Social work realistic salaries

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

neurom

Reaction score
Hello all, I am currently enrolled in a BSW program in Florida. I am interested in psychotherapy, school social work and medical social work, but I was curious of the salaries that people receive during their first years out of their training for LCSW/out of their MSW, or even down the line. Any info would be great, even rough estimates! Thanks in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
Hello all, I am currently enrolled in a BSW program in Florida. I am interested in psychotherapy, school social work and medical social work, but I was curious of the salaries that people receive during their first years out of their training for LCSW/out of their MSW, or even down the line. Any info would be great, even rough estimates! Thanks in advance.
BLS numbers, like R. Matey posted, can give a good sense. For VA specifically, I believe social workers typically come in at GS 11, although there might be some areas where they start or progress to GS 12. Should be able to give you a rough idea of federal salaries.

Members don't see this ad :)
For a w-2 job? I have seen $50-100k as a the range for a variety of jobs from people I know. Private practice will depend on a lot of factors, but six figures is certainly possible.

I graduated with my MSW a few months ago and am making $75k in an entry-level job. I live in a big metropolitan city and most LCSWs in private practice are charging just as much (sometimes even more) than PhD psychologists and can pull in well over $200k per year. I think it definitely depends on where you live though.

Look up VA salaries in your area. In mine LCSWs are starting around 84k and going up to around 107 (18 years exp), with managerial type positions paying more than that. Starting out of school I think is 69k, until one gets the license. In a high CoL area.

You definitely have to take cost of living into account. Find a good cost of living comparison website online and think of places you might want to live. I was semi-actually pondering a potential job offer recently that sounded quite good but would require relocation. When comparing the cost of living, put it into perspective as a clear nope.