Some basic reapplication questions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DD214_DOC

20+ Year Member
Reaction score
This is only specific to DO schools; I'm not a reapplicant for MD.

#1: Do I have to secure entirely new letters, even from a DO?

#2: How do schools take a second MCAT into account? Do MD schools average, and DO schools take the highest of each section?

#3: Is being a reapplicant really a benefit? It seems like if schools didn't think you belonged there last year, I don't see a reason why they'd change their minds. (Inconsistency is one of the pillars of bull****)

#4: Do I have to mark, "reapplicant" on everything, or just to schools I applied to this year?

Members don't see this ad.

JKDMed said:
#1: Do I have to secure entirely new letters, even from a DO?

I would submit one additional letter that reflects something you did since your last application to medical school. As far as the other letters go, ask your premed advisor if he thinks you need new letters, or whether he feels the quality of your other letters is adequate.

JKDMed said:
#2: How do schools take a second MCAT into account? Do MD schools average, and DO schools take the highest of each section?

Each school does something different. I'm a student member of our admissions committee, and we tend to take the highest from each section.

JKDMed said:
#3: Is being a reapplicant really a benefit? It seems like if schools didn't think you belonged there last year, I don't see a reason why they'd change their minds. (Inconsistency is one of the pillars of bull****)

This is true, unless you've done something to improve yourself before reapplying such as getting a better MCAT score, more clinical exposure, taking more courses, completing a graduate degree, etc. Many MD programs won't consider a reapplicant unless they can explain on their secondary application the things they've done to improve themselves since their last application.

There really doesn't seem to be much I can do. My grades have improved since I applied. I'll definitely get a higher MCAT. But I really can't get more volunteer/clinical stuff because I'll be working.

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't know what your work shedule is like, but a four hours on a Saturday should be sufficient.

Schedule a meeting with the adcoms. Find out what they think is lacking in your application.

2tall said:
I don't know what your work shedule is like, but a four hours on a Saturday should be sufficient.

Schedule a meeting with the adcoms. Find out what they think is lacking in your application.

I have tried at both schools. Nobody will tell me anything.

1. New letters may not be necessary. Keep in touch with your letter writers. Send updates/e-mails to them, etc. Build relationships. Updating the dates should suffice. Perhaps they'll have more to add about your character next time.

3. Reapplicants shows adcoms tenacity. But the key is to improve your application for the next cycle. I first applied two years ago. A lot has changed since then. I feel like a new applicant and I think my applications show that.

4. You make REAPPLICANT sound like the scarlet letter! Let me think. The school I guess I "officially" reapplied to - only one - had a additional form for reapplicants. This form asked for the specifics of what I did to improve my application. Most of the others schools didn't require any notice of reapplication, though the Texas application did ask for a list of schools I had applied to.

On the day my last rejection arrived (May 1, 2003)...I was peeved, disappointed, angry (and unfortunately sober). The next day I resolved that it isn't the end of the world. Life has its obstacles. I decided to view my career in medicine as beginning on that day. No matter what I did from that day on...it was furthering my career.

Reapplicants ROCK ON!

JKDMed said:
There really doesn't seem to be much I can do. My grades have improved since I applied. I'll definitely get a higher MCAT. But I really can't get more volunteer/clinical stuff because I'll be working.

Work on your application in the EC area and get kick butt LOR's. Not just science letters, but also from a DO and anyone else who knows you well. Some schools welcome additional letters.

Don't put all your eggs in the MCAT basket. I was an MCAT retaker, studied hard the 2nd time around (hardly at all the first time) and got two points lower. The stats for doing better the second time around are not promising. You may do better, but don't assume you'll get a particular score.

By the way, don't give up hope for this year. I've been offered 5 interviews, accepted 2, and was accepted to both with almost the exact same stats as you. Got the same C in O Chem, and a D in G-chem freshman year too.

there's always hope!

JKDMed said:
I have tried at both schools. Nobody will tell me anything.

If you applied for the entering class 2005...it's still a little early to schedule those meetings. They're probably still focused on interviewing prospective candidates.

You could e-mail other schools who look for similar applicants and see what they think can improve your chances.

The people on this forum are also very helpful.

JKDMed said:

See if you can do something in the evenings: local ED, low-income clinic, after hours clinic, hospital, etc. You don't have to spend a ton of time, they just want to see that you've been out there.

I can't tell whether you applied for this cycle (Class of '09) or not.

What makes you different from the students who matriculated at X School of Medicine?

Do you have similar stats?

Did you apply to enough schools? Did you apply early?

What HAS changed since your last application?

2tall said:
What HAS changed since your last application?

I think after all is said & done; the best thing JK can say is that his recent MCAT scores reflect his true abilities. We all play the number ***** game.

Lindyhopper said:
I think after all is said & done; the best thing JK can say is that his recent MCAT scores reflect his true abilities. We all play the number ***** game.

Right. That's why my physical science GPA is a 3.7

How does one person go from saying, "So this time really show them what you can do on the MCAT." to "I think after all is said & done; the best thing JK can say is that his recent MCAT scores reflect his true abilities." in a single day? Other than someone who is just trolling around and trying to start ****.

JKDMed said:
Right. That's why my physical science GPA is a 3.7

I think I failed to make myself clear. You really seem like an intelligent guy. You also clearly have a lot of demands on your time. You probably will not be able to volunteer significant time, take some courses, work, study for the MCATs, AND spend a little time with your fiance.
Something has to give but the schools (both DO & MD) really are very stat conscious. The best thing you can say in the next cycle is that your strong April '05 scores reflect your strong abilities in the sciences.
The confusing use of "recent" in my prior post was supposed to represent your statements in the fall of '05 about your still to come stellar April scores. ;)

My apologies; I understand now. I thought you were referring to this past August's scores. Having a few rum and cokes can impair one's cognitive abilities :D

In that case, yeah I agree with you. Other than improving my MCAT, there isn't really much else I can do. If the schools just don't seem to like who I am, then I guess I won't be a doc after all.

JKDMed said:
My apologies; I understand now. I thought you were referring to this past August's scores. Having a few rum and cokes can impair one's cognitive abilities :D

In that case, yeah I agree with you. Other than improving my MCAT, there isn't really much else I can do. If the schools just don't seem to like who I am, then I guess I won't be a doc after all.

Keep Hope Alive

Don't let your grades and MCAT scores define who you are.

You can apply earlier...send more letters of interest...and start a 12-step program (j/k). I wish I had a rum and coke right now.