Social anxiety in med school.

Started by DocMooMoo
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

DocMooMoo

New Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I have social anxiety, and so far I'm doing okay. I'm not horribly unsocial. I have a few friends. I want to have a more active social life though. I want to go out and party, but I'm too self-conscious... it even effects my articulation to where I can't say things correctly and I have a blank mind. I'm on an antidepressant that helps some with social anxiety. I hope to get off it soon though, when I finally work out my long standing issues with social anxiety. Any one here with social anxiety? How are you coping in med school? How does it effect you? How are getting better?
 
Citalopram has done wonders. Still in undergrad, but now not hesitant to speak in class, more likely to lead in group discussions, more outgoing for my job. Nerves kick in minimally when speaking to a large group of people (on the job) but doing much better. Honestly, I don't want to go off of it b/c I feel like I can function in a normal manner now.
 
This used to be me. I didnt use meds but def suffered from anxiety and went to counseling. The thing that solved it was reading up on books on social anxiety + forcing myself interact with my classmates. Actually, more often than not I ended up in situations like during semester long group projects in grad school where I had no other choice but to get over it. Dealing with older people with life experience kind of forces you to get your act together and get more comfortable with social situations. Anyway you can maybe start being social with nonthreatening people and work you way up to your classmates?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
These would be great questions to ask a person who is specifically educated and trained to deal with issues just like these like counselors.
 
I have social anxiety, and so far I'm doing okay. I'm not horribly unsocial. I have a few friends. I want to have a more active social life though. I want to go out and party, but I'm too self-conscious... it even effects my articulation to where I can't say things correctly and I have a blank mind. I'm on an antidepressant that helps some with social anxiety. I hope to get off it soon though, when I finally work out my long standing issues with social anxiety. Any one here with social anxiety? How are you coping in med school? How does it effect you? How are getting better?
I have this problem too. I'm coping by talking to myself and reading sdn. 😎
It's bad it is starting to affect my studying but I think I have depression on top of that. Thinking about seeing a counselor or psychiatrist. :idea:
 
Just a little PSA:

Medical school is demanding. Emotionally/psychologically as well as academically. If you are at all concerned about anxiety/depression/stress/whatever, it is better to see a therapist earlier rather than later. Your school should have confidential counseling services and it probably also has some sort of student wellness board. These resources are far more reliable than SDN.
 
just a little psa:

Medical school is demanding. Emotionally/psychologically as well as academically. If you are at all concerned about anxiety/depression/stress/whatever, it is better to see a therapist earlier rather than later. Your school should have confidential counseling services and it probably also has some sort of student wellness board. These resources are far more reliable than sdn.

qft