Soliciting feedback/career satisfaction info from current PIC's c Publix

Started by Me+PharmD
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Me+PharmD

Full Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I'm currently a PIC with a major retail pharmacy being recruited for a Pharmacy Manager position with Publix. I'd like to get feedback from current Publix PIC's/Staff RPh's regarding work environment, tech/script ratios, pros/cons of computer system, satisfaction with employee benefits and any other negative/positive information that would be pertinent to know in order to assist with a major career transition. It's been about 4 years since I've used this forum, but I'm hoping there's still good information that can be relayed. Thanks.
 
I've heard great things about Publix. After searching for months, I finally found an open position as a FT floater and interviewed and got the job! I've wanted to work for them for years...

I had been a pharmacist with CVS for just over a year and an intern with them for three... I just thought the company was headed in the wrong direction and cared very little about its employees. From what I hear about Publix, it is the opposite. They have a pretty sweet profit sharing program where you get a certain amount of shares after working with them for a year, and you get a check every year reflecting the growth of the stocks (ie, the company) which, over years, can be pretty sizeble. Their 401k sucks, though. 50 cents on the dollar up to $750/year. That's like a day and half's work. Blah, But everything else seems pretty awesome as far as job satisfaction, hours, holidays off, holiday pay and bonus pay.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Publix >>>> anything else

Assuming 7% return for 30 years on 401k matching:
- Publix $750/year grows into $75k
- Other companies with 5% match - $6000/year match grows into $600k

Years to accumulate $600k after tax if you try to save it your self = 10 years additional work.

Which one do you value the most? Work environment or 10 years worth of money? Only you can answer the question...
 
Lets give publix the benefit of the doubt, their profit sharing can be very good, so post what you get. A local company here only matches $300 a year but they still get a pension so it evens out.
 
My preceptor when I had a rotation at Publix said they got about 10% in addition to their salary in company stock each year, which I thought was a pretty sweet deal. I mean, single share stock is not a good idea investment wise, but in this case it's free money!
 
Assuming 7% return for 30 years on 401k matching:
- Publix $750/year grows into $75k
- Other companies with 5% match - $6000/year match grows into $600k

Years to accumulate $600k after tax if you try to save it your self = 10 years additional work.

Which one do you value the most? Work environment or 10 years worth of money? Only you can answer the question...

1) Publix profit plan (Collect publix shares based on SALARY and get to cash them out when you retire) Please note a BAGGER for 25 YEARS cashed out with 50k ( not 150 *typo*) awhile back:laugh::laugh:

2) less stress than WAGS,CVS, Wally world = better health and state of mind..

3) Fresh food for lunch whenever instead of junk at CVS and WAGS

4)True we get paid less 5-15k less. But really what can you buy that I can't buy as a pharmacist? :laugh:

5) I always leave on time 😍
 
Last edited: