SOAP 2018 Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Do they also interview via "Skype" and such?

This is just n=1. I got an email inviting me to interview, then some available times (4:30, 5, 5:30 etc.) They were scheduling them for 30 minute slots. They said interviews can be done by telephone or FaceTime. Hope this answers some questions!

Edit: The email was through ERAS, and showed up as 'interview invitation' much like a regular invitation would have during the regular interview process. I'm sure they are not all like this, but this one was!

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
I'm in the SOAP too. Ranked 10 psych programs but came out empty handed. Yikes

I applied to 45 programs, a mix of psych/IM/FM/surg-prelim. I have received 2 calls so far

Very similar situation here. I got positive interview feedback almost across the board but I guess my test scores tanked me :(

I applied to psych/peds/FM in the SOAP and I've gotten zero calls thus far.

Reactions: 1 users
Very similar situation here. I got positive interview feedback almost across the board but I guess my test scores tanked me :(

I applied to psych/peds/FM in the SOAP and I've gotten zero calls thus far.
Same here. I applied OB/Gyn, FM/Surgery Prelim, totally used 43 out of 45 PGs. Zero call so far.

Reactions: 1 user
Guys so I matched into my advanced position but did not match into my intern year. After my SOAP this afternoon just got my few surgery internship interview offers from I am and where I will do my advanced position, but is surgery really tough compared to TY or medicine prelim? I just don't think my app is competitive for even SOAP TY/prelim medicine. Also do programs know that you matched into advanced position when they review your SOAP app?

I matched, but just curious to know if I would have gotten better options location-wise through SOAP

I was already blown away by how competitive FM has gotten throughout interview season. Best of luck with the process!
really?you think its appropriate for you to come on a SOAP thread and ask if you wold have been better off if you could have SOAPed?

smh...your empathy skills are AMAZING!

Reactions: 8 users
Guys so I matched into my advanced position but did not match into my intern year. After my SOAP this afternoon just got my few surgery internship interview offers from I am and where I will do my advanced position, but is surgery really tough compared to TY or medicine prelim? I just don't think my app is competitive for even SOAP TY/prelim medicine. Also do programs know that you matched into advanced position when they review your SOAP app?
take whatever offer you get...if you don't get an intern year position, then you will m/l have to forfeit the advanced year...any place, any program is worth the one year of being somewhere you don't care to be to make sure you ultimately get to practice in the field you want to be in for the rest of your career...now is not the time to be picky.

Reactions: 5 users
Does any one of you know any details of the transitional year PGs?

DO here. Slightly above avg steps. Was told I was a competitive applicant by many interviewers. Ranked 14 programs. Didn't match. Don't even know how to process this.

DO here. Slightly above avg steps. Was told I was a competitive applicant by many interviewers. Ranked 14 programs. Didn't match. Don't even know how to process this.

Sorry to hear that. Sounds like you wont have a problem in SOAP. Goodluck to you!

Hey everyone, I made a google survey to gauge how much phone and email people have been receiving? Somebody did this last year in the SOAP 2017 post. I found this might be helpful to alleviate some anxiety (or increase). Let me know if this works

Psychiatry: Psychiatry
Transitional Year: Transitional Year
Prelim Medicine: Preliminary Medicine
Prelim Surgical: Preliminary Surgical
Anesth: Anesthesiology
Derm: Dermatology
EM: Emergency Medicine
FM: Family Medicine
Internal Medicine: Internal Medicine
Neurology: Neurology
Path: Pathology
Peds: Pediatrics
PMR: Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation
Radiology: Radiology
Urology: Urology

Good luck everyone!!

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Sorry to hear that. Sounds like you wont have a problem in SOAP. Goodluck to you!
havent heard anything yet but good luck to you too!

Take a prelim surgery spot and run as fast as you can with it...

Reactions: 6 users
Got an email by a program asking me why I want to train there. Used every fiber of my being to compose something as someone who rocked College English/Writing and my 800 on Writing SAT could take me. Feels more draining than Comlex Level 1 not kidding.

Here goes nothing... sent.

What's really tough is having an Advanced program without an intern year and then having to give up your Advanced program.

Reactions: 4 users

I would just get in wherever you can. As Mark Cuban says, "If someone offers you a deal, shut up and take the deal"

For those of you who got calls/emails, did you guys submit your application right after 12PM when the ERAS just re-opened? I was wondering whether the timing is that critical. Thanks!

For those of you who got calls/emails, did you guys submit your application right after 12PM when the ERAS just re-opened? I was wondering whether the timing is that critical. Thanks!

I did for all of my path applications, yes. Not sure if that was the difference-maker though

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Had 3 interview ranked 3 programs for a competitive speciality. AMG. did not match. Below average step 1 score. I failed step 2 twice (barely the second time) and taking step 2 again in a few weeks after a lot more studying. I will be able to graduate and all assuming I pass on next attempt. I was not banking on matching and now I applied through SOAP for prelim medicine, TY, and Family med spots. No call stills. Any shot of landing a spot without a step 2 score? This is honestly a nightmare of a process to go through so I feel all of you guys going through this. I hope we all end up where were supposed to be.
Frankly, I doubt you will match with two failed Step 2 exams and no recorded pass.

I wish you the best, however.

