SoCal Anesthesiology Residencies

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AH4774

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello!

Longtime lurker, first time poster. I'm a 3rd year US IMG at one of the big 4 Caribbean schools with an interest in anesthesiology. Looking for any insight into residencies in the Southern California area, namely:

Riverside University Health System (County hospital. historically DO, but there's an IMG in the program)

Riverside Community Hospital (Busy level 1 community hospital with a new HCA residency that only has 1 class at the moment. Seems iffy, but the location is perfect for me)

Loma Linda University (it seems that there's a few IMGs here, although the whole religious aspect turns me off)

University of California, Irvine (also some IMG residents per their website)

My current goal is to work private practice. Zero interest in academics. Do you guys think all of these programs would be sufficient for this? Looking to stay in this area if possible (although I'll go wherever I match) to be close to my daughter. I'm not originally from the area, but my ex decided to move there so I'm hoping I can match with one of these programs.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Loma Linda and UCI are OK programs. (Don’t worry about the religious aspect at LL, it’s a non-factor).

I wouldn’t waste time on the other 2, although coming from the Carib., you might not have any other options if you’re dead set on SoCal.

Reactions: 2 users
I always wonder about people who are wary of religious hospitals. Do they think that they make you go to church every single morning and evening or something? Or force you to recite the Bible?
If anything, at least Seventh Day Adventist hospital would have healthier options in the cafeteria. I guess that’s what people have to be wary of. The lack of meat, meat, meat. That will kill some people. Lol

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I always wonder about people who are wary of religious hospitals. Do they think that they make you go to church every single morning and evening or something? Or do they force you to recite the Bible or something?

No meat in the cafeteria at LL is prob the biggest impact. Might have to have your own secret stash of caffeine too.

I always wonder about people who are wary of religious hospitals. Do they think that they make you go to church every single morning and evening or something? Or do they force you to recite the Bible or something?
Well, word on the street is they make you sign a document saying you'll refrain from drinking and smoking throughout your stay, and I particularly happen to occasionally enjoy these activities on the weekend.

Well, word on the street is they make you sign a document saying you'll refrain from drinking and smoking throughout your stay, and I particularly happen to occasionally enjoy these activities on the weekend.

My sister is a med student there now. A residency buddy of mine was Anesthesia staff there for a while. Both drink regularly.

Reactions: 3 users
And how are they gonna know what you do on your off time away from that town? And please don’t tell us you smoke and want to be a Physcian. And an anesthesiologist at that. Come on. Really?

Reactions: 1 users
And how are they gonna know what you do on your off time away from that town? And please don’t tell us you smoke and want to be a Physcian. And an anesthesiologist at that. Come on. Really?
Touché. Is there really something wrong with the occasional cigar when you're out and having a good time with some buds though?

Touché. Is there really something wrong with the occasional cigar when you're out and having a good time with some buds though?
Nothing at all. I thought you meant you were a regular cigarette smoker. Occasional cigars are perfectly fine. I enjoy one occasionally as well.

Last edited:
For anybody that reads this thread and is interested in these programs, I heard from somebody with the inside scoop that I should avoid Riverside Community Hospital's residency at all costs, along with other HCA residencies.

For anybody that reads this thread and is interested in these programs, I heard from somebody with the inside scoop that I should avoid Riverside Community Hospital's residency at all costs, along with other HCA residencies.
Even at the cost of not matching? I'm a 3rd year IMG too and would be happy if any anesthesia program took me

Even at the cost of not matching? I'm a 3rd year IMG too and would be happy if any anesthesia program took me

Then you guys should consider applying way more broadly. Out of SoCal, out of state...

I think Loma Linda was a good program. You’d see a full spectrum of cases. The culture there is fine. And the religious aspect is not a big deal at all unless you’re for some reason super against hearing some gospel music or having diet restrictions. I interviewed there in 2017. UCI I did my prelim year and met some of the anesthesia residents. I think they were relatively happy. Maybe things have changed since 2017 but I remember UCI main didn’t have much cardiac and no transplants, VA was pretty bare, and you share rotations at other hospitals with the other SoCal residencies. Another place is USC which I think sometimes goes unfilled every once in a while. Don’t know anything about riverside except it’s quite new. Apply more broadly in general, you wanna match. Good luck.

Members don't see this ad :)
The riverside reviews in the DO forum are pretty scathing

Yeah it’s surprising the UCI program isn’t at the level of the other UC programs. However I enjoyed my time as a prelim there. Teaching was great, resident autonomy was expected, ICU experience was great with plenty of procedures, and location was awesome.

