Changing for evening dinner/social

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

alwaysaangel

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
What is everyone else doing on interview days when the social is the same day but several hours after the interview ends? Wearing your suit or changing into something more comfortable?

Members don't see this ad.

I guess it would depend on the venue. If you aren't clear on what appropriate attire would be I think it would be appropriate to ask how formal of an event it will be. Naturally, you don't want to be in a suit if everyone else is very casual or vice versa.

I can't imagine that the residents would be showing up in suits, so there's no good reason why anyone would expect the applicants to wear suits. If anything, you being in a suit will make you stick out like a sore thumb. I'm a fan of business casual--you won't be overdressed if everyone else shows up in jeans, but you won't be underdressed either if people show up dressed a little nicer.

What is everyone else doing on interview days when the social is the same day but several hours after the interview ends? Wearing your suit or changing into something more comfortable?

At every single dinner/social I attended, I changed into jeans (unless we were told explicitly that the venue was some sort of 'nice' restaurant, in which case I just changed into business casual). I never attended a dinner/social in a venue that would call for a suit.

-AT.