gator2886

15+ Year Member
Nov 20, 2002
Visit site
Status
I am a 4th year student. I have applied to categorical medicine and I am sure to match. However, I did a late rotation in Anesthesia and loved it. In short, I want to do that instead. There is no Anesthesia program where I matched into medicine. Would I be better off "scrambling" into a program next week, trying to count my IM year as prelim OR would I be better off waiting and applying next year in the hopes that there are some PGY2 (year one ANESTHESIA) posisitions open.

I would appreciate some feedback, especially those with first hand info on changing paths.

Thanks

timtye78

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Oct 22, 2003
Visit site
Status
Attending Physician
gator2886 said:
I am a 4th year student. I have applied to categorical medicine and I am sure to match. However, I did a late rotation in Anesthesia and loved it. In short, I want to do that instead. There is no Anesthesia program where I matched into medicine. Would I be better off "scrambling" into a program next week, trying to count my IM year as prelim OR would I be better off waiting and applying next year in the hopes that there are some PGY2 (year one ANESTHESIA) posisitions open.

I would appreciate some feedback, especially those with first hand info on changing paths.

Thanks
I think you could go either way. If it were me I think I would attempt to scramble into a categorical year if possible, and you would have less say-so in the scramble as far as geographic locations were concerned. That being said, if you decide to just go ahead and do your prelim year wherever you matched, and apply next year, then you may have more choice in the matter of where you train in anesthesia.

Good luck!