Thanks Dr.MissWV! I submitted some of mine around 12:13, some at 12:39, the rest around 2:30. Sigh.

Thanks Dr.MissWV! I submitted some of mine around 12:13, some at 12:39, the rest around 2:30. Sigh.
PDs can only access the applications after 3pm EST. It doesn't matter if you applied at 12pm or 2:59pm EST. So you are good!

Last edited:
PDs can only access the applications after 3pm EST. It doesn't matter if you applied 12pm or 2:59pm EST. So you are good!
I'm thinking the PGs will probably just take a look at those applications on the top of their list based on the time gets in.

I'm thinking the PGs will probably just take a look at those applications on the top of their list based on the time gets in.
This is what it says in the email from ERAS this morning. " It makes no difference whether or not you apply right at 12 pm EST or just before 3 pm EST when ERAS will release submitted applications to residency programs. With this in mind, take the opportunity to research your Unfilled Programs List more effectively and efficiently. " :thumbup:

Reactions: 3 users
Hi! I'm also SOAPing and just had a quick question: does anyone know if interested programs will email to set up a phone call, or if they will just call? I'm trying to figure out if I can realistically go run errands/move around today without fear that my phone could ring at any moment for a semi-professional interview while I'm driving or out someplace noisy. I know this is likely a dumb question, but given that there is so little I CAN control at this point, I'd like to minimize surprises...
They can use any convenient method to contact you. They may interview on the spot or set up phone, Skype or in person interviews.

Can I ask why you didn’t apply to IM or FM backups?

I probably should have, but I just couldn't stand the thought of wiping noses in FM or endlessly circling the floors on IM. I'm a nontrad student with a backup career outside of medicine that I wouldn't mind falling back on. I don't know if applying to IM or FM would have helped anyway, since I didn't even get any surgery prelim interviews in the main match.

Its really crazy having to wait for this. Hope this ends soon with good results .

I submitted some applications at 3:06, is that really bad? :(

Did those of you who submitted apps outside of initial application specialty submit a new PS? I tried to but the ERAS program kept acting funky so I simply submitted my initial PS. I only submitted 17 apps out of the 45 available however, as I felt a little overwhelmed to apply to everything. Good luck to all! No calls or emails as of yet. No chance?

Did those of you who submitted apps outside of initial application specialty submit a new PS? I tried to but the ERAS program kept acting funky so I simply submitted my initial PS. I only submitted 17 apps out of the 45 available however, as I felt a little overwhelmed to apply to everything. Good luck to all! No calls or emails as of yet. No chance?

I appplied to two Pediatrics ones and used my FM Personal Statement. Ehh

I think your application will be reviewed later than ppl who applied before 3pm. but there are ppl who applied a few hrs late. I wouldn't worry so much.

I submitted different PS (just changed a few words in 2-3 sentences). I think no difference for that.

I appplied to two Pediatrics ones and used my FM Personal Statement. Ehh

I used my family med one for OB and peds. I mentioned in it that I enjoyed my peds and ob rotations and that is why family is the best fit for me.

Did anyone else get anymore calls?

Hello there. Hope you are all doing ok. Sucks to be having to do this but I hope we all get to where we need to be by the end of this. Some stats:
AMG
-step1: low 200s
-step 2 CK: 1 attempt with retake in 220’s
-step 2 CS: pass

Don’t know what type of SOAP candidate I am but I have my spread of Fam Med/peds/IM programs to which I applied.

Good luck!

Also, am I the only one with 0 calls/emails/any sort of contact right now...? Sigh, is this a bad sign...?

Last edited:

I sent my application at 12:00 EST but I didn't realize I have to assign my board score and photo until 4:20 EST. I feel incredibly stupid. But let's just try to keep our heads up. No point in keep beating ourselves up.

Last edited:
Thanks everyone! I didn't update mine at all though if they go through my deans letter they can read that I did do well/enjoy those rotations. ERAS wouldn't let me upload anything new for a while so I got nervous and just submitted my PS that I wrote for initial specialty which does not mention the others at all.
Good luck to everyone! I think this would be better if we were allowed to email interest and why.

I sent me my application at 12:00 EST but I didn't realize I have to assign my board score and photo until 4:20 EST. I feel incredibly stupid. But let's just try to keep our heads up. No point in keep beating ourselves up.
Good thing you found out at least. 1 hr and 20 mins is not so late. :thumbup: to your positivity

Does anyone know if they set up interviews during the day tomorrow? Like when do they stop trying to set up interviews?

Last year’s soap thread had people getting calls as late as Wednesday morning

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Does anyone know if they set up interviews during the day tomorrow? Like when do they stop trying to set up interviews?
I read in another thread that they can even call 1 hr before the deadline, and that's how that one applicant matched last year

Not at all, got step 1 240, step 251 soaping into IM, psych, fm, anesthesia and no calls

Hey there, reassuring to hear that I am not alone but I Understand and can relate to how stressful all this feels.

Im trying to SOAP into IM. S1/2 243/220, no calls

Hey there, good luck friend. I’m rooting for you I guess all we can do is wait out this process.

Rooting for all.

IMG.... 246/246 with no call so far...

According to the last year soap stat, if you are US IMG your chance of matching through soap is 3.3%. If you are US senior, it increased to 29.1%.

Status
Not open for further replies.