Socializing in Professional Setting

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Farcus

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
how do you do this? lol I mean I have no problem socializing with my peer/friends but this is kind of different. more specifically how do you socialize with people that matter in your admission process during the interview process?

Members don't see this ad.

how do you do this? lol I mean I have no problem socializing with my peer/friends but this is kind of different. more specifically how do you socialize with people that matter in your admission process during the interview process?

I know this really matters, but when I do it I always feel like a fake two-faced weasel. I feel totally uncomfortable like I'm not really me and I have to be a kiss up. I guess you do what you have to.

Hypothetically speaking, I would treat an interview with the admission process as I would a job interview.... times 1000. I would show the interviewers who I am not only as a pharmD candidate, but who I am as a person. I'm sure they interview a million people where they can tell who is answering for the sake of answering and sucking up compared to those who aren't (or less haha). The interview threads in the forum pose many questions that are probably asked in interviews, so figuring out how to answer them in a professional, sophisticated manner is a start. I'm sure if you spoke normally with some manner of professionalism or sophistication, you would do fine.

Members don't see this ad :)
Well what I do is this. When I enter a professor's office, I would quickly scan the room for photos, diplomas and the schools they came from, poster and anything that was clearly a personal touch and interest of the interviewer. I would make a comment on anything that would catch my attention and take it from there.

For example:
"Ooh, gee golly. I notice you have a lot of Neuroscience books on your shelf. I did stroke research at kessler one summer so I find Neuroscience really interesting."

Just take caution and make sure that office belongs to the person interviewing you before you say anything. tee hee

I believe in just being yourself and relax. Just don't swear at them:D.

An interview is not exactly a social event. They ask questions, and you are to answer them. You have to be coherent, appropriate, and yes, you do have to sell yourself a bit, so you should be prepared to plug in some of your accomplishments (volunteer work, or any pharmacy experience) while answering the questions.

You may also want to prepare a few questions to ask the interviewers.

I'm going to disagree with previous posts. The interview is not the place to plug your extra curricular experience. They have your application for that and they have spent plenty of time reviewing it before you get there (hence the invite). If they want to know about your EC's, they will ask. In the interviews I have gone to, when kids started plugging their research experience or their volunteer hours in the pharmacy they came off as fake, desperate, and flat out annoying. The interview is a chance to stand out through your interpersonal communication abilities. Be fun, be interesting, be memorable. (you can quote me on that)

Well, it depends.
You have to try your best to represent yourself as accurately as you can. If you're going into pharmacy, it's important to have interpersonal skills - use those skills during the interview. If it's a closed file interview, chances are they'll ask about your ECs, volunteer activities, etc. They asked me at LECOM, in fact, it's what we talked about for most of the interview.
My number one piece of advice would be to try your best to be yourself.

I think it is okay to mention your ECs, but don't just give a list. Say what you learned from the experience and why that would help you be a successful pharmacy student.

I agree, the interview isn't really the place for socializing. If something the interviewer says is of interest to you, then it is definitely okay to ask them more about it. But don't feel like you have to be the social butterfly to impress them. If you are at an interview where you get shown around the school, you can always make small talk. Probably what you want to focus on is getting to know about the school, so come up with some questions there. The tours are typically student lead, so think about what you want to know from them.

Is this question in response to Mercer's interview process?

I'm not saying that you should list every single EC, but you should definitely prepare to give them some "real life experiences" that is outside of the classroom. These could be inside or outside of the pharmacy. Chances are, they will likely ask, and you should try to sell yourself as a rounded and balanced individual.

For me, I usually participate in small talk before the interview if we're waiting to start and also afterwards during the question period (ie. I'm looking to move here and I'm wondering where are good places to live/is there rugby around here, etc). Just to show I'm sociable and can handle stressful situations with a grin on my face :). But I make sure I don't take over the interview period with my banter. UMKC had a greet night before the interview where you actually interact socially with potential interviewers.

An interview is not exactly a social event. They ask questions, and you are to answer them. You have to be coherent, appropriate, and yes, you do have to sell yourself a bit, so you should be prepared to plug in some of your accomplishments (volunteer work, or any pharmacy experience) while answering the questions.

You may also want to prepare a few questions to ask the interviewers.

When interviewers ask "Do you have any questions for me/us?", they are not asking that just to be "nice" and answer any questions you "may" have.

They EXPECT you to have questions prepared inquiring about their school. Having questions prepared in advance makes you appear well-researched, prepared, and excited about their program.

This goes the same for any job interview.