Some Advice for PT schools...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

HelpNPT

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm looking into PT school and after reviewing some PT programs. I noticed some interesting information such as can't graduate unless have 3.00 GPA can't get lower than a 3.00 GPA in the program. I'm not the most school oriented person but I know I can pass but not sure above 3.00 GPA.

- BS in Kinesiology
- 2.5 GPA
- 2+ years of experience working at a Physical Therapy Clinic

I know I can get it done but the GPA is making my decision if it's even worth it. Can someone please clarify information about PT programs? What can you advise me?

Thank you for your help.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm looking into PT school and after reviewing some PT programs. I noticed some interesting information such as can't graduate unless have 3.00 GPA can't get lower than a 3.00 GPA in the program. I'm not the most school oriented person but I know I can pass but not sure above 3.00 GPA.

- BS in Kinesiology
- 2.5 GPA
- 2+ years of experience working at a Physical Therapy Clinic

I know I can get it done but the GPA is making my decision if it's even worth it. Can someone please clarify information about PT programs? What can you advise me?

Thank you for your help.

Interesting, I have heard some similar things. I think USA (st. augustine) has details like that. I will keep checking this topic to see what information is posted though.

I noticed some interesting information such as can't graduate unless have 3.00 GPA can't get lower than a 3.00 GPA in the program.

It's a standard for all graduate work: you must keep your GPA above 3.0. When I did graduate work, yes even in Dance, they considered anything below a solid B as failing. In fact, B's were frowned upon. I had a 3.0 my first semester and was warned that I'd be canned if I didn't bring up my GPA. In the end, we all have to pass a licensing exam in order to practice PT, if one got below a 3.0, I doubt they'd pass the exam. So the minimum GPA is important and not something random that programs do just to make student's lives more difficult.

That said, it shouldn't keep you for pursuing PT!! What you need to do is find a way to study effectively and find a program that is supportive in terms of tutoring, etc. I would also recommend repeating any/all prereqs lower than a solid B to bring up your undergrad GPA. This will help give you a stronger base and increase your chances getting in to school. A 2.5 probably won't cut it, unless you have something really outstanding to make you jump out of the crowd.

If you want it bad enough, do it and give it your all! :) If not, consider other fields such as personal trainer, research, etc. That way, you can use your kinesiology background and still be in a rewarding field. Best of luck with everything!

Last edited: