Some Advice?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

neurology md

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am currently a junior undergrad. Unfortunately, I got started relatively late in wanting to be a doctor and was not initially prepared for college, causing my freshman grades to suffer. However, my grades since then have been better. As it stands, I am likely to graduate with about a 3.6 cgpa and 3.5 sgpa. I have a summer of research experience in bioinformatics and will probably continue that this upcoming summer. I have not yet taken the MCAT, but I know I'll need a very high score to be competitive. I would just like to know what MD programs I have a decent shot at given my relatively low gpas.

Also, I am a North Carolina resident and I am interested in the UNC-Chapel Hill program but cannot find consistent statistics as to the average grades of their matriculants. I would really appreciate any help in this.

Members don't see this ad.

Well, for the in-state schools here are some numbers:

UNC
MCAT: 32.58
cGPA: 3.62
sGPA: 3.55
In-state interviewed: 533/941 (57%, huge plus)

East Carolina
MCAT: 29.8
cGPA: 3.6
Only accepts in-state applicants (huge plus)

Wake Forest
MCAT: 31.5
cGPA: 3.58
Private school, no in-state advantage

Duke
MCAT: 34.5
cGPA: 3.74
Private school, no in-state advantage

Aside from that, you should be competitive for some middle tier MD schools if you score => 31 on your MCAT and keep up with your extracurriculars. (Your numbers are a bit low for both research and clinical)

When you are ready to apply, I would highly recommend purchasing a copy of the MSAR, it has summaries of admissions statistics for every MD school in the country. Good luck!

Your projected GPAs will be below the average for those accepted to MD schools of 3.67 cGPA/3.61 BCPM, so if you could manage a compensatory MCAT score above the average of 31.1, that will be helpful. The higher your score, the more screening cutoffs you'll get past.

Aside from stats though, you need to develop the usual and customary ECs, strategize to get strong Letters of Recommendation, write a compelling Personal Statement, and interview well.

Once you have an MCAT score, we can help you OOS with school suggestions.