Socialized medicine up north

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bedrock

15+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

• Wow
Reactions: 2 users
I don't disagree. I started my practice after fellowship this year. Offered to help the University clinic with their waitlist. Saw numerous referrals initially sent to them in 2019. More than a handful of whom had already passed away. Problem with a "free healthcare" system is that if you open the floodgates, the Government can't keep up with expenditures. You have to use waitlists / lines as a way of keeping healthcare costs in check.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
That's about the wait time to see a neurologist in my area of the US...maybe a little bit shorter tbh.

Members don't see this ad :)
That's about the wait time to see a neurologist in my area of the US...maybe a little bit shorter tbh.

I have noticed that neurology evaluations take forever to be seen the last 5 years.

Are neurology residencies not filling, maybe retiring early, or doing something besides direct patient care ?

Reactions: 1 user
Neurology and Rheum.

I think their visits are just extremely long and it is a complex field that midlevels aren’t too capable of helping.

I feel like neurology and rheumatology get a lot of inappropriate referrals and it sucks up their time

My patients insist on seeing a neurologist for sciatica “to see why I’m hurting” completely ignoring what I tell them or a spine surgeon tells them. 2 months later and they get their answer, which is to come back to see me.

Reactions: 4 users
I outright deny referrals to neurology for ppl who aren't better despite all my attempts. As I tell them, "I'm not attaching my name to that referral."

Reactions: 2 users
I outright deny referrals to neurology for ppl who aren't better despite all my attempts. As I tell them, "I'm not attaching my name to that referral."
I feel like neurology and rheumatology get a lot of inappropriate referrals and it sucks up their time

Agree with you both. I think that a very high percentage of outpatient neurology and rheumatology referrals are because the patient is crazy. The patient has non-anatomic symptoms, with normal exam and imaging, and the referring doc just wants them out of their practice.

I respect Mitch approach, but I admit I’ve referred several patients to university neurology because they are nuts, and a referral was quicker for me than arguing with them for 10 minutes.

Very different from a pain patient who just can’t accept they have a failed TKA, failed back, or generic DDD, when I tell them kindly but firmly that this is their life now.
I offer to send them for complementary treatments such as acupuncture, pain psych, etc? but I also make it clear to that there is no treatment which has been overlooked, that will magically make them feel 18 again.

I have no issue punting to either of those specialities as they try to dump on pain docs all the time

Reactions: 1 users
you guys really should spend some time with neurologists before you make such blanket statements. they see things in a vastly different way

i have seen enough cases of transverse myelitis, ALS, CIDP, lupus to last a lifetime.

this last year, 465 applicants, 8 did not match.

Rheum is handcuffed by blood work, the results of which are (based on our bell curve) inexplicable for chronic pain states and so they are forced to offer biologics without a dx or tell people that they have fibro and that “they still matter.”

Sux to be them, glad I didn’t pick it, but I’m sure many of them say that about us