Social anxiety making third year torture

Started by Nemi
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Nemi

New Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey everyone I am new to the board but I was hoping someone would have some sort of advice.

I am really struggling in my third year of vet medicine. I've always been prone to depression and have had social anxiety for as long as I can remember. Last semester has been the worst few months of my life to date. I know third year is tough, I know vet university is tough but this last year has felt a constant uphill struggle in which the boulder is slowly crushing me. I get pretty okay grades, I do way better when not feeling so anxious and over whelmed.

The thing is that this semester is the first year I have done almost none of my exams at christmas time. Our university uses an oral exam system for the most part and I just can't face doing it anymore. Going to my lectures is hard enough, the panic I feel when sitting in the hall makes me want to vomit. After 8 hours of near panic on bad days and just mild anxiety on good days I am completely knackered when I get in. I force myself to do a couple of hours study so I can attempt to relax in the evenings. the result is I am shattered going to bed, I sleep poorly and start the whole cycle the next day. I was so tired come the exam period I had no will to fight through the anxiety of the oral exams. I was so panicked over not knowing enough that I couldn't even make a decision on what to study for first. In the end I decided to take the couple of weeks off and hope I'd recharge a bit but I am halfway through my second week back and I just want to leave.

I am so tired of veterinary medicine. I am tired of being tired, tired of having that voice in the back of my head telling me I am doing this to earn peanuts doing a job that will leave me with no social life. I really don't know what I am making myself keep doing this for. I have zero motivation and with my social anxiety being what it is I know being a general practitioner isn't for me. I am lonely, miserable, stressed and oh so very tired. I have no idea what to do and feel like a complete failure that I can't just pick myself up, glue everything back together and keep going forward. The thought of attending class makes me want to scream and weep. I have no support system here, my partner lives in another country, I have no friends and I really think at this stage I am just beaten. I feel so done, is there any way to come back from this? Is it really possible to turn around and suddenly find a love for what I am doing again? Or am I better off just calling it quits now and looking into doing something else with my life? I always thought lab work might suit me better.
 
I'm sorry to hear about your struggles. Have you considered therapy and/or medication to help with the anxiety? My situation was a little bit different than yours, but it was still anxiety based, and finding the right medication was a huge help.
 
If your anxiety is leaving you feeling defeated and hopeless, I think you should seek out the appropriate counseling from your school. Talk to someone, and see if there are options for things like a leave of absence. I know people who have taken a leave for a couple of weeks, and I know people who have taken a year off and returned with the following year's class. Sometimes taking a step back gives you the perspective to take a fresh look at your situation, so that you can make a less emotionally-driven decision about whether or not you should continue. Best of luck.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I've tried a few different meds but they never seemed to work and left me either completely zombified (Not useful for studying) or had no effect. I have see 2 therapists here but finding english speaking therapists is a major problem. The language barrier aside getting myself together enough to stop panicking and talk to a stranger about my anxiety is a really big deal for me too so that is also stopping me from getting the help that I need. The campus has counselling services but they only operate for a couple of hours a week so are always completely booked up. The thing is I have already had 3 years off before starting my third year as there were a lot of personal things going on at the time and I was needed home a lot. I feel time ticking away on me as it is. I have another 3 years or so in the course and I am already 32. I know I need space to make a clear headed decision but I am at a loss as to how to get the space I need. I am really worried if I mention anything about my mental health issues they will just kick me out. When we started the course we needed to get a note from a doctor saying we were medically and mentally fit to do the course in the first place.

Thank you both for your suggestions.
 
Well, the decision here is entirely yours - do you see another career that you would be willing to take on at this point in your life? Is it worth the money/debt to quit now? Those are very personal decisions. Unfortunately, this field is riddled with mental health issues, and challenges every step of the way.

Personally, I needed to make time for sleep as it can either negatively or positively affect my mental health. Even if you lose 1-2 hours of study time, your brain will likely thank you for it. It may be worth taking the meds that make you a "zombie" just at night so you can sleep an appropriate amount of time.
 
I agree with all of the above. Additionally, can you talk with your parents or someone else supportive at night for a few minutes? While I don't have the same anxiety concerns as you, I find spending even just 5 minutes on the phone with my parents every night to be helpful. They let me vent (and cry [emoji16]) and give me advice and in general it lets me keep up to date with them. Sometimes you just need someone to listen to your concerns and support you.

I would also speak to your advisor/dean of students/equivalent and see what other thoughts they might have. They may know of therapists or be willing to lend an ear.

I hope everything works out for you!


Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app