Non Bio majors using EK review and TBR passages

Started by HotHamH2O
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

HotHamH2O

Turn on the fire hose and open wide!
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Any non-bio majors using SN2ed schedule have trouble using EK bio for review and doing TBR with passages? I am looking for some help and suggestions. EK does not seem to be working well. I picked up TPR review and workbook for bio. Any of you find these more helpful? Should I just read through TBR bio for content review since I'm not a bio major. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
 
Neither EK nor TPR is sufficient content-wise for TBR passages. This speaks only to the absurd level of difficulty of TBR's passages and does not mean that EK/TPR isn't enough for AAMCs.

Edit: this is just for biology. The other subjects are fine.
 
Neither EK nor TPR is sufficient content-wise for TBR passages. This speaks only to the absurd level of difficulty of TBR's passages and does not mean that EK/TPR isn't enough for AAMCs.

Edit: this is just for biology. The other subjects are fine.

Agreed- Their section's never seem to correlate with what the passages test. I typically have to rely on memory recall and hints/details from the passage to get stuff right. That being said, if you find EK Bio insufficient use TBR instead. They go into quite a bit of useless detail but thats okay, its better to know more than less
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Non-bio major (Nutritional Sciences), and I think EK is complete trash. I also think TBR is excessively hard for bio passages (but still good practice).
 
What did you end up deciding?

I just did the TBR bio passages today after reading the TPR/EK bio chapter. I'm incredibly depressed right now. TBR passages seem impossible for me, despite having no issues with the content review. I need to figure something out real quick.
 
What did you end up deciding?

I just did the TBR bio passages today after reading the TPR/EK bio chapter. I'm incredibly depressed right now. TBR passages seem impossible for me, despite having no issues with the content review. I need to figure something out real quick.

If you are getting above 50%, you are ok so far...More accuracy will come with time...TBR bio is hard even for people who are bio major.
 
Last edited:
If you are getting above 50%, you are ok so far...More accuracy will come with time...TBR bio is hard even for people who are bio major.

Agree with this. I'm a bio major and when I first started some of the passages were even difficult for me :scared:

Just keep at it though, I just took the end of book test and got 47/52. When I first started i would get like 60-75% and feel bad too. The questions obviously don't get easier but you pick up random information along the way and learn how to tackle AAMC/BR type questions
 
Agree with this. I'm a bio major and when I first started some of the passages were even difficult for me :scared:

Just keep at it though, I just took the end of book test and got 47/52. When I first started i would get like 60-75% and feel bad too. The questions obviously don't get easier but you pick up random information along the way and learn how to tackle AAMC/BR type questions

Great score...