SOAP opera rotation

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

legaldlr

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
OK, so I just finished my 4th rotation today!:)
Petty venting (for anyone who cares)
My issue is this. Another student from a school other than mine literally jumped me today for no reason. Background info-and there is a ton, so wait til you are bored to read this, its not really all that important, I just need to vent.

The site had way too many students, some 15-20 (from a few schools), and many of the students had tension amongst themselves. This person who yelled at me has been a constant problem since day 1 for us all. It started when she was coming in around 10 and leaving at 2 (we are supossed to be there 8.5 hours). Well, someone, I dont know who, ratted her out about ten days into the rotation. This led to us having to sign in/out each day. Even then, she would regularly come later than the time she wrote up. I'm pretty sure that no one told on her for this, although I'm sure our preceptor had some idea. So the signing in thing p/o'd everyone and I think she knew it.

Also, since there are so many students, the preceptor designates a 'team leader'. This girl did an excellent job at trying to put out all the fires and was consistently very well balanced and fair to everyone. The team leader happened to be partners with the 'problem child' because they had the same rotation. About halfway thru, our preceptor broke them up b/c the team leader was doing all the work and the problem child (PC) wasn't doing anything. She actually changed her to a totally different rotation so that the problem child would be under almost constant pharmacist supervision.

Day to day problems continued such as an incident when the 'PC' refused to complete assignments given. She was regularly rude, dressed inappropriately at times, and talked on her cell phone during presentations and other times.
S*** hit the fan yesterday when, after there was nothing left for anyone to do being as it was almost over, 3 students left about 45 minutes early (with what they thought was permission). This prompted PC to run and tell our preceptor they had left. Needless to say, that issue was taken care of, but when those 3 students came in this am, they were very upset at having been snitched on. Mind you, the PC is on a different rotation schedule than our school and has an additional 2 weeks or so to finish.

So today, everyone else came in a few hours late, being as we only had to be checked out and turn in evals/pagers etc. The PC took advantage of this opportunity and did not come in til 1030 also. She also planned to leave about noon when the rest of us were leaving. So the 3 that were mad at her, in effort to get back, went to the PC's school's website to see the dates for Thanksgiving vacation. The PC had told the team leader and preceptor that she gets the entire week next week off for holiday. Total lie! The school is in another state so this is why she was going to get away with it. The 3 angry students went to the team leader and showed her the calendar and that the PC was lying. Of course, the team leader had to pass this info on. She also asked the preceptor if the students not finishing today could leave at noon with the rest of us, to which our preceptor answered, NO.

Now things are really getting ugly. I was merely a bystander during this all. (I have been respectful to everyone, even PC at all times.) However, another student told the PC about the phone call. (He is a whole 'nother story. Slow as MOLASSES I swear. I don't know how he is going to make it in pharmacy! Employers beware!!!) So after lunch when most of the students had checked out and left, the PC started asking me about why did she have to stay late, etc. I kept beating around the issue saying, I didn't talk to anyone, IDK, etc, etc, before I finally told her I don't care what you do, just leave, it doesn't make any difference to me what you do. Then, out of nowhere, SHE JUMPED ME! She yelled back "Don't you tell me what to do, I don't question when you come and go, blah blah blah" I was so taken back I said WOOO, slow down, time out. That's enough.

And that was it, no other words passed between us since. She ended up staying til 3:30, which is normal check out time if you come in at 7am. I know this b/c I am going to be team leader next block and was staying late to prepare. I have not told my preceptor about the incident as I do not want to bring myself to the level of her and everyone else who created the problem in the first place.

So after all that, my question is this. How can I deal with this in the future, and do I have an obligation to tell the preceptor? Obviously, she was upset at someone else and took it out on me, but this was completely unacceptable. Her behavior was (and has been ) beyond unproffesional. It is rumored our preceptor wants to fail her for the rotation, but heing as she is well known in the pharmacy world, and quite a diplomatshe feels it better to just pass her (her school is P/F only) to get it over with. She did go ahead and cancel the other rotations the student had scheduled at the site however. Basically, this is really bothering me. I tend to get overly upset when i get yelled at for no reason (probably a result of some childhood trauma (J/K)) I feel a professional duty to let someone know what's been going on. I am embarrassed for her school if they graduate her! Not just for what happened today, but for what's been happening for the past 5 weeks. On one hand, I am so angry I just want to write a letter to them, that's how mad I am. I would never do that however, because I know that is over-stepping the boundaries.

Trust, me, I am not the only one this riled up. Others are considering far worse. One person wants to call her future rotation sites and warn them. (Although this is probably not a bad idea)
I am not overly sensitive or naive about working with other people either. I have owned and opperated hotels and restaurants before pharmacy schoool and have worked with hundreds of other people. Never in my life have I come across someone like this. She will be a detriment to our profession should she continue along this path.

Has anyone else experienced anything like this before, and if so, what did you do. I am scared to go to the preceptor because I am on very good terms with her and don't want her to think I am trying to stir BS. Any advice?
BTW, The only reason I am not 'over it' and just don't care, is because I have to go back in next week and do some additional work for being team leader. I do have to see her again. That in addition to my gut telling me to take it on up.

P.S., I'm gonna die if someone else recognizes this 'issue', being as there are bound to be a student or two from our rotation on this forum. If you do, please, for the sake of decency, just PM me. I am honestly not trying to ruin myself. I'm just so darned upset.

Anyways, hope you enjoyed to drama. I am really not generally this petty, FYI.

Members don't see this ad.

Entertaining read! Um. You can't help it if other people are irrational/deranged, so don't be upset if you end up getting hurt by them. Just stay out of the way, and leave PC alone. She will get what's coming to her; no need for you to put yourself in harm's way in the inevitable outcome. By the looks of it she's going to fail anyways, so there's nothing more you can really do except push for an F-.

