Solution Manual

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FutureSurg2019

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone have/ or know where I could get a TEACHERS solution manual for Physics for Scientists and Engineers, by Serway and Jewett, 6th edition? The student manual only covers a few select problems per chapter. It's hard for me to learn the material when I don't know how to arrive at an answer.

Members don't see this ad.

You should change your screen name to Saran Wrap. You're transparent.

You should change your screen name to Saran Wrap. You're transparent.
Thank you. I was thinking the same thing.

To the OP, just order the damn book from the publisher. By the way, good luck on the MCAT :laugh:

Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone have/ or know where I could get a TEACHERS solution manual for Physics for Scientists and Engineers, by Serway and Jewett, 6th edition? The student manual only covers a few select problems per chapter. It's hard for me to learn the material when I don't know how to arrive at an answer.

Ebay maybe? I have no idea if this book even exists. Unlike at the high school level and below, college professors are expected to actually know the material they teach. That said, the book may exist for grading purposes.

At any rate, you're not going to learn a damn thing by copying answers from a manual, or following a step by step for each problem. This isn't bio, you don't just memorize things, you have to learn to THINK about the problems, analyze them, formulate a plan of attack, and SOLVE the problem. You learn to do this by practicing lots of problems, and attempting to solve them each WITHOUT a step by step or even a general guide. If it takes you an hour to solve a single problem, then that's how long it takes. The only way to learn is to put the time in. There's a reason engineering classes typically assign something like 6-9 problems per WEEK to solve... you're expected to spend significant time sweating them out. Well physics is the same way. Put your nose to the grindstone, and good luck!

If I wanted a buch of smart ass remarks I wouldn't have posted this thread. People post threads, generally, for help, not ridicule. I'm not a cheater, nor have I ever been one. I can easily get all the h/w answers from our T.A. How can you solve a problem, when you don't know what to do? I always try to solve a problem first on my own, but if that doesn't work, than what am I supposed to do? Move on, and hope I figure it out later? I need a solutions manual to help me when I get stuck and have no where to go. I know how to study, so far I have a 4.0 in all of my science classes (gen chem, gen bio, and calculus 1, 2, 3). I'm approaching math the same way that I'm approaching physics. Work problem after problem and try to test myself with new problems, that require new strategies. Just like in math, I need help to solve these new problems, and I can only learn by seeing the correct path to take, and then reworking this path on my own until it sticks. Also, how do I know if I have the correct answer to the evens? Their answers aren't listed in the back of the book, and thus, you can try and solve a problem, but you will never know if you have the right strategy, or if you even solved the problem correctly. So in the future, please don't reply to my threads if you're just going to be an ass. :)

I'm not a cheater

I call bull****. If you really wanted to get extra problems you could just find a different textbook, rather than the ANSWERS to the one you use in class.

So in the future, please don't reply to my threads if you're just going to be an ass.

Sorry, request denied. :laugh: So in the future, if you don't want us to smurf you everytime you try to get us to help you cheat, don't post threads like this.

Whatever. I don't need to justify anything to you. I'll let you know how I do on the MCAT next summer.

ebay is a good bet. or ask your college bookstore. for all of the calculus classes at my university, they sold packages that included the solutions manual. the manuals usually explained how the problem was worked out which was helpful. good luck!

what's with all the snide remarks....

anywho, i had the solutions manual to my physics book back in physics 101/102... i turned out fine for my mcat :cool:

i'd try to ask students that took the class last semester.... they might know where.

Sheez, ppl, cut the kid some slack.

I use a solutions manual as well when needed. It's a great resource for tips on how to do a problem when needed or to check your answer to see if you got it correct. I highly doubt his physics class collects the homework problems anyway. I've never had graded problem sets.

This forum has a case of the Mondays.

Seriously, my physics class had online problem sets, so having the solutions manual to the textbook would have been useless for cheating.

maybe the kid is trying to learn something. geez.

If I wanted a buch of smart ass remarks I wouldn't have posted this thread. People post threads, generally, for help, not ridicule. I'm not a cheater, nor have I ever been one. I can easily get all the h/w answers from our T.A. How can you solve a problem, when you don't know what to do? I always try to solve a problem first on my own, but if that doesn't work, than what am I supposed to do? Move on, and hope I figure it out later? I need a solutions manual to help me when I get stuck and have no where to go. I know how to study, so far I have a 4.0 in all of my science classes (gen chem, gen bio, and calculus 1, 2, 3). I'm approaching math the same way that I'm approaching physics. Work problem after problem and try to test myself with new problems, that require new strategies. Just like in math, I need help to solve these new problems, and I can only learn by seeing the correct path to take, and then reworking this path on my own until it sticks. Also, how do I know if I have the correct answer to the evens? Their answers aren't listed in the back of the book, and thus, you can try and solve a problem, but you will never know if you have the right strategy, or if you even solved the problem correctly. So in the future, please don't reply to my threads if you're just going to be an ass. :)

'twasn't calling you a cheater, I just wanted to make sure you understand that recopying a solution manual or following instructions step by step won't necessarily teach you how to think about the problems. If I was being a smartass I wouldn't have recommended looking at ebay. I used a solution manual frequently in organic chemistry to help clarify what was going on (ungraded problems, of course). Just make sure you're spending lots of time struggling with them before opening the book. It's easy to fall into the trap of looking it up immediately if you don't know what to do when you have that resource.

BTW, serway's a good book. Make sure you're looking at the example problems throughout the chapter as well, they're a good resource for seeing new strategies.