Army Sociopathic?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

HighPriest

Specialized in diseases of the head holes
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So here's a story about a fictional character, certainly not myself, in a fictional world (certainly not Army Medicine):

In this purely fictional world there's a man, lets call him "SchminSchmeki" who is in charge of a federal hospital system designed to take care of soldiers after they retire from being soldiers. He gets in a little trouble because under his watch it is discovered that the wait times for care are so long that they may be detrimental to patient care. Worse yet, some of his employees may have been keeping a false record of patient appointments, wherein the official record understates the wait times. This causes somewhat of an uproar, and reasonably so.

In this same purely fictional world, there is another federally operated healthcare system that takes care of soldiers before they retire. They hear the ruckus about ShcminSchmeki, and decide that they ought to be sure to not make the same mistakes that he has. We can all agree that this concern makes sense. So the people in charge of this other, completely fictional, system decide to take action. They analyze the situation and.....

Their recommendation is that no clinic in their system should have a list of patients of any kind.

Now...

I'm not a psychiatrist, but this seems like a lack of insight into the problem - and of the social norm that has been transgressed - to such a great extent that it seems sociopathic.

It's like a serial killer trying to figure out why you're so upset about his murdering kittens. He can't understand the fundamental problem, and so he assumes you're upset about the fact that he used your kitchen knife to do the murdering. "Sorry. Next time I won't use the kitchen knife....."

The problem, which I hope is plain to see, isn't the list. It's the detrimental wait times caused by understaffing, underfunding, and poor management.

Or am I the crazy one? I'm beginning to lose perspective......

Members don't see this ad.

This is why single provider is such a mess. If those soldiers were simply provided good insurance policies instead of access to VA care, they could be out looking for physicians that didn't have a 6month wait and they would have their care.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
your fictional world is about to have bigger issues than patient lists once the new york times rains down whatever bombs they've dug up.

but to answer your questions-- it falls under the "if you don't take a temperature, you won't find a fever" mantra.

--your friendly neighborhood we're all going to be in for a ****-ton more mandatory training caveman

Reactions: 1 user
What if lets say a serial killer got upset with a kitten killer for killing kittens? That i could see. Or that some care is still better than none?

I like the original post - my VA experience was just so lovely, idk how many "missed" appointments this aggressive type A personality had and i saved my letters from them.

I better stop, the VA is the one topic where i.....

What if lets say a serial killer got upset with a kitten killer for killing kittens? That i could see. Or that some care is still better than none?

I like the original post - my VA experience was just so lovely, idk how many "missed" appointments this aggressive type A personality had and i saved my letters from them.

I better stop, the VA is the one topic where i.....

I think MEDCOM ought to change their motto to "some care is better than none."

Haha totally - yet I prefer "Indecision may or may not be our problem!"

Then again - im just some lowly "dude" level medical officer that made Major BZ confirming that lack of decision actually works