll see what happens.

just out of curiosity, are there many unfilled FM spots in so cal?
I was blown away to see how few unfilled FM spots there were all over the country. (You checked so cal list on ERAS?)

Throwaway account for a longtime SDN member. All through med school I'd read the SOAP threads and wonder if I was going to end up in one, and now here I am. I failed Step I, got a low score on the retake, and did okay but not great on Step II. I also failed surgery. I applied for anesthesiology, which was a reach but was the only field of medicine I could stand. I ended up with three interviews, two of which were from places I rotated at. I'm splitting my SOAP applications into roughly equal parts anesthesia, transitional year, prelim medicine and prelim surgery. We'll see what happens.
Good Luck bro. Dont give up, we all will get our chances.

I was blown away to see how few unfilled FM spots there were all over the country. (You checked so cal list on ERAS?)

I matched, but just curious to know if I would have gotten better options location-wise through SOAP

I was already blown away by how competitive FM has gotten throughout interview season. Best of luck with the process!

So the only thing we can do is just waiting, right? After applied the PGs.

In SOAP now, sucks so much.

All I can do is wait I suppose.

Reactions: 3 users
Thats all we can do. Going to gym to kill sometime. Time aint passing for me

I wish my school was better at educating us on SOAP strategies.

I have more than 5 in reserve although I did apply to a decent amount.

Not sure where to apply with the rest right now.

Anyone get any calls yet?

It's really early for calls--keep your phone charged and handy this afternoon and evening, of course, but don't really expect calls until tomorrow.

Hi! I'm also SOAPing and just had a quick question: does anyone know if interested programs will email to set up a phone call, or if they will just call? I'm trying to figure out if I can realistically go run errands/move around today without fear that my phone could ring at any moment for a semi-professional interview while I'm driving or out someplace noisy. I know this is likely a dumb question, but given that there is so little I CAN control at this point, I'd like to minimize surprises...

Hi! I'm also SOAPing and just had a quick question: does anyone know if interested programs will email to set up a phone call, or if they will just call? I'm trying to figure out if I can realistically go run errands/move around today without fear that my phone could ring at any moment for a semi-professional interview while I'm driving or out someplace noisy. I know this is likely a dumb question, but given that there is so little I CAN control at this point, I'd like to minimize surprises...

I want to know this too. I didn't go to my rotation today except for signing in. Tomorrow if I get a phone call do I just leave and conduct an interview in the hospital?

Can I ask why you didn’t apply to IM or FM backups?

I'm in the SOAP too. Ranked 10 psych programs but came out empty handed. Yikes

I applied to 45 programs, a mix of psych/IM/FM/surg-prelim. I have received 2 calls so far

Congrats to Dr.MissWV on getting the call

Can someone please like my post, then I can reply directly. Thanks!

I matched, but just curious to know if I would have gotten better options location-wise through SOAP

I was already blown away by how competitive FM has gotten throughout interview season. Best of luck with the process!
Thanks....glad you matched. Mind if I ask where?

Not a silly question, imo. Had the exact same concerns...

Unfortunately, another who did not match, shooting for EM. AMG. No red flags. Applied to 44 programs so far on SOAP - FM, peds, EM. Received 1 email to set up a phone interview for peds. Goodness this is stressful :l

I wish my school was better at educating us on SOAP strategies.

I have more than 5 in reserve although I did apply to a decent amount.

Not sure where to apply with the rest right now.
My experience is many schools take the $$ and it's "hasta la vista" once this process starts. Ironically, found one article need to try to find which program it is from) that has volunteer med students help M4's with getting SOAP apps done, has faculty assigned to help, and even offers grief counseling. At least they prove they are earning the $$. Wishing all the best.

Any IMGs who have gotten calls/emails yet? Asking for a friend.

It's really early for calls--keep your phone charged and handy this afternoon and evening, of course, but don't really expect calls until tomorrow.
Do they also interview via "Skype" and such?

My experience is many schools take the $$ and it's "hasta la vista" once this process starts. Ironically, found one article need to try to find which program it is from) that has volunteer med students help M4's with getting SOAP apps done, has faculty assigned to help, and even offers grief counseling. At least they prove they are earning the $$. Wishing all the best.

This has been my experience with my school for the 4 years. Of course, any criticism is buried under the "Be Professional" umbrella.

Not much I can do about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.