Some advice would be appreciated

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JW125

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just finished my 1st semester Senior year and my GPA is a little on the low side. I have a 3.3 GPA and a Sci GPA of 3.1 and with my credits next semester i will be at 143 credits overall. I have taken no less than 17 credits a semester and did two summers of 8 credits. Even though my GPA is low it is all because of my freshman year. Since My freshman year my overall GPA has been a 3.6 and my Sci GPA a 3.7. My MCAT score was a 30O (12 VR, 10 BS, 8 PS).
My ECs include Community service mentoring elementary school kids, shadowing, being a CLA (which is almost like a TA in my school) for pathophysiology and pharmacology, working in a cardiac rehab setting for a little, and will possibly be working full time in clinical research next semester.

Do I have any shot at an MD school since my gpa is so low? Also what can I do to help improve my chances? I don't think a postbacc would really help me pick up my GPA since i have so many credits already

Members don't see this ad.

take(16 -20 credits) of science courses and get all As

get a higher mcat score since it will significantly boost your chances to get into med school

You did ok , but you can prob do better

The only thing im worried about taking the MCAT again is I don't know if i can do better in the Verbal or PS. I am absolutely terrible at math which is what is keeping my PS score down. I Don't want to risk having a lower VR score and potentially increasing my PS by a point which would still only be an average score. I am also taking extra upper level science classes next semester. I have As in Orgo 1 & 2 Biochem, Pathophysiology and few other upper levels since my freshman year

Members don't see this ad :)
I can't say for sure, but I think it might be okay. Especially since you have had a strong upward trend in your grades.

AMCAS makes its own GPA for you and it gives a higher weight to the classes you take later on (a type of freshman-transition forgiveness). I like using this: honors.usf.edu/Documents/AMCASGPA_Calculator.xls. Try putting your grades into that and see what you get.

One thing I would be worried about is your 8 on the PS section of the MCAT. That is just above the cut off for many schools and might be a little of a red flag for MD schools. If you are considering DO as an option as well, you'll get in somewhere.

AMCAS makes its own GPA for you and it gives a higher weight to the classes you take later on (a type of freshman-transition forgiveness).
Actually, AMCAS doesn't change the weight of various years, but individual med schools DO have different formulas for assessing applicants, and some of them give less weight to freshman year, some give more weight to the later years, and some will drop out a bad semester completely. Unfortunately, most don't advertise their "formula" so you are stuck with applying broadly in an attempt to hit the ones that will give you the best chance.

Also what can I do to help improve my chances?
You might look into doing a Special Masters Program, where a high GPA can override a low undergrad GPA. See SDN's Postbaccalaureate Programs Forum for info.

I would highly recommend taking a prep course and retaking the MCAT to try to boost that PS score. I personally took Kaplan and was able to get a double digit PS score even though I haven't taken a physics class in close to 5 years, so I think the content they teach is very helpful. Also, I have several friends who had 30+ MCAT scores with competitive GPAs but were unable to get into any MD med school due to an 8 in a specific section of their MCAT, so you really want to get rid of that red flag if you can.