By the way, I forgot to mention. PC's voicemail was the laughing stock of the entire rotation. It answers " You have reached doctor ____________...." Perhaps I will find my resolution in knowing this and having a good laugh.

Members don't see this ad :)
Where do I begin..... I suggest you look in the mirror. Examine your own behavior. I am sure while this person was acting out, you had the opportunity to stay above the fray and go about the business of getting an education, which is the purpose of being on rotation. But I get the feeling you were involved in this soap opera. Since you got down in the mud, you can hardly complain about getting dirty. Just because other people were more deeply involved, does not absolve you of guilt.

Take this as a life lesson. There will be many many opportunities for your to gossip at work. DON'T take the bait. Stay above it. Nobody ever got left behind in their career because they failed to gossip.

If you think you don't gossip, this:
By the way, I forgot to mention. PC's voicemail was the laughing stock of the entire rotation. It answers " You have reached doctor ____________...." Perhaps I will find my resolution in knowing this and having a good laugh.
is gossip.

Whatever personal issues PC has, leave them to her and go about your business of getting the most out of your rotations....

I'd just focus on keeping yourself out of this mess, but you should also protect your reputation. Submit in writing what concerns you have about working with her to the preceptor or immediate supervisor. Don't bother doing anything that will only achieve the goal of her getting in trouble, rather focus on what will keep you in good graces and shielded from whatever comments she may make to taint the preceptor's perception of you. I'd do this almost as if I were a 3rd party observer, but be sure to state exactly what the real issues are (ie, she makes you uncomfortable by speaking to you rudely and in an unprofessional manner, her confrontational behavior detracts from your learning opportunities, etc) and don't make it a personal attack. Remember the preceptor wants the students to have a good learning experience so talk about what inhibits that and talk about this soon. This shouldn't look like an attack upon her at all, but if it comes after she makes some complaint about you then it won't be heard in quite the same way. You'll just sound like you're pointing the finger at someone else to avert the preceptors attention. You have to communicate that you're not tattling on her, instead you're asking the preceptor for help to achieve your rotation goals. Good luck.

I would not get involved, but that's me; I have an avoidance personality. Whenever there has been any drama or anything like that going on in all the pharmacies that I have worked at, I have always stayed out of it. I also have always gotten along with everyone at all the pharmacies I have worked at (may not have been there best friend, but I have never had any kind of personal dispute or have had any major problems working with them; and I have worked with all kinds of people, being at my fourth retail pharmacy and maybe... at least tenth place of employment now).

Just don't let people get to you; I know it sounds easy... and I think it actually is pretty easy (at least to me). If that girl asked me ten hundred times "what should I do?" I would have answered her ten hundred times "I do not know" like a broken record. I would think she would eventually get bored and move on, but you never know. I think I may have actually been in a similar situation where someone asked me what to do in a situation of theirs (fight with a co-worker/ what not), and I've told them that I don't know, that they've got to figure it out on their own. If you don't want to get involved, that's what you have to do.

I played a game of "**** it, I don't care" in relation to other students and what they did. Want to skip out for something? It doesn't affect me. Old Timer is right. Don't participate in this ****. Just sit back and laugh (to yourself). People watching is great....just don't be the person people watch....

Forget what she has done in the past and deal only with what she presents you with in the future. Treat her just like you'd treat anyone else. Give her the same chances and the same consequences if she fails to meet expectations. And, remember, it's not how you feel about her, but what she does or does not do that should affect your evaluation and actions.

The incident between you two is lame. Just let it go and move on.

Ya'll are right. I should just get over it. And believe me, after sleeping on it, I feel much better. I think I got my feelings hurt b/c I was the only one in our group that kept defending this person when others were gossiping about her. And yes, I did drop gossip on this forum, and on this forum only. I thought for as low as it might be, it was still much better than running my mouth at the hospital. I had to do something to get it out, and I did. I am sorry if others think me wrong for it, we are all certainly entitled to our opinions and I will not hold it against anyone who disagrees with me. And yes, this is lame. It shouldn't have happened and I shouldn't have let it get to me so bad. I think I will just act the same as I ever do, which is very nice and professional, when I am around this person in the future. Thanks for your feedback.

Is PC an affirmative action hire?

Amerikaner, that is an awful question. So you are saying she must be a minority because????......
As far as the PC....... I would just do my job and take care of my business and the PC will be told on by her own actions before too long. Old Timer had good advice....You did acknowledge that it is petty, and I think you should be bigger than this whole issue. Time to step up, grow up and be professional. Evidently, PC is going to have a hard time doing that. Good for you for staying out of it.

Is PC an affirmative action hire?

Did you read my post above? Did you understand it? I guess not. It means do not speak ill of others. I assume you are a religious person based on your previous post. So therefore I will answer you religiously. There was a wise man who wrote a book about the words of the psalmist:
Who is the man that desires life; who loves days, that he may see goodness [during them]? Guard your tongue from evil, and your lips from speaking deceit; turn from evil and do good, seek peace and pursue it.

Your question has only bad implications. I suggest you read this over. If you need more information on the sin of the Evil Tongue I suggest you Google Chofetz Chaim. Though the faith is not your own, the lessons are universal.

just worry about yourself

welcome to the real world: people are ALWAYS looking at a chance to bring you down

learn it now at rotations before you get your little heart broken in LIFE

just worry about yourself

welcome to the real world: people are ALWAYS looking at a chance to bring you down

learn it now at rotations before you get your little heart broken in LIFE

Exactly--do not let your professional life become your personal life or you will probably be unhappy (unless you're lucky enough to work in a place where everyone gets along with each other; but that's pretty unlikely).