I guess that would be a personal choice. This person basically told me that if I matched there, I would be confined to working alongside CRNAs at HCA facilities who contract with envision for the rest of my career. Residents are basically cheap labor.

Last edited:
Would you say UCI is a tier above Loma Linda?
I don’t have any objective data or sources other than I did an away rotation/interview at Loma Linda and was a prelim at UCI but I’d honestly put Loma Linda above UCI for training. UCI maybe has a better name because of UC system but it’s not nearly LA/SD/SF. The only thing UCI has above LLU is location. But then again, that’s also preference if you like city vs suburb. LLU medical campus is pretty huge and has all in one training including cardiac, transplant, peds, trauma. UCI didn’t have that and you were farmed out for sub specialties.

I don’t have any objective data or sources other than I did an away rotation/interview at Loma Linda and was a prelim at UCI but I’d honestly put Loma Linda above UCI for training. UCI maybe has a better name because of UC system but it’s not nearly LA/SD/SF. The only thing UCI has above LLU is location. But then again, that’s also preference if you like city vs suburb. LLU medical campus is pretty huge and has all in one training including cardiac, transplant, peds, trauma. UCI didn’t have that and you were farmed out for sub specialties.

I would agree with this assessment.

I think LL tends to be underrated due to location.

I would agree with this assessment.

I think LL tends to be underrated due to location.
And apparently the lack of meat and wine in the Cafeteria. I wonder if doctor lounges of old had Wine for lunch. I bet they did.
Edit: These people eat meat, drink caffeine and wine. Just not while "others" are watching. I grew up in the religion.
So many Sabbath vegetarians and non caffeine/alcohol drinkers. The ones who are all in with the diet are a wee bit looney.

I did an away rotation at UCI several years back and maybe things have changed now but I left my 4 weeks in Orange, CA completely unimpressed with the city. The hospital is in (arguably) the crappiest part of Orange County but you still pay $$$. Residents typically had a 30-60 minute commute to work in order to live in a more "affordable" area which was still pretty expensive. In regards to training, the fact that the residents did not have significant exposure to solid organ transplants, gun/knife club trauma, sick peds, or cardiac left a lot to be desired. It was unfortunate. Maybe they've changed things around now. Also I felt like the residents only talked about partying every weekend and that just isn't my vibe. Could be someone else's though. When talking to the PD he seemed to act as though UCI was some sort of a top tier program. It was very weird.

Well, I just recently spoke with an anesthesiologist who currently works at Riverside Community (he/she messaged me to warn me against their residency). Their first class is currently matriculating. I guess they were all contractors through a company named Envision that didn't pay for malpractice insurance. Their privately purchased malpractice policies didn't cover supervising residents, so they all refused to do so. HCA apparently fixed this by switching the anesthesiologists and CRNAs to W2, so that they would be forced to take HCAs malpractice and in return they could supervise residents. Also, they aren't keeping all of the docs on, so independent CRNAs will now outnumber attendings. I'm avoiding this residency program.

On a side note, 2 other people messaged me to avoid this program...One said that if I completed and HCA anesthesiology residency I would likely be stuck to working at HCA only facilities for the rest of my career.

And apparently the lack of meat and wine in the Cafeteria. I wonder if doctor lounges of old had Wine for lunch. I bet they did.
Edit: These people eat meat, drink caffeine and wine. Just not while "others" are watching. I grew up in the religion.
So many Sabbath vegetarians and non caffeine/alcohol drinkers. The ones who are all in with the diet are a wee bit looney.

Badventists!

• Haha
Well, I just recently spoke with an anesthesiologist who currently works at Riverside Community (he/she messaged me to warn me against their residency). Their first class is currently matriculating. I guess they were all contractors through a company named Envision that didn't pay for malpractice insurance. Their privately purchased malpractice policies didn't cover supervising residents, so they all refused to do so. HCA apparently fixed this by switching the anesthesiologists and CRNAs to W2, so that they would be forced to take HCAs malpractice and in return they could supervise residents. Also, they aren't keeping all of the docs on, so independent CRNAs will now outnumber attendings. I'm avoiding this residency program.

On a side note, 2 other people messaged me to avoid this program...One said that if I completed and HCA anesthesiology residency I would likely be stuck to working at HCA only facilities for the rest of my career.

The last part is not true. Once you have an ABA certificate and perform well in your first job, opportunities will present themselves to you. The further out you are, the less it matters where you trained.

Last edited:
Riverside Community Hospital Anesthesiology program is very new. They still have not set up web page. Can you share more on your views of Riverside Community Hospital and HCA residencies?

