Soloxine vs. levothyroxine equivalency for dogs

Started by deleted205891
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

D

deleted205891

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Saw a vet thread, so this came to mind:

Since I see my dog's vet always giving him soloxine (brand for levothyroxine), and since I assume that it's more expensive than the generic, I'm just wondering what kind of studies are available on equivalency, comparison of side effects, etc...I know that many human pts. go for the brand synthroid instead of the generic because of side effects, so I'm wondering if there are any data on generic equivalency for dogs.
 
How would you measure self reported side effects in dogs?

"Did you experience reduced heat tolerance, anxiety, headache, or change in personality?"

"woof"
 
It's an instant release medication. The chances of the tabs containing a dissimilar amount of drug are remote. However, I'd keep with what the vet is giving you. Dogs usually take about 1mg of thyroxine a day. Unless things have changed since I had to give my old dog the stuff, there isn't really a generic available. (Maybe it has, I dunno) But that's five 200mg Synthroid. I wouldn't try to get a dogs to eat 5 tabs every day.
 
It's an instant release medication. The chances of the tabs containing a dissimilar amount of drug are remote. However, I'd keep with what the vet is giving you. Dogs usually take about 1mg of thyroxine a day. Unless things have changed since I had to give my old dog the stuff, there isn't really a generic available. (Maybe it has, I dunno) But that's five 200mg Synthroid. I wouldn't try to get a dogs to eat 5 tabs every day.

OK thanks.