Solubility Rules

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

stanford05

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I hope the studying is going well, I was wondering what you people thought about memorizing solubility rules for gen chem... which ones, if any, are important?

Also, do you think it'd be worth it to buy 5R and 6R off ebay when I already have access to 5 and 6?

Thanks...

Members don't see this ad.

You should know salt solubility rules - basically that group I and group IIs are soluble, as well as ammonium. You should also know that Hg, Pb, and Ag aren't soluble unless they are perchlorates, nitrates, or acetates. Oh, and you should also know the general phase solubility rules - like solids tend to increase their solubility as temp increases, that gases tend to decrease their solubility as temp increases, and that gases tend to increase their solubility as pressure increases.

Along with that, you should understand Ksp and whether more salt will dissolve in a solution and what type of solution will form when a salt dissolves (acidic, basic, or neutral). Basically, if the cation is a group I or group II cation it's not going to react with water and an anion that's the conjugate base of a weak acid will react with water. If the cation reacts with water, the solution is acidic. If the anion reacts with water, the solution is basic. If they both can react look at the Ka/Kb values, and if neither the cation or anion can react it's neutral.