Necrotic tissue colour change

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dinksh

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm not sure which section would be the most suitable for this question, but let it be.

I have an assignment to find out EXACTLY WHY (with biochemical basis) necrotic tissue turns black. Unfortunately after spending lots of time on the internet I'm still at my starting point without no clue at all.

Maybe you guys can give me some ideas, research papers, books etc with this information?

Thanks! :)

Members don't see this ad.

Necrosis is a process of de and subsequent re melancytopigmentosis. The process begins as melanocytes are harvested from "nocturnal" ovipocytes. They are subsequently re-entered into a biologic field of reactivity and after deoxygenation, the melanopignemtophages are reabsorbed (again, somewhat nocturnally, but also bi-modally). This in turns leads to the "black" pigments in necrosis.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I would say, actually, that most necrotic tissue is not black (at least not most necrotic tissue encountered in the practice of surgical pathology). In cases in which it is black (I'm thinking of skin/subcutaneous wound with open, necrotic centers, exposed muscle and fascia with necrotizing fasciitis, etc.) I would venture to guess that the apparent blackness it at least partially related to the desiccated/dehydrated state of the tissue. But . . . who really knows.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Many kinds of necrosis. Coagulative, liquifactive, etc. look at Robbins. They all look different.

I have an assignment to find out EXACTLY WHY (with biochemical basis) necrotic tissue turns black.

Necrotic tissue in a sterile environment is pale cream colored. Ischemia + bacterial proliferation causes gangrenous necrosis (aka gangrene). In this setting the necrotic tissue is darkly colored/black. Read this: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gangrene

How do bacteria make the tissue turn black? It's due to the formation of molecules like iron sulfide. The iron comes from the breakdown of hemoglobin and the sulfur is from hydrogen sulfide produced by organisms like clostridium perfringens.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users