Soft tissue resource

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Brahms00

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know of any good alternatives to the Weiss ST book? It's a great book, but currently running at ~$350 on amazon, which is 1/3rd of my book fund. I looked at the foundations series ST book, but it seems incomplete... any thoughts? Or suck it up and spend the $350?

Members don't see this ad.

Miettinen's book is awesome. Personally, I like it better that E&W (I have both). It's ~$275

Personally, I like it better that E&W (I have both).

Blasphemy! Just kidding. ;-) Actually, I haven't checked out Miettinen's book but perhaps I should. Obviously, I am biased, but I love the Weiss book and regard it as an extensive and definitive text on soft tissue. Sometimes you can get it used on Amazon for cheap; mine was about $225, I believe. The next edition of her book won't be out for at least a couple of years still, so it is a good investment.

I think the best bang for your buck is the WHO Soft Tissue book (http://www.amazon.com/Pathology-Gen...=sr_1_4?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1311300099&sr=1-4). At about $100, it is thorough enough to accurately classify most soft tissue tumors and has nice pictures, as well. Folpe also has a text which I own but have not had the chance to explore much, so I can't really comment on it.

Members don't see this ad :)
Not sure of price, but I have briefly used the soft tissue volume in the new Amirsys Diagnostic Pathology series. It is quite sleek and good.

Thanks for all the recommendations. I actually hadn't heard of the Miettinen book before, and it's only ~$220 on amazon... I might have to check it out. The Amirsys is ~$250 on amazon too... decisions, decisions :)

As a resident, it's always worth a try to get a new text for the departmental library. If nothing else you can check them out enough to decide if it's worth getting for yourself. I always thought it a good idea to have a small departmental library book fund which residents could have a hand in updating.

If your med school library is close by (and there isn't already one in the departmental library, obviously) can always try to check these texts out there. Of course even the good libraries often don't have subspecialty pathology texts, especially current editions, so that may be fruitless.

Blasphemy!

You're probably contractually obligated to pimp E&W if you're at Emory.

If you do buy the Miettinen, you have to pronounce sarcoma as 'Saaaarrrrrrk-oh-mah' which is apparently how the Finnish pronounce it. LOL that guy is awesome. (At the NIH now after the AFIP imploded fwiw).

I have lookd at the Miettinnen book and was very favorably impressed. I work with a former fellow of his and he loves the book.

Folpe and Inwards have a text in the Foundations series which is much cheaper (~$160) and is mostly comprehensive. For someone not smitten with a love of BST, it does the job.