Some days

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Celexa

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I think of myself as pretty well-jaded at this point but some days the sheer volume of horrific things that have happened to my patients still overwhelms for a bit. On the inpatient consult side there isn't usually an indication to go deep into trauma histories, but in my outpatient gig a fuller understanding of the history is often required. Yesterday was one of those days where every patient had been through things that no human being should be subjected to.

I love my work. I say a serenity prayer when I need to and focus on the business at hand. I have wonderful colleagues to confide in. But some days are still those days where you have nothing left in the tank at the end.

Members don't see this ad.

• Care
Reactions: 14 users
You got this!!

Reactions: 1 user
I think of myself as pretty well-jaded at this point but some days the sheer volume of horrific things that have happened to my patients still overwhelms for a bit. On the inpatient consult side there isn't usually an indication to go deep into trauma histories, but in my outpatient gig a fuller understanding of the history is often required. Yesterday was one of those days where every patient had been through things that no human being should be subjected to.

I love my work. I say a serenity prayer when I need to and focus on the business at hand. I have wonderful colleagues to confide in. But some days are still those days where you have nothing left in the tank at the end.

Carl Jung — 'No tree, it is said, can grow to heaven unless its roots reach down to hell.'

• Hmm
Reactions: 8 users
Members don't see this ad :)
This is why I think personal therapy is so worthwhile for us as psychiatrists especially if you are providing therapy. We are the instrument in medicine and how we feel directly affects the quality of the care we give.

Reactions: 3 users
It can get to you, I dont care what your name is. This is the nature of this field where we deal with the aftermath of terrible ****ed up things which happen in this world to our fellow human beings. You have to protect your sanity at all costs.

1.Regular Vacations: Take regular vacations or time off to disconnect from work completely. Use this time to recharge and spend quality time with loved ones.

2.Avoid Isolation: Maintain a healthy work-life balance by staying socially connected with friends and family. Isolation can contribute to burnout, so make an effort to nurture your personal relationships.

3.Self-Care: Prioritize self-care and make it a non-negotiable part of your routine. This includes getting enough sleep, eating well, exercising regularly, and finding time for relaxation and leisure activities.

Reactions: 4 users

I work full-time with trauma in psychotherapy and--I swear--it can be the highest of the highs and the lowest of the lows. Best of times, worst of times. I think the Serenity Prayer is good practice in that context. I get enough intermittent reinforcement to keep be doing it, though. Had a guy on Friday tell me that I straight up saved his marriage (just by him coming in and working on his PTSD so he's no longer treating his wife angrily). Those kinds of things are really cool. I truly hope that you're able to keep going and have many years doing good work with these vulnerable populations...they need us :).

As a patient this sort of stuff can be really difficult to talk about, so thank you for being there for your patients and being willing to listen, I can say from my own experience it is appreciated even if we don't always express that out loud.

Having said that, I agree with what others have said about self care. Make sure you look after yourself.

Reactions: 3 users
It can get to you, I dont care what your name is. This is the nature of this field where we deal with the aftermath of terrible ****ed up things which happen in this world to our fellow human beings. You have to protect your sanity at all costs.

1.Regular Vacations: Take regular vacations or time off to disconnect from work completely. Use this time to recharge and spend quality time with loved ones.

2.Avoid Isolation: Maintain a healthy work-life balance by staying socially connected with friends and family. Isolation can contribute to burnout, so make an effort to nurture your personal relationships.

3.Self-Care: Prioritize self-care and make it a non-negotiable part of your routine. This includes getting enough sleep, eating well, exercising regularly, and finding time for relaxation and leisure activities.
Great list, show me a burnt out doc and I can virtually guarantee there is room to improve in one of these three areas. Take your vacation days, negotiate for more vacation days! There is no reason executives or other people dealing with non life/death situations should be taking more vacation than doctors.

Reactions: 2 users
This is a huge part of why I stick strictly to inpatient and consult. I quickly learned I'm not built to carry, even temporarily, multiple people's horrific traumas. Triage, stabilize, move on to next person.

Reactions: 1 users
i have really struggled with this, this year to the point where I wondered if I should consider therapy myself. What really helped me, was letting go. I know that sounds like its easier said than done, but accepting that I dont have control over everything and whatever happens each day will happen regardless of anything else. What will happen, will happen and control is an illusion that we constantly try to obtain as a way to curb our anxiety (as anxiety in itself is a desire to know/control outcomes we have no control over). We have no control over what people do with their lives. We only control how we react to difficult situations. There is no psychiatrist who is 100% correct and perfect, all we can really do is what we feel is the right thing in the moment.

I have really focused on letting go of feelings attached to psychiatry, my job, patient outcomes, etc.

i have really struggled with this, this year to the point where I wondered if I should consider therapy myself. What really helped me, was letting go. I know that sounds like its easier said than done, but accepting that I dont have control over everything and whatever happens each day will happen regardless of anything else. What will happen, will happen and control is an illusion that we constantly try to obtain as a way to curb our anxiety (as anxiety in itself is a desire to know/control outcomes we have no control over). We have no control over what people do with their lives. We only control how we react to difficult situations. There is no psychiatrist who is 100% correct and perfect, all we can really do is what we feel is the right thing in the moment.

I have really focused on letting go of feelings attached to psychiatry, my job, patient outcomes, etc.
Nothing wrong with therapy, but a mindfulness practice might be as (if not more so) effective for someone in your position. Or a peer discussion group with other psychiatrists.