Sodium thiopental recovery?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Separate (just curious) question - I know the history of Thiopental and all, but why hasn't any domestic companies picked up production? Or literally anyone other than Italy? People seem to really like the med and a producer/supplier might be able to sell it for relatively big bucks.

This holds true for just about all other drugs that go on shortage too, but sorta a separate discussion.

im nit sure why anyone other than Hospira couldnt make it(probably patent issues or legalese) but they were adamant against it being used for executions so they stopped making it and refused to export it

Members don't see this ad.

Is propofol that expensive? I'm ignorant when it comes to prices, but I'd like to think sevo is more expensive than propofol. You should be thanked (maybe?)!
i dont think its terrible expensive but i believe it’s cheaper than sevo

Anticholinesterase side-effects
The increase in Ach concentration induced by an anticholinesterase is not limited to the NMJ, but also occurs at muscarinic sites where Ach is the neurotransmitter. Muscarinic side-effects of anticholinesterases include nausea and vomiting, bradycardia and prolongation of the QT interval of the electrocardiograph (ECG),54bronchoconstriction,101 stimulation of salivary glands,22 miosis, and increased intestinal tone

But I will agree with you that the incidence of PONV with reversal is controversial. It is however my opinion that the less medications given to a pt the better they tend to do. Subjective maybe.

Does Neostigmine Administration Produce a Clinically Important Increase in Postoperative Nausea and Vomiting?

Members don't see this ad :)
Separate (just curious) question - I know the history of Thiopental and all, but why hasn't any domestic companies picked up production? Or literally anyone other than Italy? People seem to really like the med and a producer/supplier might be able to sell it for relatively big bucks.

This holds true for just about all other drugs that go on shortage too, but sorta a separate discussion.

Even for generics drugs with fda approval, the process of getting a manufacturing plant up to spec, passing inspections, and possibly having to run further equivalency trials is an expensive nightmare.

im nit sure why anyone other than Hospira couldnt make it(probably patent issues or legalese) but they were adamant against it being used for executions so they stopped making it and refused to export it

I wonder if the execution issue wasn't just a red herring for ending the export of STP. People just stopped using it pretty much over night once diprivan entered the market. The EU made that gesture as a protest against the US capital punishment policy, but if there were no such thing as propofol, they wouldn't have been so bold.

Interestingly, STP for euthanasia in the EU is not problematic.

Reactions: 1 user
I wonder if the execution issue wasn't just a red herring for ending the export of STP. People just stopped using it pretty much over night once diprivan entered the market. The EU made that gesture as a protest against the US capital punishment policy, but if there were no such thing as propofol, they wouldn't have been so bold.

Interestingly, STP for euthanasia in the EU is not problematic.

Most of these drugs are made in Europe so basically anytime the dept of corrections wants to use something else, the EU either bans export or threatens to. It happened with propofol as well. Missouri wanted to use it and when the manufacturer found out they threatened to stop exporting it which would've been a crisis in this country had they done so.

This could be a totally false conclusion but I'm gonna roll with it, but if we didn't have the death penalty we'd probably still have thiopental in this country for medical use.

we still have it, but it hardly ever gets used. only a matter of time till it disappears due to economics