Social event atire

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Hoju

I don't want Fop.
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So this may be a stupid question but I honestly don't know the answer. What is the expected dress for the residency interview social event with residents plus or minus faculty. Casual just don't look like a bum?

Members don't see this ad.

I'd dress like presentably. To me that's at least khakis/trousers with a button down for men. If the event is at a pub I'd think jeans with a more casual button down would suffice.

Business casual.

Depends on the program and the location of the social. If there's a specific restaurant named, you can Google and see what most wear there. If not, so far none of the programs have minded me specifically asking in an email to the resident coordinating the event.

Just went to one dressed business casual. It was the way to go. Some were more dressy, some were less dressy, but I felt just right.

So this may be a stupid question but I honestly don't know the answer. What is the expected dress for the residency interview social event with residents plus or minus faculty. Casual just don't look like a bum?

They should inform you of the dress in the interview correspondence, and you can also look up the venue in Yelp. When I interviewed, I dressed casually whenever the circumstances permitted (e.g., the interview letter says "This will be an informal dinner so that you can get to know the residents. Please dress casually"; or the event is held at a sports bar or some other casual venue). If not (e.g., the interview letter does not specify, or the event is held at a nice restaurant), then I went business casual.

Are knee boots appropriate for the pre interview dinner? I was thinking of these with tights and a dress. I'm applying to Psychiatry, if that makes a difference. Thank you.

My dinner says to wear jeans (no joke) tomorrow.

Skinny jeans acceptable?? :)

On a dude? No. Skinny jeans on a dude are never acceptable unless your Halloween costume is "hipster douche."

On a woman? Your call.

:laugh:

True. Please thierryhenry do not wear skinny jeans (your profile lists you as male). They are ridiculous on any one over the age of 15 with normal size thighs.

Are knee boots appropriate for the pre interview dinner? I was thinking of these with tights and a dress. I'm applying to Psychiatry, if that makes a difference. Thank you.

Per the students I spoke with who interviewed last year, the outfit you describe w/ boots is acceptable. I've only done one dinner so far and was too nervous to note if anyone wore boots. I was thinking of wearing them tomorrow night for a dinner, actually.

Great. Good luck on the dinner and the interview. I will have to manage all 5 of my interviews and 3 dinners with one rollaboard/carry on and I figure it's much easier to pack dresses vs trousers that would end up needing ironing. Any input on long hair with a suit - must I put it up? I end up looking like a librarian when I do that.
And the guy with the skinny jeans question - please don't. I doubt you'd be taken seriously :}