soap (scramble) or no?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

derailed

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
deciding whether I should risk not withdrawing despite zero calls for obvious reasons made worse by a late application, and go in for soap, but I would like to know what the risks of not withdrawing are, so that I can weigh them against possibly negligible chances for even the soap. inputs and suggestions will help. thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Wait, what? Why would there be any risks at all? Why would you forfeit the chance to scramble this year? I only see potential benefits of not withdrawing from the NRMP.

Wait, what? Why would there be any risks at all? Why would you forfeit the chance to scramble this year? I only see potential benefits of not withdrawing from the NRMP.

Thanks. I would think a 'went unmatched last year' status would be a bad one to have. For programs I've applied to, it would mean reapplying (whereas it would be considered a first time application next year, if I withdraw this year). Moreover, wouldn't those people who interviewed at programs be more likely to get a 'scramble' position? I didn't interview anywhere.

Well, in the same vein, one could argue that being a year out of medical school is a red flag any way you look at it. You would likely still have to explain your situation to any program you apply to next year if this year doesn't pan out. If I were a PD, 'went unmatched last year' and 'withdrew from the match last year so I could be a pseudo first time applicant' both equate to the same thing. And when it comes to the SOAP, there is absolutely no correlation between no. of interviews (or locations) pre-SOAP and an ultimate match. In fact, if a program didn't rank you high enough through the match they probably won't be so keen on taking you through the scramble. Now I'm not privy to your entire situation, and I know you probably feel dejected and unmotivated right now, but the SOAP is your final shot. Take it.

Thanks. Don't know though, how they'd figure what you call the "pseudo" status. I've bigger 'red flags', and one more year out wouldn't be the biggest of them all. Appreciate your input. If I go in for this, does the approaching rank order deadline (Feb. 22nd) have any meaning for me?

Would appreciate if a few more folks could also chime in. Thanks.

Yea, the 'pseudo first time applicant' was a bit of a rub on my part sorry. Because even if you yourself withdraw from the NRMP this year, that doesn't make you a fresh faced first time applicant next year - at least that's the way I (and most other programs) would see it. Ignore the approaching ROL deadline, log into the NRMP on Friday, March 9th and your status should revert to SOAP eligible. Good luck.

I agree. Withdrawing from the match doesn't magically make you a fresh applicant. You would not be a "first time applicant" next year to programs that you applied to this year. Plus, there is no such thing as "first time applicant" in ERAS. If I see a name I happen to remember, perhaps I'll look at last year's applications -- but rarely, and this usually pertains to those people I interviewed but didn't match (as I'm much more likely to remember them).

You might as well try to get a spot in SOAP. Doing so in no way hurts your application next year, at least in any way I can see.

... If I see a name I happen to remember, perhaps I'll look at last year's applications -- but rarely, and this usually pertains to those people I interviewed but didn't match (as I'm much more likely to remember them)....

sounds like OP should just change his name and dye his hair.:laugh:
Seriously OP, the time to not go into the match was before you started applying. At this point you may as well go all in.

Appreciate the inputs. A bit confused about the process. Offical NRPM info seemed to suggest that you apply to programs from the list; they then send out offers; you then accept or reject the offer and this third step is final and binding. So this looks like a no telephonic or actual interview affair. Is this how it's supposed to pan out? Also, how is time important here? Will offers expire before the match/soap duration ends? Thanks.

It's all there buddy. The SOAP works in rounds. Offers will be sent out and it looks like you'll have a few hours to accept or decline whatever offer comes your way. If you get nada round 1, you wait for round 2 and so forth.

Appreciate the inputs. A bit confused about the process. Offical NRPM info seemed to suggest that you apply to programs from the list; they then send out offers; you then accept or reject the offer and this third step is final and binding. So this looks like a no telephonic or actual interview affair. Is this how it's supposed to pan out? Also, how is time important here? Will offers expire before the match/soap duration ends? Thanks.
You apply to programs via ERAS. You're not allowed to apply by faxing, calling, having your mother call, etc.

Once we get your application, if we're interested, we can call you, Skype you, call your Dean, or perhaps call your mother. Point is, once you've applied and we're interested, then we can do anything that's legal. (Calling your mother without your permission is not legal, BTW. I was just kidding about that)

You apply to programs via ERAS. You're not allowed to apply by faxing, calling, having your mother call, etc.

Once we get your application, if we're interested, we can call you, Skype you, call your Dean, or perhaps call your mother. Point is, once you've applied and we're interested, then we can do anything that's legal. (Calling your mother without your permission is not legal, BTW. I was just kidding about that)

Funny that it's illegal.

What do you think would programs prefer? Would they really take the pains to do a video conf.?

Thanks.