Riverside Community Hospital Anesthesiology program is very new. They still have not set up web page. Can you share more on your views of Riverside Community Hospital and HCA residencies?
I got your reviews after reading deeper into this thread.

Yeah it’s surprising the UCI program isn’t at the level of the other UC programs. However I enjoyed my time as a prelim there. Teaching was great, resident autonomy was expected, ICU experience was great with plenty of procedures, and location was awesome.
I also did my prelim there a while ago, it was great!

I am third year DO student now with high 240 step 1. I look for advice for anesthesiology residency. I plan to stay in California but will apply broadly including programs in other states.

Please advice on my ranking of categorical programs in California.
1. UCLA (my dream program)
2. Cedars-Sinai (my dream program)
3. UC Davis
4. USC
5. UC Irvine
6. Harbor-UCLA
7. Loma Linda
8. Riverside University Health System
9. Kaweah Delta
10. Riverside Community Hosp

I am third year DO student now with high 240 step 1. I look for advice for anesthesiology residency. I plan to stay in California but will apply broadly including programs in other states.

3. UC Davis
4. USC
5. UC Irvine
6. Harbor-UCLA
7. Loma Linda
9. Kaweah Delta
Don't waste your energy until you have interviews.

3. UC Davis
4. USC
5. UC Irvine
6. Harbor-UCLA
7. Loma Linda
9. Kaweah Delta
What’s the difference between 8 and 10

No meat in the cafeteria at LL is prob the biggest impact. Might have to have your own secret stash of caffeine too.
The anesthesia resident lounge is stocked with frozen beef burritos, corn dogs, hot pockets, jerky etc. If you need a more reliable protein source you can always bring lunch/dinner protein supplementation.

There are coffee machines everywhere, in the workrooms, anesthesia resident lounge, PACU etc.

Happy to answer any questions about LLU's program. I'm a senior resident, non-Adventist.

Last edited:
#8 Riverside University Health System is Riverside County medical center hospital

#10 Riverside Community Hospital is a private hospital owned by HCA and its new anesthesiology residence started in 2020.

I would advise you rank more established residencies out of state ahead of ranking a newer unknown program in Ca. For example, it would be easier to get a job in Southern California coming out of an excellent, DO friendly program like UW which already has an established pipeline to SoCal.

If you get interviews everywhere, I’d rank UW above the Riverside programs, Kaweah Delta, and possibly others on your list. And Seattle is much nicer than Visalia.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
I would advise you rank more established residencies out of state ahead of ranking a newer unknown program in Ca. For example, it would be easier to get a job in Southern California coming out of an excellent, DO friendly program like UW which already has an established pipeline to SoCal.

If you get interviews everywhere, I’d rank UW above the Riverside programs, Kaweah Delta, and possibly others on your list. And Seattle is much nicer than Visalia.
100% agree. I know the path is more difficult for DOs, but I would caution programs that don't have the word "university" somewhere in their title (of course there are exceptions, ie Cleveland Clinc, etc). Early in your career, where you do residency matters because it will a) make you relevant for fellowship applications b) gives indication of experience or lack thereof depending on where you train. As said above, the future out in your career it matters less because at that point you have work experience and at that point no one really cares where you did residency (maybe unless you're trying to go back into academics)

Try to get interviews with any place that has "University" in their name if you can and if you get them rank them all above any place that doesn't have "University" in the name. Now if there happens to be a program at Maui Regional Medical Center that has opened and the OR nurses look like hula dancers I can be convinced to change my position on the issue.

3. UC Davis
4. USC
5. UC Irvine
6. Harbor-UCLA
7. Loma Linda
9. Kaweah Delta
Why isn't UCSD on this list?

Why isn't UCSD on this list?
UCSD is actually my premed school. UCSD anesthesiology program is very biased towards DO like UCLA, and it has only advanced program. Otherwise, I would apply. UCSF and Stanford are out of my reach with 240+ Step 1 and limited research. This list is only for Calif, the rest is almost all categorical programs in other states.

UCSD is actually my premed school. UCSD anesthesiology program is very biased towards DO like UCLA, and it has only advanced program. Otherwise, I would apply. UCSF and Stanford are out of my reach with 240+ Step 1 and limited research. This list is only for Calif, the rest is almost all categorical programs in other states.
Lol back in the day, UCSD premeds were the worst species of premed in all of USA. Hope this has changed

is there more than one UCSD? I just googled their residents and didn’t see a single DO listed.

is there more than one UCSD? I just googled their residents and didn’t see a single DO listed.
There is only one UCSD and it is not friendly to DO students except may be FM and EM.