Solenoid & Right Hand Rule

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MedPR

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Can someone tell me what direction my thumb and fingers should point when answering this question?

I'm not understanding what the arrows mean in relation to into and out of the page in the answers. I understand that if the field is going into the page on the right, and out of the page on the left, and it is wrapping around the field within the solenoid (since the coils make a circle), but what do the arrows in the answer represent?

Thanks!

AYPka.gif

Members don't see this ad.

58Kqx.png

Bfield is going up. Assuming the current is going up and clockwise. Kinda hard to tell.

Imagine an isolated portion of the solenoid. This portion is going INTO the plane of the screen and is on the right side of the solenoid. Thumb points inward. Fingers are looped upwards. Now trace this portion into a circle like a solenoid. All going the same direction!

But at the top of the solenoid it shows the current arrow pointing downward.. And if you point your thumb downward, you end up with answer D.

Edit: Oh wait, no you don't.

Ok so the arrows indicate the direction of the current?

And how do you know that the bottom is the south pole and the top is the north pole (besides normal convention that north is up and south is down)?

that's the confusing part. there are arrows going both ways, if i'm seeing it correctly. The arrows SHOULD indicate the direction of current. I think the image has a mistake due to this arrow thing.

I didn't use N or S pole. Just the right hand rule for currents. Are you familiar with that? ie using right hand rule for ampere's law

Members don't see this ad :)
that's the confusing part. there are arrows going both ways, if i'm seeing it correctly. The arrows SHOULD indicate the direction of current. I think the image has a mistake due to this arrow thing.

I didn't use N or S pole. Just the right hand rule for currents. Are you familiar with that? ie using right hand rule for ampere's law

Yea, I can see how the current would be pointing down if the magnetic field is in the direction indicated in answer C.

I was asking about N/S pole because the wikipremed guy (John?) says you know which pole is which but doesn't really explain how.

Oh. Because N pole has Bfield lines going to the S pole. Just like how the positive node of an Efield has lines going to the negative node, N goes to S.

So here N is at the bottom and S is at the top.