Solid Private (semi- community) Programs

Started by makatak
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Not at all a representative list, but ...

Virginia Mason (Seattle)
Carolinas Medical Center (Charlotte)
Scott & White (Temple, TX - semi-academic

This topic comes up occasionally. try a search for more suggestions
 
I'm biased to the midwest/south region but have a little experience with a few others. This list is in no particular order and is strictly my opinion of the programs which provide you with top to bottom good general surgery training without compromising if you want to do a fellowship.

Texas A&M Scott & White
Baylor in Dallas
Iowa Methodist
Exempla in Denver
Univ. of Kansas-Wichita
Virginia Mason in Seattle
Carolinas in Charlotte
Some place in Pittsburgh but I forgot the name

These are places I either have a friend at, have experience with, or know of attendings/recent grads from the programs. Some of these programs are university related which has plus/minuses but I think all will provide a very strong general surgery foundation are are good building blocks for fellowships.