Social work research course

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ikibah

MSW student
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Obviously what I'm about to ask is going to vary greatly by school but I'm still curious to hear about any experiences you guys may have had. I'm about to take my first research course over the summer and I am terrible, I mean extremely terrible at statistics. In undergrad I just barely scraped by and I am extremely thankful that my 4.0 es (excluding statistics) got me into grad school. I saw the syllabus for this course and it definitely includes quantitative research methods, analysis and design. I am terrified as I have absolutely NO background in statistics (Seriously undergrad was B.S-ing my way through the course, I have no idea how I came out alive) and I'm wondering how much math/statistics did you guys go through in your basic research courses. In the past I have seen syllabuses look all professional and impressive only to have the class cover about a quarter of what was mentioned. I am hoping that in a social work program this is usually the case and they generally don't focus too much on the stats part. Yes, I subscribe to the stats are icky school of thought and I will stand by that until the end.

Thanks guys.

Members don't see this ad.

Actually, my MSW research and statistics classes were so much easier than the research courses for my sociology undergrad and MPA. It was statistics lite and did not include a final exam, only a group project! Strangely, when you look at social work doctoral education, they are research and stats heavy.

I think this does vary by institution. Though I'll say it was no harder (little bit easier) than my research methods for psychology class. Now it was a cake walk compared to my Statistics for Psychology and generic stats class. My psych UG is a BS, and I had 3 semesters of some type of stats/research.

Members don't see this ad :)
Obviously what I'm about to ask is going to vary greatly by school but I'm still curious to hear about any experiences you guys may have had. I'm about to take my first research course over the summer and I am terrible, I mean extremely terrible at statistics. In undergrad I just barely scraped by and I am extremely thankful that my 4.0 es (excluding statistics) got me into grad school. I saw the syllabus for this course and it definitely includes quantitative research methods, analysis and design. I am terrified as I have absolutely NO background in statistics (Seriously undergrad was B.S-ing my way through the course, I have no idea how I came out alive) and I'm wondering how much math/statistics did you guys go through in your basic research courses. In the past I have seen syllabuses look all professional and impressive only to have the class cover about a quarter of what was mentioned. I am hoping that in a social work program this is usually the case and they generally don't focus too much on the stats part. Yes, I subscribe to the stats are icky school of thought and I will stand by that until the end.

Thanks guys.

I've always struggled with statistics as well. My experience in both psychology master's and doctoral (Psy.D.) programs has been that they tend to start with the basics regardless of the fact that it's a graduate-level course. I can't speak for social work programs but I would find it surprising if that weren't the case for that field as well. Good luck!

Thanks for all this guys....definitely reassuring feedback though.