Some crazy note taking idea

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Golddanboy

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ok, I fit the stereotype of the doctor with the bad handwriting. I've heard basically everything from that my work looks like a drunk 5 year old to that my notes look like chickens had a wild orgy on my notebook with a bottle of ink (I have weird friends). Well I don't know if anyone else faces this problem but my notes are of almost no help to me in studying for tests.

My idea is buy a video camera and just tape record the entire lesson so everything including any slides are recorded. Anyone try anything as interesting for their studying?

Members don't see this ad.

Golddanboy said:
Ok, I fit the stereotype of the doctor with the bad handwriting. I've heard basically everything from that my work looks like a drunk 5 year old to that my notes look like chickens had a wild orgy on my notebook with a bottle of ink (I have weird friends). Well I don't know if anyone else faces this problem but my notes are of almost no help to me in studying for tests.

My idea is buy a video camera and just tape record the entire lesson so everything including any slides are recorded. Anyone try anything as interesting for their studying?

my handwriting is pretty bad- no one seems to be able to read it... but i can still normally make it out. the thing about a video camera is it would take too long to review each class. with notes, it seems like you can normally review an entire lecture in a fraction of the time it took to sit through it.

Use a laptop and type your notes. If you can't type quickly, this is the time to learn.

Members don't see this ad :)
That would only be slightly more practical than paying your professors to reenact their lectures in your home.

well, say you record 4 hours of lecture........are you really going to sit there and play, pause and rewind through a whole day's worth of crap? Ehhhhhhhhh, to each their own.

Such extremes may not be neccessary. Your school may have a note-taking service. The only drawback to this is that the notes can vary alot in quality depending on who took them. My school has the profs post their powerpoint files online for us to download and records the audio of the lecture for download too. But realistically there isn't enough time in the day after classes to go back and listen to every class again.

I predict failure in videotaping your classes and using them as your primary tool for studying. Thats like going to classTWICE IN ONE DAY. If your handwriting is so bad, why not just take a laptop and just type them out or if notes dont help at all, then why bothering going to class?

Golddanboy said:

I suggest learning to write neatly. Print if you have to. When you get to third year the attendings are gonna be reading/ grading your notes on patients.

Golddanboy said:
my notes look like chickens had a wild orgy on my notebook with a bottle of ink

That's the best description of bad handwriting I have EVER heard! :laugh:

Most docs nowadays do dictation to get away from the handwriting prob and also to integrate their history/PE notes into a central online system. At least you don't have to worry about other people reading your stuff. I hope that helps w/ future problems! (It will for me :D)

Are you saying that you can't read your own writing?

not to mention the fact that your profs might be camera-shy and not allow you to videotape them at all. i mean if i were giving some lecture i wouldn't want some guy recording me ...

Golddanboy said:

I got pretty "tough to read" writing for others, but not for myself. I can read everything I write, so that's weird that you can't read ur own writing.

Golddanboy said:

I gotta feasible suggestion for you. Camera is a waste of time, forget about it. What you can do is buy a recorder and record ur profs notes. You can even type em out by listening to the recorder. The drawback to all this is that you are really doing twice the work and its not very efficient. If you are having hell of a time reading your own notes, why not ask a friend to give you their notes.

SCREW THEM ALL

AS LONG AS I CAN READ MY OWN HANDWRITING..LIFE'S TOUGH! ;)

I guess my writing when I was in first grade was nicer than now, that's because back then, they had lines to guide you :laugh: